athena5967
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I started my job august - I love it. The team is great, customers great, and an insanely nice boss. But I’ve been considering quitting for a few weeks now.
I have a super weak immune system. Since August I’ve had three colds/chest infections that required antibiotics, two almost hospitalisations, an elbow dislocation, and random bouts of bugs from school. Each time I’ve dragged myself into work, turns out I’m only allowed 1 day off a year without needing a guidance meeting (found that out from calling in sick after anaphylaxis). But I’m kind of sick of it. Even though I push myself into work for 3 hours, I can’t drag myself to school (wake up at 5:30 get home 5ish/9ish when I have work 1x a week). This in turn means I’m being left behind in topics, even if I’m in school I sleep through most of it cos I haven’t been healthy since August.

I don’t want to be weak but should I just give up? Ik I can’t when I’m older but I don’t want to destroy my future just so I can buy a car/pay for a year of uni now…
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by athena5967)
So I started my job august - I love it. The team is great, customers great, and an insanely nice boss. But I’ve been considering quitting for a few weeks now.
I have a super weak immune system. Since August I’ve had three colds/chest infections that required antibiotics, two almost hospitalisations, an elbow dislocation, and random bouts of bugs from school. Each time I’ve dragged myself into work, turns out I’m only allowed 1 day off a year without needing a guidance meeting (found that out from calling in sick after anaphylaxis). But I’m kind of sick of it. Even though I push myself into work for 3 hours, I can’t drag myself to school (wake up at 5:30 get home 5ish/9ish when I have work 1x a week). This in turn means I’m being left behind in topics, even if I’m in school I sleep through most of it cos I haven’t been healthy since August.

I don’t want to be weak but should I just give up? Ik I can’t when I’m older but I don’t want to destroy my future just so I can buy a car/pay for a year of uni now…
When you say school, are you still doing GCSEs, if so I would quit asap. A job at school is not worth the health or crap grades..you can get a job when you are at college if your timetable is less packed.

Then again if it's 1 day for 3 hours week, I'm not understanding what's the pressure in that but your clearly not coping???? Have you spoken with your employer see if they can reduce the hours you do over the 5 days or maybe do more on the weekend??

There's student loans for University (I know leads to debt which you have to pay for in the future) but you should be worried about saving for that you'll get that from the govt.

If your saving for life while I Univeristy accomodations then yes that's a different story. I'm unsure how much the Maintenance Loan covers but I guess some savings would come in use.
athena5967
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Ash1234)
When you say school, are you still doing GCSEs, if so I would quit asap. A job at school is not worth the health or crap grades..you can get a job when you are at college if your timetable is less packed.

Then again if it's 1 day for 3 hours week, I'm not understanding what's the pressure in that but your clearly not coping???? Have you spoken with your employer see if they can reduce the hours you do over the 5 days or maybe do more on the weekend??

There's student loans for University (I know leads to debt which you have to pay for in the future) but you should be worried about saving for that you'll get that from the govt.

If your saving for life while I Univeristy accomodations then yes that's a different story. I'm unsure how much the Maintenance Loan covers but I guess some savings would come in use.
Hiya! I’m doing my first year of IB atm and I work 4-5 hours Saturday and Sunday as well (sorry for the confusion). Yeah your probably right, IB is a nightmare to cope with (think 3 a levels, 3 as levels, epq, and compulsory extracurricular activities 😪) and I’m literally just passed out all day from my body constantly trying to heal itself,,, I probably just wanted someone to push me into a decision lol. Thankssss
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by athena5967)

Hello there

I am really sorry to hear that you have been struggling with weak immune system lately. Your health and wellbeing should always go first.

I completely understand that leaving a job doesn't feel great, especially if you like it and you get along with everyone, but you need to put yourself first. Leaving a job is not been weak. You could find a more flexible job, maybe an online one that you can do from home. There are some great online jobs that are really flexible.

I hope you start feeling better soon!
Best wishes
Andrea
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes, absolutely you should quit before you get sacked because of all the absences. The money will sort itself out, but you need to sort your health out, that needs to take priority, as well as your studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed