The Student Room Group

Applying to unis with lower grades

Im pretty sure I've failed to improve my predicted grades of A*BB and I'm applying to uni very soon.
I've chose 5, however I don't know if it is an appropriate range of grade boundaries to apply to. For context, I did well in my GCSEs (3 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s) and have completed EPQ and am waiting for a result.
I'm applying for uni's with entry:
AAB
AAB (ABB WITH A IN EPQ)
AAB ( ABB WITH B IN EPQ, BBB IF FIRMED)
AAB-ABB (standard offer)
BBB

Is this too high? I'm thinking because my GCSEs were good and I've done epq and I have A*BB instead of ABB, I probably have a good change at getting into the last two, and maybe one of the three aspirational ones.
Or should I change one. Thank u ‼️
Subject?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Subject?

Psychology
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkgubel
Im pretty sure I've failed to improve my predicted grades of A*BB and I'm applying to uni very soon.
I've chose 5, however I don't know if it is an appropriate range of grade boundaries to apply to. For context, I did well in my GCSEs (3 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s) and have completed EPQ and am waiting for a result.
AAB
AAB (ABB WITH A IN EPQ)
AAB-ABB (standard offer)
BBB

Is this too high? I'm thinking because my GCSEs were good and I've done epq and I have A*BB instead of ABB, I probably have a good change at getting into the last two, and maybe one of the three aspirational ones.

They seem sensible to me. If you get an A in EPQ you will have met all of them, except the first one, but even then, points wise it's the same, so they should hopefully be flexible. Nothing wrong with having 1 or 2 above your predicted, as you don't want to end up with 5 safe options, and then having to dismiss 3. You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take, as they say.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lalexm
They seem sensible to me. If you get an A in EPQ you will have met all of them, expect the first one, but even then, points wise it's the same, so they should hopefully be flexible. Nothing wrong with having 1 or 2 above your predicted, as you don't want to end up with 5 safe options, and then having to dismiss 3. You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take, as they say.

but what if they require specified units like they do in uni of bristol (for biochemistry) ?

i only do 2 of the 6 units they need.
AAB
AAB (ABB WITH A IN EPQ)
AAB-ABB (standard offer)
BBB

You have 4 you dont meet the requirements for. The 4th will probably be AAB unless your entitled to a contextual offer when it will be ABB. Universities at that level dont use ucas points so ignore that comment. You might get offers from the 2nd and 3rd if you get the appropriate EPQ grade,

Nobody knows how strict universities will be this year following CAG grades in previous years. Whether you go ahead with your top 4 depends on how risky you want to make it and what grade you are likely to get iin the EPQ.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
You have 4 you dont meet the requirements for. The 4th will probably be AAB unless your entitled to a contextual offer when it will be ABB. Universities at that level dont use ucas points so ignore that comment. You might get offers from the 2nd and 3rd if you get the appropriate EPQ grade,

Nobody knows how strict universities will be this year following CAG grades in previous years. Whether you go ahead with your top 4 depends on how risky you want to make it and what grade you are likely to get iin the EPQ.

no i said that the AAB-ABB was the standard offer. BBB-BBC is the contextual offer for that uni. and for the AAB with B in epq uni, they said they would give me an offer for the regular psychology course which is ABB if i dont get onto the masters. So there is three which will likely give me offers.
Reply 7

but based on what you say ive changed it to
AAB (ABB WITH A IN EPQ)
AAB ( ABB WITH B IN EPQ, BBB IF FIRMED, and if rejected from this course they will likely offer me the BSc which is ABB standard entry)
AAB-ABB (standard offer not the contextual)
BBB
but based on what you say ive changed it to
AAB (ABB WITH A IN EPQ)
AAB ( ABB WITH B IN EPQ, BBB IF FIRMED, and if rejected from this course they will likely offer me the BSc which is ABB standard entry)
BBB

Where a list of grades is shown usually the higher grade is the normal grade and the lower grade is the contextual offer. There occasionally can be cases where a grade is dropped if you have taken a specific subject but nearly every university that lists the grade in this way the lower grade is the contextual offer. As I said previously the key factor is how big a risk do you wish to take. That is something only you can decide. The likely EPQ grade is something only you know and obviously that is a factor as is whether you meet the contextual conditions to get anu contextual offers.
Reply 9
Where a list of grades is shown usually the higher grade is the normal grade and the lower grade is the contextual offer. There occasionally can be cases where a grade is dropped if you have taken a specific subject but nearly every university that lists the grade in this way the lower grade is the contextual offer. As I said previously the key factor is how big a risk do you wish to take. That is something only you can decide. The likely EPQ grade is something only you know and obviously that is a factor as is whether you meet the contextual conditions to get anu contextual offers.

But it's not?
It says standard offer AAB-ABB and I asked about it and they said it's because they consider GCSE grades and personal statement.
In addition the contextual offer is BBB-BBC... It says it. So the contextual offer is not ABB.
But it's not?
It says standard offer AAB-ABB and I asked about it and they said it's because they consider GCSE grades and personal statement.
In addition the contextual offer is BBB-BBC... It says it. So the contextual offer is not ABB.

That is extremely unusual.
Reply 11
That is extremely unusual.

Yeah, I have seen it is different on different uni websites. However for Sussex it is like this, and Kent doesn't offer contextual offers for my course.
Reply 12
My grades are ABBB and I would like to apply to Pharmacology at Bristol and UCL, and Bath, choices also in that order, which all require AAB, Bristol says BBB-AAB but thats contextual. Do you guys think I have a chance? The other 2 uni's only require BBB
Original post by Mangle
My grades are ABBB and I would like to apply to Pharmacology at Bristol and UCL, and Bath, choices also in that order, which all require AAB, Bristol says BBB-AAB but thats contextual. Do you guys think I have a chance? The other 2 uni's only require BBB

Yes you have a chance but nobody knows how likely it is you will get an offer. The likelyhood is any offer if made will be the standard of AAB. If you havent applied yet why not drop one of Bs to make it more likely you get AAB. If you have already submitted your application you would need the universities agreement to drop a subject.
Reply 14
Anywheys i applied to 4 that were 'higher than my predicted' and I got all the offers so 🙄
Reply 15
Anywheys i applied to 4 that were 'higher than my predicted' and I got all the offers so 🙄

Great well done. It is always good to be ambitious with at least some of them as per my earlier post.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest