The Student Room Group

Unable to connnect Xbox Series S to WiFi - University of Brighton

I'm a student at the University of Brighton, and I've been unable to connect my Xbox Series S to the eduroam WiFi. I've used both suggested methods from the university, but neither has worked? Is there anyone in halls of residence who's been able to conncet their console (preferably Xbox Series S) to the eduroam WiFi? Or I have got the same issue as everyone else? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Original post by FreddieHW73
I'm a student at the University of Brighton, and I've been unable to connect my Xbox Series S to the eduroam WiFi. I've used both suggested methods from the university, but neither has worked? Is there anyone in halls of residence who's been able to conncet their console (preferably Xbox Series S) to the eduroam WiFi? Or I have got the same issue as everyone else? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would recommend using the ethernet port in your residence and connect a router that connects via an ethernet port and then you can connect how you want to with your own password. It might be that you have too many connections to Eduroam or it doesn't allow you to enter the values correctly needed like your id AND password. That is the best method I would recommend. With the router, you can use your own wifi and it will be a much simpler process. If not then speak to a member of the IT team and they might help. That is the best solution I can come up with. It will also give you better coverage as the signal will be stronger and also 4 ethernet ports for other things and faster internet for other devices. If you want to go down the router route get gigabit equipment. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by High Aimer
I would recommend using the ethernet port in your residence and connect a router that connects via an ethernet port and then you can connect how you want to with your own password. It might be that you have too many connections to Eduroam or it doesn't allow you to enter the values correctly needed like your id AND password. That is the best method I would recommend. With the router, you can use your own wifi and it will be a much simpler process. If not then speak to a member of the IT team and they might help. That is the best solution I can come up with. It will also give you better coverage as the signal will be stronger and also 4 ethernet ports for other things and faster internet for other devices. If you want to go down the router route get gigabit equipment. Good luck :smile:

Thank you for your help! By "router", do you mean a WiFi router that I should purchase myself? I have tried using an ethernet cable from the ethernet port straight to my Xbox, which brings up a message saying I'm connected, however whenever I try to open an app or game it says I'm not logged in. If you're suggesting that I buy a WiFi router myself, then I'll gladly take your advice and try that out! I'll also look into your suggested gigabit equipment.
Original post by FreddieHW73
Thank you for your help! By "router", do you mean a WiFi router that I should purchase myself? I have tried using an ethernet cable from the ethernet port straight to my Xbox, which brings up a message saying I'm connected, however whenever I try to open an app or game it says I'm not logged in. If you're suggesting that I buy a WiFi router myself, then I'll gladly take your advice and try that out! I'll also look into your suggested gigabit equipment.

I would suggest buying a router that you can connect to from the ethernet port. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-MU-MIMO-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=router&qid=1633866176&sr=8-3&th=1

I could not recommend going any cheaper than the £49.99 as this will give you good coverage and fast speeds. This comes with gigabit ethernet ports and also connecting your Xbox to it using the ethernet ports on the router. It also has a VPN feature as your university might be blocking consoles from being uses. As on other threads:

"Recent changes to the way that Eduroam authenticates users inherently prevents consoles from connecting due to the requirement for extra software within the transaction process, as such anything which is incompatible with these processes now have to connect on domain specific networks."

Link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6186058

It might ask you to log in via the router for your eduroam log in but i dont think it will. Then you can connect your xbox to the router and use it and have a better connection and have spare ethernet ports with good wifi coverage as i think the routers in residence cover a lot of people so you having your own will help with getting better speeds.

If that still doesnt work another solution could be using a VPN on the router once you have logged in. Here is a tutorial:

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=tOQfSgoGYXA&ab_channel=TechManPat

Then it will make what is going on. If you still have problems after this then you will need to speak to IT. Good Luck :smile:

Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest