jannythejanware
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
would it be stupid of me to apply to economics as a fifth choice if applying to medicine?
jannythejanware
Rep:
?
my statement is for medicine but i have the grades for it. i just don't want to do pharmacy or biomed as a backup.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Read this thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7109794
Last edited by hungrysalamander; 1 week ago
PAR2MED
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The recommendation you will get here is, if you want to do medicine then only apply to 4 medicine course and leave your 5th choice blank for a number of reasons.

1) If you want to study medicine, never do an alternative degree purely with the aim of going on to do graduate entry medicine. It's more expensive, much more competitive, and will take longer.

2) If you get offered a place on the 5th choice, then you will not be eligible for clearing as you cannot enter clearing if you hold an offer.

If medicine is what you want to do, then only apply for medicine.
jannythejanware
Rep:
?
its my second gap year, so thats why im kinda confused. coz i really dont want to pharmacy or biomed. i know most responses will be like do post graduate, but honestly i dont want to that to myself.
PAR2MED
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most responses will actually be the opposite! GEM is definitely not the recommended route for aspiring doctors who do not currently have a degree. My advice - leave the 5th choice blank. If you don't get in, use the year to fix what went wrongs (grades, experience, interview technique...) and go again. Ultimately, you've got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste 3 years on a degree you're not that interested in.

Good Luck, whatever decision you make!
jannythejanware
Rep:
?
im pretty sure in scotland its after your second gap year, your grades expire then you need to college to resit, that what ive heard from someone who was in the same position as me. so that why PAR2MED
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jannythejanware)
its my second gap year, so thats why im kinda confused. coz i really dont want to pharmacy or biomed. i know most responses will be like do post graduate, but honestly i dont want to that to myself.
The responses wouldn't be to do GEM normally, that's usually a bad idea if your aim is medicine and you have not already started another degree. If you're a school leaver you are much better off taking another gap year(s) to improve your application.

However if after several application cycles you were unsuccessful you would really need to have a good idea of why you are being unsuccessful in your applications e.g. regularly doing poorly in the admissions tests, poor interview performance, or if there is some existing issue that is a barrier e.g. not having a minimum GCSE grade you haven't retaken, or some fitness to practice issue - or if you're just choosing which medical schools to apply to poorly. That way you can hopefully address the issue - no point reapplying if you are just making the same errors/have the same problem each time!

The above questions might be something to consider for now as well then - do you know why you were unsuccessful in previous application cycles? I'd recommend posting in the medicine stats/medical schools suggestions forum just on the off-chance it is that you aren't tactically choosing the med schools you are applying to very well.
PAR2MED
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
im pretty sure in scotland its after your second gap year, your grades expire then you need to college to resit, that what ive heard from someone who was in the same position as me. so that why PAR2MED
I think that specifics are down to individual universities as to how long ago they accept A-levels from. But as mentioned in the post just after yours, if you're not getting picked multiple years at any institution, that's worth having a good think about.
jannythejanware
Rep:
?
due to my inteview , so first year ucat, last year interviews and this year im trying again, my ucat is good and i know it was my interviews that let me down so thats my focus.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
would it be stupid of me to apply to economics as a fifth choice if applying to medicine?
Yes.

What? 100% the responses would be never ever do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. Take another gap year (or two) if you need.
jannythejanware
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes.

What? 100% the responses would be never ever do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. Take another gap year (or two) if you need.
but this is my second gap year and for my fifth choice i want to do a degree that Im actually interested. i dont want to take another gap year. i dont want to persue a degree like biomed and pharmacy for me to post graduate. i dont want to do post grad. . so would i be accepted into accountancy and economics?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
but this is my second gap year and for my fifth choice i want to do a degree that Im actually interested. i dont want to take another gap year. i dont want to persue a degree like biomed and pharmacy for me to post graduate. i dont want to do post grad. . so would i be accepted into accountancy and economics?
With a medicine PS? Depends on the University.

So you'll be giving up on Medicine? That's a shame.
jannythejanware
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
With a medicine PS? Depends on the University.

So you'll be giving up on Medicine? That's a shame.
unfortunately, . i have asked the unis just waiting for a response. i know some unis do request a second personal statement as that happen with my friend who picked biomed as her fifth subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads