This discussion is closed.
John Perry
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Rachel" <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>| AS/A levels in what ? Maths or easy targets like media studies and[/q1]
[q1]>sociology ?[/q1]
[q1]>| The number of students taking science subjects decreases year upon year.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>AS/A2 levels in a range of subjects. There are far more university graduates today than a couple of[/q1]
[q1]>decades ago. Don't you think that's a step forward?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>If you have a problem with the exams being too easy, tell the exam boards, not us. What I would[/q1]
[q1]>like to know is how you know they are so easy? Do you see the papers? Where do you get this[/q1]
[q1]>evidence?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The exams we are taking right now are hard - except for Maths IMO. You should have seen the[/q1]
[q1]>Chemistry paper (triple award science).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I for one won't listen to a critic who hasn't even seen recent exam papers - how *could* they know[/q1]
[q1]>what we were talking about? I don't know if you have - have you?[/q1]

Ok, but I just heard that complex numbers are not even in A level, they were in my time.

My 13 yr old lad had to find the factors of x^3 +3x + 8 = 0 for homework with a calculator, and he
found one of the three factors as
1.513 using an iterative approach. But what are the other two factors?

Not to difficult to work out, but not in A level syllabus, only in double maths A level syllabus.

[q1]>[/q1]

--
[email protected] (delete NOSPAM) www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Rachel
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Rawwwl!!!! :P

"Neil Monk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]| you go girl![/q1]
[q1]| --[/q1]
[q1]| Neil - "A guy in the right frame of mind can turn a blip around" - Naseem Hamed[/q1]
[q1]| (2002)- web: http://www.monkeysnet.co.uk Official alt.cellular.nokia.ringtones FAQ:[/q1]
[q1]| http://www.monkeysnet.co.uk/faq/faq.html email: [email protected] text's:[/q1]
[q1]| [email protected] msn: NMonk_uk[/q1]
[q1]| icq: 61568266 "Rachel" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]| news:%[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| > | AS/A levels in what ? Maths or easy targets like media studies and[/q1]
[q1]| > sociology ?[/q1]
[q1]| > | The number of students taking science subjects decreases year upon[/q1]
year.
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| > AS/A2 levels in a range of subjects. There are far more university graduates today than a couple[/q1]
[q1]| > of decades[/q1]
[q1]| ago.[/q1]
[q1]| > Don't you think that's a step forward?[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| > If you have a problem with the exams being too easy, tell the exam[/q1]
boards,
[q1]| > not us. What I would like to know is how you know they are so easy? Do[/q1]
you
[q1]| > see the papers? Where do you get this evidence?[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| > The exams we are taking right now are hard - except for Maths IMO. You should have seen the[/q1]
[q1]| > Chemistry paper (triple award science).[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| > I for one won't listen to a critic who hasn't even seen recent exam[/q1]
[q1]| papers -[/q1]
[q1]| > how *could* they know what we were talking about? I don't know if you[/q1]
[q1]| have -[/q1]
[q1]| > have you?[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
Eva
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Rachel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> And I'm doing French, Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
You're really going for the "ologys" there.. good mix! EVa
Rachel
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"EVa" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]| "Rachel" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]| news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]| > And I'm doing French, Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology.[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]| You're really going for the "ologys" there.. good mix![/q1]

lol good point! I need to have the sciences to do Biomedical Sciences at uni, I'm good at French,
and Psychology just seemed like fun Rachel

[q1]| EVa[/q1]
[q1]| >[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]
Zeba
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:59:40 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Zeba wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:14:54 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> >Rachel wrote:[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >> Yes they are easier, unfortunately I don't have anything to scan. :-([/q2]
[q2]>> >>[/q2]
[q2]>> >> O levels are actually 3/4 as hard as GCSE's, and GCSE's have gotten easier from the year they[/q2]
[q2]>> >> were introduced.[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >Also bear in mind that until about 1978/9 depending on the exam board, candidates were not[/q2]
[q2]>> >allowed to use calculators and that they had to learn how to use mathematical tables of trig[/q2]
[q2]>> >functions, logarithms and square roots. O level maths books until the early 80s showed how to[/q2]
[q2]>> >use tables properly.[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >Kids today get things too easy.[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]

<snip>

[q1]>Also take into account that double GCSE science is easier and contains far less material than the O[/q1]
[q1]>level chemistry, physics and biology course although only a small proportion of students took all[/q1]
[q1]>three sciences to O level. Take my word for[/q1]
[q1]>it: Those science O levels were difficult stuff.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
GCSE Double Science isn't the same as O level chemistry, physics and biology combined. It is an
unfair comparison to make, really you should be comparing these O levels to the GCSE Triple Award
Science course. In Double Science you get two GCSEs rather than three. Most of the schools which
offer this course are those which cannot cater for the Triple Award Science course. You'll find
that a lot of the material in the the Triple Award Science course are similar to that of the O
level courses.

[q1]>Maths GCSE is a joke. Especially intermediate level which is not much more difficult or contain[/q1]
[q1]>more subject material than the 11 plus maths exam and far simpler than the CSE which it replaced.[/q1]
[q1]>Its a load of rubbish that todays exams are easier than the 1989 GCSE.[/q1]
The Technical M
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Zeba wrote:

[q1]> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:59:40 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Zeba wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:14:54 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> >Rachel wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >> Yes they are easier, unfortunately I don't have anything to scan. :-([/q2]
[q2]> >> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> >> O levels are actually 3/4 as hard as GCSE's, and GCSE's have gotten easier from the year[/q2]
[q2]> >> >> they were introduced.[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >Also bear in mind that until about 1978/9 depending on the exam board, candidates were not[/q2]
[q2]> >> >allowed to use calculators and that they had to learn how to use mathematical tables of trig[/q2]
[q2]> >> >functions, logarithms and square roots. O level maths books until the early 80s showed how to[/q2]
[q2]> >> >use tables properly.[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >Kids today get things too easy.[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> <snip>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Also take into account that double GCSE science is easier and contains far less material than the[/q2]
[q2]> >O level chemistry, physics and biology course although only a small proportion of students took[/q2]
[q2]> >all three sciences to O level. Take my word for[/q2]
[q2]> >it: Those science O levels were difficult stuff.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> GCSE Double Science isn't the same as O level chemistry, physics and biology combined. It is an[/q1]
[q1]> unfair comparison to make, really you should be comparing these O levels to the GCSE Triple Award[/q1]
[q1]> Science course. In Double Science you get two GCSEs rather than three. Most of the schools which[/q1]
[q1]> offer this course are those which cannot cater for the Triple Award Science course. You'll find[/q1]
[q1]> that a lot of the material in the the Triple Award Science course are similar to that of the O[/q1]
[q1]> level courses.[/q1]

On average what proportion of schools offer triple science ? None in my area do. They only offer
single or double award. This triple science must be a postcode lottery available to the lucky few.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Maths GCSE is a joke. Especially intermediate level which is not much more difficult or contain[/q2]
[q2]> >more subject material than the 11 plus maths exam and far simpler than the CSE which it replaced.[/q2]
[q2]> >Its a load of rubbish that todays exams are easier than the 1989 GCSE.[/q2]
Eva
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Zeba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:59:40 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Zeba wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:14:54 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> >Rachel wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >> Yes they are easier, unfortunately I don't have anything to scan.[/q2]
[q1]:-([/q1]
[q2]> >> >>[/q2]
[q2]> >> >> O levels are actually 3/4 as hard as GCSE's, and GCSE's have gotten[/q2]
easier
[q2]> >> >> from the year they were introduced.[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >Also bear in mind that until about 1978/9 depending on the exam board, candidates were not[/q2]
[q2]> >> >allowed to use calculators and that they had to[/q2]
learn how
[q2]> >> >to use mathematical tables of trig functions, logarithms and square[/q2]
roots. O
[q2]> >> >level maths books until the early 80s showed how to use tables[/q2]
properly.
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >> >Kids today get things too easy.[/q2]
[q2]> >> >[/q2]
[q2]> >>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> <snip>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Also take into account that double GCSE science is easier and contains[/q2]
far less
[q2]> >material than the O level chemistry, physics and biology course although[/q2]
only a
[q2]> >small proportion of students took all three sciences to O level. Take my[/q2]
word for
[q2]> >it: Those science O levels were difficult stuff.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]> GCSE Double Science isn't the same as O level chemistry, physics and biology combined. It is an[/q1]
[q1]> unfair comparison to make, really you should be comparing these O levels to the GCSE Triple Award[/q1]
[q1]> Science course. In Double Science you get two GCSEs rather than three. Most of the schools which[/q1]
[q1]> offer this course are those which cannot cater for the Triple Award Science course. You'll find[/q1]
[q1]> that a lot of the material in the the Triple Award Science course are similar to that of the O[/q1]
[q1]> level courses.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Maths GCSE is a joke. Especially intermediate level which is not much[/q2]
more
[q2]> >difficult or contain more subject material than the 11 plus maths exam[/q2]
and far
[q2]> >simpler than the CSE which it replaced. Its a load of rubbish that todays[/q2]
exams
[q2]> >are easier than the 1989 GCSE.[/q2]

I agree, I did the 11plus (and yes I did pass) and when I looked at the Intermediate level I just
laughed! EVa
Rachel
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]|[/q1]
[q1]| On average what proportion of schools offer triple science ? None in my[/q1]
area do. They
[q1]| only offer single or double award. This triple science must be a postcode[/q1]
lottery
[q1]| available to the lucky few.[/q1]
[q1]|[/q1]

Not so much a lottery, but offered usually from private schools (I went to a private school and I
did triple science). Not many schools offer triple award at all. I think it needs more recognition,
as we have no revision guides available for it, hardly any resources on the web, practically
nothing. It was pretty hard to keep up with.

Rachel
Eva
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> | On average what proportion of schools offer triple science ? None in my[/q1]
[q1]> area do. They[/q1]
[q1]> | only offer single or double award. This triple science must be a[/q1]
postcode
[q1]> lottery[/q1]
[q1]> | available to the lucky few.[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I could do- Double award (Which I did) Seprate sci (triple sci) Salters... a mix of them all at a
higher level

But then I go to a Grammar school so maybe its different. EVa

[q1]> Not so much a lottery, but offered usually from private schools (I went to[/q1]
a
[q1]> private school and I did triple science). Not many schools offer triple award at all. I think it[/q1]
[q1]> needs more recognition, as we have no revision guides available for it, hardly any resources on[/q1]
[q1]> the web, practically nothing. It was pretty hard to keep up with.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Rachel[/q1]
The Technical M
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Rachel wrote:

[q1]> "EVa" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> | "Rachel" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> | news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]> | > And I'm doing French, Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology.[/q1]
[q1]> | >[/q1]
[q1]> | You're really going for the "ologys" there.. good mix![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> lol good point! I need to have the sciences to do Biomedical Sciences at uni, I'm good at French,[/q1]
[q1]> and Psychology just seemed like fun Rachel[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> | EVa[/q1]
[q1]> | >[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]

Seems a good enough choice.
Eva
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "EVa" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> | "Rachel" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> | news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]> | > And I'm doing French, Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology.[/q1]
[q1]> | >[/q1]
[q1]> | You're really going for the "ologys" there.. good mix![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> lol good point! I need to have the sciences to do Biomedical Sciences at uni, I'm good at French,[/q1]
[q1]> and Psychology just seemed like fun Rachel[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I see! I'm doing French, because my teacher said I'll a B for A-Level if I did it now, Maths -well
partly cuz my dad told me to & I was gonna to on of the cores and I didnt fancy eng or sci.
Politics- well it sounds good to do and looks good, Psychology because i'm quite good at it(more
from reading books n stuff) and it sounded fun! EVa
[q1]> | EVa[/q1]
[q1]> | >[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
[q1]> |[/q1]
Zeba
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:19:11 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Zeba wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:59:40 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> >Zeba wrote:[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:14:54 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]>> >>[/q2]
[q2]>> >> >[/q2]
[q2]>> >>[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> <snip>[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> >Also take into account that double GCSE science is easier and contains far less material than[/q2]
[q2]>> >the O level chemistry, physics and biology course although only a small proportion of students[/q2]
[q2]>> >took all three sciences to O level. Take my word for[/q2]
[q2]>> >it: Those science O levels were difficult stuff.[/q2]
[q2]>> >[/q2]
[q2]>> GCSE Double Science isn't the same as O level chemistry, physics and biology combined. It is an[/q2]
[q2]>> unfair comparison to make, really you should be comparing these O levels to the GCSE Triple Award[/q2]
[q2]>> Science course. In Double Science you get two GCSEs rather than three. Most of the schools which[/q2]
[q2]>> offer this course are those which cannot cater for the Triple Award Science course. You'll find[/q2]
[q2]>> that a lot of the material in the the Triple Award Science course are similar to that of the O[/q2]
[q2]>> level courses.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>On average what proportion of schools offer triple science ? None in my area do. They only offer[/q1]
[q1]>single or double award. This triple science must be a postcode lottery available to the lucky few.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I think that the number of school offering triple award science is falling. The school I go to
doesn't offer it either which is a shame but I think the over the last few years national teacher
shortages and problems with money in education can be to blame for this.
Zeba
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:22:00 +0000 (UTC), "EVa" <[email protected] > wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>"Zeba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]>> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:59:40 +0100, The Technical Manager <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]

[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> >Maths GCSE is a joke. Especially intermediate level which is not much[/q2]
[q1]>more[/q1]
[q2]>> >difficult or contain more subject material than the 11 plus maths exam[/q2]
[q1]>and far[/q1]
[q2]>> >simpler than the CSE which it replaced. Its a load of rubbish that todays[/q2]
[q1]>exams[/q1]
[q2]>> >are easier than the 1989 GCSE.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I agree, I did the 11plus (and yes I did pass) and when I looked at the Intermediate level I just[/q1]
[q1]>laughed! EVa[/q1]
[q2]>> >[/q2]

I haven't looked at many of the intermediate past papers (I'm doing higher) but I do remember
looking at one which had a question in the intermediate similar to: Think of a cube. How many sides
does it have? This did make me wonder about how much of a waste my years of education are.
John Perry
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
John Perry <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>My 13 yr old lad had to find the factors of x^3 +3x + 8 = 0 for homework with a calculator, and he[/q1]
[q1]>found one of the three factors as[/q1]
[q1]>1.513 using an iterative approach. But what are the other two factors?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
So, is nobody going to rise to the challenge and solve this little problem for the 3 roots?....or
shall I put up the answer after 3 days ;-)
--
[email protected] (delete NOSPAM) www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads