The Student Room Group

Best laptop for uni

Does anyone have any recommendations for laptops to take to my university lectures? I was looking at the macbook air offer by apple which ends this weekend, but it's so much money that I would rather spend on other things. Almost everyone in my lectures have theirselves a macbook so I'm wondering if it really is as worth it as everyone thinks it is or if people are just buying it for the status. If it is recommended, I would buy it I just need a bit of convincing. But if anyone knows any good laptops otherwise, please tell me!
Reply 1
You’d really spend that much on an Apple laptop that does the exact same thing as other laptops? You’d only really use it for the internet, any word packages for essays/assessments and for your university apps. I used a HP laptop, it isn’t as expensive and it got me through my course just fine.
Reply 2
Original post by RatLadyy
You’d really spend that much on an Apple laptop that does the exact same thing as other laptops? You’d only really use it for the internet, any word packages for essays/assessments and for your university apps. I used a HP laptop, it isn’t as expensive and it got me through my course just fine.

Yeah, seems like a complete waste of money. Do you know the exact model of the laptop you used?
Original post by jt0613
Yeah, seems like a complete waste of money. Do you know the exact model of the laptop you used?

What's your course?

The recommendation will differ widely based on that.
Reply 4
Original post by Callicious
What's your course?

The recommendation will differ widely based on that.

I’m studying psychology! My coursework requires me to write a lot of essays, reports and presentations. My university wants to give us less exams this year so it is very coursework based.
Original post by jt0613
I’m studying psychology! My coursework requires me to write a lot of essays, reports and presentations. My university wants to give us less exams this year so it is very coursework based.

Aye, just about any regular laptop will do then. Realistically a Macbook maintains value better over time, but no one sells their 3-year-old laptop down the line, anyway :lol:

Grab yourself one of those cheap discount Mi laptops or whatever else, or go for a nice HP/whatever laptop. Unless you plan on doing something like gaming or whatever else on the side, that should be enough. Something you can convert to a tablet is a nice touch (as long as it has palm rejection/etc you can write on those, too (digitally).)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending