The Student Room Group

Can GCSES hold me back for Law School ??!!

Hi guys, I’m a year 12 student wanting to apply to law at university next year. My A-Levels are English Literature, History, Economics and Geography. However my GCSES weren’t the strongest, 98887776655 (9 in Eng Lit) (8 in Eng Lang ) (7 in Maths). Assuming I get good grades at AS and have a decent personal statement would I have a good shot at LSE, Durham and UCL?

As for Durham, LSE and UCL average law offer holders achieved a higher number of 8/9’s than I did (ranges from 5-7 avg 6 across all years ).It’s stressing me out a lot and I genuinely didn’t put any work in for GCSES due to mental health etc during covid and the disappointment over my results has affected my A-level motivation since these uni’s are the best aside from Oxbridge for graduate law employability.

Any advice would be much appreciated since I don’t want to grant myself false hope or enter the other extreme and beat myself up too soon. Since law is arguably comparable with medicine in regards to competition and if it’s unrealistic I should probably pursue a degree like History then convert. Any opinions?
Each Uni is dufferent but as just one example - Bristol scores Law applications with these weightings - GCSE 20% / A levels 40% / LNAT 40% - so you can see that in this example GCSEs are a tiny part of the assessment and your other scores are far more important

Your GCSEs are fine. Focus on your A levels as they are what really will matter.

Quick Reply

Latest