Can I legally drive on an ‘unclaimed test pass’?

Watch this thread
Jessln16
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have a question regarding my driving license. I passed my test mid July and had just moved house, I thought with the DVLA backlog that it would be safer to just do the test and send off my provisional and test pass certificate to Swansea (It wouldn’t allow me to do this online before my test, just kept telling me to contact the DVLA which was impossible with the strike action), which is exactly what I have done. I have just bought a car, but my provisional and test pass certificate are still with the DVLA, and could be for some time due to the backlog. I just want to check that I am legal to drive with the ‘unclaimed test pass’ that I have recorded on my license - this is my only evidence of passing the test. My license is still showing up as provisional on the system as I’m guessing that they just haven’t reached my paper application yet. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jessln16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
No unfortunately I had to send it off because it was a dual upgrade to full license as well as a change of address
Last edited by Jessln16; 7 months ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Did you at least take a photo of the certificate?

Theoretically you're eligible to drive, but the reality of the situation is that you'll struggle without your licence. Insurers are becoming increasingly demanding when it comes to validating licences.
Jessln16
Rep:
Oh, and on another note, my car is fully taxed and insured, I have put my driver number in and that my license was issued on the day that I passed my test, I’m now starting to wonder if this was a mistake?
Jessln16
Rep:
(Original post by IWMTom)
Did you at least take a photo of the certificate?

Theoretically you're eligible to drive, but the reality of the situation is that you'll struggle without your licence. Insurers are becoming increasingly demanding when it comes to validating licences.
Yes, thankfully I have been very aware of the DVLA situation and I have taken numerous photos of the front and back of the certificate and my provisional. I have also noted my driver number and all of the certificate numbers down in to a locked note on my phone just in case. Next week it will have been 10 weeks since I sent it off so I should be getting it back soon so I think I will just be patient.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jessln16)
Yes, thankfully I have been very aware of the DVLA situation and I have taken numerous photos of the front and back of the certificate and my provisional. I have also noted my driver number and all of the certificate numbers down in to a locked note on my phone just in case. Next week it will have been 10 weeks since I sent it off so I should be getting it back soon so I think I will just be patient.
Yes, more than likely.

DVLA are currently processing applications from the 23rd July, so it's looking like a processing time of 11 weeks right now.
TheDE
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Under section 88 of the road traffic act you may drive whilst your licence is being processed by the DVLA.
Jessln16
Rep:
(Original post by TheDE)
Under section 88 of the road traffic act you may drive whilst your licence is being processed by the DVLA.
Thanks for clarifying this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (59)
66.29%
No (23)
25.84%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.87%

Watched Threads