The Student Room Group

Got datixed for calling a nurse a “stupid mother f”

I was wondering how serious behavioural datixes are compared to datixes due to clinical errors?

I’m really fed up with the ward I’m in at the moment with everyone acting cranky towards me and I sometimes can’t hold back and give them a verbal tongue lashing, but this is the first datix I’ve gotten.

Currently on the CMT and my consultant said that I just need to watch my behaviour but otherwise I was a good doctor.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering how serious behavioural datixes are compared to datixes due to clinical errors?

I’m really fed up with the ward I’m in at the moment with everyone acting cranky towards me and I sometimes can’t hold back and give them a verbal tongue lashing, but this is the first datix I’ve gotten.

Currently on the CMT and my consultant said that I just need to watch my behaviour but otherwise I was a good doctor.

You "sometimes can't hold back?" So you have given people a "verbal lashing" with personal insults on more than one occasion? That sounds pretty poor tbh. You need to get a grip on yourself, control your temper and act like a professional.

Will it affect your career? As a one-off, probably not. But remember you need to get an MSF done at some point, and if you continue to behave like this in lots of placements it will raise serious concerns about your interpersonal skills.
You should think about another career if you really can’t control yourself. What happens when a patient annoys you? That’s assuming your post is true.
I don't think that's an appropriate use of a datix.

A datix is to report patient safety issues. The nurse in this situation should have submitted a complaint rather than a datix.

In any case, you need to be more careful about how you speak to people.

(As an aside, how can you be doing CMT? CMT doesn't exist anymore.)
I don't think that's an appropriate use of a datix.

A datix is to report patient safety issues. The nurse in this situation should have submitted a complaint rather than a datix.

In any case, you need to be more careful about how you speak to people.

(As an aside, how can you be doing CMT? CMT doesn't exist anymore.)

you are incorrect

Datix etc is for recording and reporting all unsafe situations

the OP poses a risk to theimselves, patients and colleagues

if it was a formal complaint the OP would currently be Suspended

Pretty unprofessional, basically. I'd have concerns as to how you'd successfully integrate onto a team with this sort of behaviour so early in your career.
Original post by InArduisFouette
you are incorrect

Datix etc is for recording and reporting all unsafe situations

the OP poses a risk to theimselves, patients and colleagues

if it was a formal complaint the OP would currently be Suspended

I think that's a bit of a stretch, personally. I don't think another staff member being rude is what the datix system is meant to be used for.

I don't think a formal complaint necessarily results in a staff member being suspended. (In fact, it definitely doesn't.)

I think a complaint would have been justified in this case.

It doesn't make sense to try and draw a comparison. What you're describing is unprofessional behaviour and it doesn't matter whether it's as serious as a clinical error, it's still not the way to behave in a professional work environment.

Related: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7062990
I think that's a bit of a stretch, personally. I don't think another staff member being rude is what the datix system is meant to be used for.

I don't think a formal complaint necessarily results in a staff member being suspended. (In fact, it definitely doesn't.)

I think a complaint would have been justified in this case.

thankyou for taking the time to demonstrate your ignorance and also your lack of belief in what you are saying , as demonstrated by your misuse of the anon posting function

calling another professional ' a stupid mother f***er' is a serious failure of professional behaviour and demonstrates a significant issue with impulse control and anger
Original post by InArduisFouette
thankyou for taking the time to demonstrate your ignorance and also your lack of belief in what you are saying , as demonstrated by your misuse of the anon posting function

calling another professional ' a stupid mother f***er' is a serious failure of professional behaviour and demonstrates a significant issue with impulse control and anger

How have I demonstrated my ignorance?

Of course it is a failure of professional behaviour. Please direct me to where I ever denied that?

It is an issue for a complaint, not a datix. Many nurses incorrectly use datixes to report petty disagreements with other staff members. I was very clear in my post that I believe a complaint would have been entirely justified here.

I have full belief in what I am saying.
How have I demonstrated my ignorance?

Of course it is a failure of professional behaviour. Please direct me to where I ever denied that?

It is an issue for a complaint, not a datix. Many nurses incorrectly use datixes to report petty disagreements with other staff members. I was very clear in my post that I believe a complaint would have been entirely justified here.

I have full belief in what I am saying.

We have a category in our datix system for incidences if verbal aggression, I’d class calling someone a “stupid mother****er” pretty aggressive. Emails of complaints can be easily brushed under the carpet, datix reports have to be responded to and are a matter of record. This makes it a bit harder to just dismiss so I see their reasoning for doing this.
Original post by moonkatt
We have a category in our datix system for incidences if verbal aggression, I’d class calling someone a “stupid mother****er” pretty aggressive. Emails of complaints can be easily brushed under the carpet, datix reports have to be responded to and are a matter of record. This makes it a bit harder to just dismiss so I see their reasoning for doing this.

exactly

it's also demonstrative of the attitude that still exists among some Medical Practitioners that abusive and aggression in the work place can be brushed under the carpet
(edited 2 years ago)
Making unprofessional comments, the workplace hostile, and bullying other members of staff is certainly worthy of a datix.
Reading some of the comments above, I'm wondering if this is an isolated incident. Or perhaps your colleagues have noticed this in your behaviour before, let off some of your previous incidents with warnings and now escalated it. Kind of like a 3 strikes and you're out thing?

Regardless, I think some of the comments are unnecessarily harsh and patronising. We all struggle with all sorts of different things, and maybe temper is your thing. Any personal issues that affect your work detrimentally can be managed by yourself independently, or by seeking therapy elsewhere. In the same way that anxiety can be managed, so can aggression. There's a reason why it's called anger management. Having said that, I think it would be useful for you to identify what it is at work that's frustrating you, and find an outlet for that anger you're holding on to. Lots of my medical colleagues enjoying boxing and martial arts for exactly this reason. You're better off channeling the aggression you feel at work into something more productive like these instead of losing control at work and getting into trouble. It will help you stay calm at work and better manage other staff members when things go wrong. I think it's worth getting your consultant and your educational supervisor on side - tell them both if you have concerns about how other people are working and maybe the management of the ward needs some extra scrutiny. But first you'll have to accept that these outbursts are causing you some problems at work, then do whatever you can to make sure it doesn't happen again. It sounds like your consultant still has confidence in your ability, so make sure you don't damage that trust with him/her.

Something that nobody else has picked up on yet: isn't CMT/IMT known for being one of the most frustrating things to work in? I've heard many stories from my friends about med reg life and they're horrendous. :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)

You can 'lash out' at people who deliver inexplicably crap results, without making a fool of yourself. It's a skill.

Sometimes, if you respond with total inert silence and a straight face, does the job equally.
(edited 2 years ago)
Good. No one goes to work to get verbally abused like that.

I sometimes can’t hold back and give them a verbal tongue lashing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending