The Student Room Group

what should i study? *desperate edition*

Help- i am going to university in September 2022 and i haven't decided what i want to study. Any different or unique suggestions are welcome!

I am mostly interested in science degrees or engineering (but also maybe something related to psychology?) but definitely not medicine. Subjects i enjoy more are biology and chemistry.

I would also love for people who are on these fields i mentioned to share their experience with their courses, what they like and what they dont!

Thank you!
Original post by lydiadiamant
Help- i am going to university in September 2022 and i haven't decided what i want to study. Any different or unique suggestions are welcome!

I am mostly interested in science degrees or engineering (but also maybe something related to psychology?) but definitely not medicine. Subjects i enjoy more are biology and chemistry.

I would also love for people who are on these fields i mentioned to share their experience with their courses, what they like and what they dont!

Thank you!

Hi, considering the early entry applications are due next week, I don't think you should do med/dent or apply to oxbridge right now, but maybe next year if you wish to take a gap year. If you enjoy bio, chemistry and psychology then you should maybe consider clinical psychology as it incorporates all of those subjects together and you can apply late too. Look into it, the modules are really interesting and lots of good universities are doing them such as UCL. However, the grade requirements for most are quite high, that being a*,a,a so just make sure you're able to get those grades. But there are a lot of routes you can do. Good luck!
Reply 2
Bioinformatic , genetics, biotechnology I highly recommend them
What is it about your subjects you like? What is it about them you don't like? How do you prefer learning and being assessed - long form prose writing, solving problems on exercise sheets, something else? Do you like lab work - either in general, or only specific kinds, and if the latter case, which do you like and why?

These kinds of things may help focus you on what it is you like about your current studies to select a subject that continues those things you like (while hopefully minimising those you don't like).

Also what subjects are you taking? This may define which options you could potentially pursue more than others (e.g. if you're not taking both A-level Maths and Physics, engineering you would most likely need to do a foundation year for).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending