Meal Plan+Advice

Watch
_itstomz_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, What is a meal plan and how does it work? Plus any other crucial advice you have for international students! Ive been offered a place at UoB which is my dream uni, now I am wondering what my next steps should be, anyone has a guide or something for international students? I do understand its pretty early, but I would like to get a head start, especially since I saw people struggling with visa applications. I have gotten my first offer, which is my firm and I do know I need to wait for the others before making a decision, can someone offer advice on how the process works? Im from Singapore!
Last edited by _itstomz_; 1 week ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _itstomz_)
Hello, What is a meal plan and how does it work? Plus any other crucial advice you have for international students! Ive been offered a place at UoB which is my dream uni, now I am wondering what my next steps should be, anyone has a guide or something for international students? I do understand its pretty early, but I would like to get a head start, especially since I saw people struggling with visa applications. I have gotten my first offer, which is my firm and I do know I need to wait for the others before making a decision, can someone offer advice on how the process works? Im from Singapore!
I’ve moved your thread to the International Lounge section, which is better suited for general advice for international students coming to the UK.

With regards to your meal plan question, do some of your uni choices have catered accommodation?
_itstomz_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
I’ve moved your thread to the International Lounge section, which is better suited for general advice for international students coming to the UK.

With regards to your meal plan question, do some of your uni choices have catered accommodation?
They say either self-catered or meal plan, self-catered I assume would be us buying/cooking our own meals. What is a meal plan and how does it work, is self-catered better? Can I do anything before firming my place, I do know I would have to wait for my other offers/decisions. I do have a series of questions, I apologise if I am bombarding the thread, as moving across the world is a huge step for me. If any Singaporean students could share your experience, it would mean the world to me!

1) How does the Visa application process work?
2) How do you decide on which accommodation you wish to live in?
3) Do they have accommodation for all 3 years?
4) What are the things that I would need to pack to bring over?
5) What is the cost of living like?
6) What are things I need to take note of in terms of safety?
7) I heard its very cold, is it really very cold there?
8) What are the pros/cons of being an international student in the UK?
9) How often can we go back home?
10) Any other advice for me, as I would like to start planning early, so im not panicking at the last minute!

Thank You So Much
Last edited by _itstomz_; 1 week ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _itstomz_)
They say either self-catered or meal plan, self-catered I assume would be us buying/cooking our own meals. What is a meal plan and how does it work, is self-catered better? Can I do anything before firming my place, I do know I would have to wait for my other offers/decisions. I do have a series of questions, I apologise if I am bombarding the thread, as moving across the world is a huge step for me. If any Singaporean students could share your experience, it would mean the world to me!

1) How does the Visa application process work?
2) How do you decide on which accommodation you wish to live in?
3) Do they have accommodation for all 3 years?
4) What are the things that I would need to pack to bring over?
5) What is the cost of living like?
6) What are things I need to take note of in terms of safety?
7) I heard its very cold, is it really very cold there?
8) What are the pros/cons of being an international student in the UK?
9) How often can we go back home?
10) Any other advice for me, as I would like to start planning early, so im not panicking at the last minute!

Thank You So Much
I am a British member of university staff so if it is okay, I will address just a couple of your questions to start. I am sure other international students can speak more honestly about life in the U.K.!

If by UoB you mean the university of Birmingham, then there is more information about their meal plan here:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a.../mealplan.aspx

In simple terms, for a fixed weekly fee, you receive credit on a charge card that can be used at several eateries on campus. This also gives you a small discount on the usual prices. It may be a good option if you think you will be eating on campus a lot, and not making your own meals all the time. Most uni’s in the U.K. are self catering, but some offer varying levels of catering to students.

Regarding safety, I think it is easiest to consider that their are generally two types of Uni in the U.K., either a city based university or a campus one.

Campus universities are like a small town that is some distance away from the city that gives the Uni its name. They are a good choice if you don’t like the hustle and bustle of a big city. They are very safe places to be. The vast majority of people there will be students or staff. They will be supported by local security teams who are usually uniformed and patrol regularly. The campus area will also be covered by lots of CCTV. That’s not to say that they can be no crime at all, but it would most often be petty things like thefts from rooms and suchlike. So long as you take precautions such as locking your room, you are very unlikely to experience anything of note. Campus security will often have webpages giving advice on how to stay safe.

City universities are situated in city centres. They can be busy and a bit overwhelming, but there will be much more choice of shops, eating places and things to do. Major cities in the U.K. are generally safe, but you should take sensible precautions such as not waving around expensive items such as cameras or phones. It can be best to avoid walking around by yourself, especially if it is late at night, or is an area you are not familiar with. Just treat it the same as somewhere you might go on holiday, where you more than likely be fine and have a great time, but keep your wits about you and try not to be naive if you are approached. Again, campus security teams will have lots of advice and can let you know if there is anything in particular you should look out for.
Last edited by Admit-One; 1 week ago
_itstomz_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
I am a British member of university staff so if it is okay, I will address just a couple of your questions to start. I am sure other international students can speak more honestly about life in the U.K.!

If by UoB you mean the university of Birmingham, then there is more information about their meal plan here:

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/study/a.../mealplan.aspx

In simple terms, for a fixed weekly fee, you receive credit on a charge card that can be used at several eateries on campus. This also gives you a small discount on the usual prices. It may be a good option if you think you will be eating on campus a lot, and not making your own meals all the time. Most uni’s in the U.K. are self catering, but some offer varying levels of catering to students.

Regarding safety, I think it is easiest to consider that their are generally two types of Uni in the U.K., either a city based university or a campus one.

Campus universities are like a small town that is some distance away from the city that gives the Uni its name. They are a good choice if you don’t like the hustle and bustle of a big city. They are very safe places to be. The vast majority of people there will be students or staff. They will be supported by local security teams who are usually uniformed and patrol regularly. The campus area will also be covered by lots of CCTV. That’s not to say that they can be no crime at all, but it would most often be petty things like thefts from rooms and suchlike. So long as you take precautions such as locking your room, you are very unlikely to experience anything of note. Campus security will often have webpages giving advice on how to stay safe.

City universities are situated in city centres. They can be busy and a bit overwhelming, but there will be much more choice of shops, eating places and things to do. Major cities in the U.K. are generally safe, but you should take sensible precautions such as not waving around expensive items such as cameras or phones. It can be best to avoid walking around by yourself, especially if it is late at night, or is an area you are not familiar with. Just treat it the same as somewhere you might go on holiday, where you more than likely be fine and have a great time, but keep your wits about you and try not to be naive if you are approached. Again, campus security teams will have lots of advice and can let you know if there is anything in particular you should look out for.
wow! thank you so much, this has cleared up two of my major worries! The university of Birmingham is a campus university, so it has put my mind at ease. As for catering, I think I might choose to get self-catering. Thank you so much for helping me!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (152)
55.07%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.42%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.8%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.71%

Watched Threads