jessh1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Is anyone else doing 3 adv highers and a higher this year or last year? Is it similar to the workload from higher?
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am doing 2 AH and 2H. While my Advanced Highers are harder this year (Maths and Physics), so far, the workload outside of school has not been any more than Highers, probably also helped by there not being any project again this year for Physics.

The free column + study periods help, but I need to make the effort to organise myself in advance to make sure I get the most out of each of them and not get drawn into spending the period talking to friends. We only get 3 face to face lessons a week for each AH so I have 12 study periods a week for self study in school and probably do another 10 a week outside of school, but that was the same as I did 5 Higher. If anything I find it easier having only 4 subjects which are now all subjects I enjoy instead of having subjects I needed to make a lot more effort with such as English taking up too much time.
jessh1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
I am doing 2 AH and 2H. While my Advanced Highers are harder this year (Maths and Physics), so far, the workload outside of school has not been any more than Highers, probably also helped by there not being any project again this year for Physics.

The free column + study periods help, but I need to make the effort to organise myself in advance to make sure I get the most out of each of them and not get drawn into spending the period talking to friends. We only get 3 face to face lessons a week for each AH so I have 12 study periods a week for self study in school and probably do another 10 a week outside of school, but that was the same as I did 5 Higher. If anything I find it easier having only 4 subjects which are now all subjects I enjoy instead of having subjects I needed to make a lot more effort with such as English taking up too much time.
Im doing adv maths and physics too! im also doing adv bio and higher chemistry but the workload still feels a lot less than higher atm. adv higher physics feels pretty similar to higher rn but maths feels like a much bigger jump.
Joshwoods01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
if either of you need help with maths I'm happy to help! in my 3rd year of uni doing it 😊
nathanbuch22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jessh1234)
Is anyone else doing 3 adv highers and a higher this year or last year? Is it similar to the workload from higher?
I'm doing 3 AH and 1 H this year - I did 6H last year. I definitely feel that I've got an easier workload this year when compared to last. However, I did self-study a Higher last year, and so I reckon that could be why it feels easier this year. Also, the subjects which I am sitting this year are (obviously) those for which I have the greatest passion, meaning that I don't have any subjects (unlike last year) which I am not so passionate for.
jessh1234
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nathanbuch22)
I'm doing 3 AH and 1 H this year - I did 6H last year. I definitely feel that I've got an easier workload this year when compared to last. However, I did self-study a Higher last year, and so I reckon that could be why it feels easier this year. Also, the subjects which I am sitting this year are (obviously) those for which I have the greatest passion, meaning that I don't have any subjects (unlike last year) which I am not so passionate for.
6 highers?? omg, what one did u self study?
nathanbuch22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
6 highers?? omg, what one did u self study?
I did English, Modern, History, Maths, Physics and self-studied Chem.
jessh1234
Rep:
?
oooof, literally studying higher chem (my crash higher) rn and even with support from teachers its frying my brain
nathanbuch22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
oooof, literally studying higher chem (my crash higher) rn and even with support from teachers its frying my brain
Haha, what unit are you on? For me the third unit we did - the one with all the calculations - was a nightmare!
jessh1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by nathanbuch22)
Haha, what unit are you on? For me the third unit we did - the one with all the calculations - was a nightmare!
structure and bonding lol literally still the first unit, my teacher said it would be the hardest stuff to understand for ppl crashing it and omg i hate it. reaction rates and periodicity were alright but this is hell
nathanbuch22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
structure and bonding lol literally still the first unit, my teacher said it would be the hardest stuff to understand for ppl crashing it and omg i hate it. reaction rates and periodicity were alright but this is hell
Ah, right. That's definitely not fun for people crashing it haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (34)
87.18%
No (5)
12.82%

Watched Threads