Can I use this as my method of study at uni

Watch
success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Yeah my plan is: if you write down ur lecture notes before the lecture your familiarising yourself with it. Then when you have the actual lecturer it’s like re learning it do it goes into your brain more and answers anymore questions you have. Then you write it from laptop to your folder and paper and then revision notes that counts as studying right? At least my cousin said it is. So I think it’s a good idea. I can sit there and just listen in the lecture apart from the sections I have wrote MAKE NOTES ON THIS for the parts I didn’t bother to write down because there was no context to photos or diagrams
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by success4life)
Yeah my plan is: if you write down ur lecture notes before the lecture your familiarising yourself with it. Then when you have the actual lecturer it’s like re learning it do it goes into your brain more and answers anymore questions you have. Then you write it from laptop to your folder and paper and then revision notes that counts as studying right? At least my cousin said it is. So I think it’s a good idea. I can sit there and just listen in the lecture apart from the sections I have wrote MAKE NOTES ON THIS for the parts I didn’t bother to write down because there was no context to photos or diagrams
Hi success4life,

Different study methods work for different people, so give it a go and see if it's a good fit for you! I did something similar in making notes on the powerpoint slides ahead of the lecture so I could concentrate on what the lecturer was saying instead of spending the whole time copying the slides. This helped me pick up really useful points that I otherwise would have missed. Writing it up again after helped solidify my understanding which in turn made me product better assignments. Give it a go

Lucy
success4life
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi success4life,

Different study methods work for different people, so give it a go and see if it's a good fit for you! I did something similar in making notes on the powerpoint slides ahead of the lecture so I could concentrate on what the lecturer was saying instead of spending the whole time copying the slides. This helped me pick up really useful points that I otherwise would have missed. Writing it up again after helped solidify my understanding which in turn made me product better assignments. Give it a go

Lucy
Yess ready to give this ago. Thank you for the comment it reassures me
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes and no. By all means spend this amount of time on lecture notes if required, but lectures are usually the bare bones or the big picture -the real work will be done in what you read yourself, and I think you will need to spend more time on that than on lecture material. Beware of spreading yourself too thinly or focussing on the wrong bits of the course.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

That sounds great - it really seems as though you've thought this through! Have an experiment, and see what works for you. What might work for someone might not work for you (and vice versa), so the start of term is a great time to try new things and see what 'sticks'. Just make sure that you're managing your time effectively, and that you have a good work / life balance. University is a great opportunity to learn, but it's also so much more than that in the sense of it's a whole new culture - it's all about achieving that work-life balance

Best of luck to you!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This sounds like an extremely passive way of learning. You might want to look into more active ways of learning and understanding information - it'll save you a lot of time and hand strain.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Copying out your notes 3 or 4 times sounds a lot like busywork to me - you don't want to get into the habit of thinking you've done meaningful revision when actually it's just passive copying.

You haven't mentioned anything about independent study in your post (in terms of wider reading and criticism), which is even more important to your development than the contents of lecture slides.
Kingston University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello there

It sounds like a good one!

What works best for me is to do my reading first, then I create mental maps or I write a short summary. Once I feel kind of confident I meet up with my friends and we explain the topic to each other. I find that is the best way to make sure you are understanding everything.

But you have to do whatever works best for you! I will try your method and let you know how that goes.
Best wishes
Andrea
success4life
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Copying out your notes 3 or 4 times sounds a lot like busywork to me - you don't want to get into the habit of thinking you've done meaningful revision when actually it's just passive copying.

You haven't mentioned anything about independent study in your post (in terms of wider reading and criticism), which is even more important to your development than the contents of lecture slides.
Thank you. I take the rest to he fundamental and do that along my study groups anyway.
University of Bradford
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey

I'd definitely experiment with different ways of learning and revising, and see which works best for you! I thought you might find this student blog post useful which has lots of helpful tips and methods for note-taking and revision:
5 note-taking methods all students should know

I wish you the best of luck with your university experience!

Becky
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s a learning method I used and it works for me - but obviously you need to supplement it with other forms of revision too, it can’t be the only way you’re revising.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (36)
87.8%
No (5)
12.2%

Watched Threads