will queens
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a good everything else 2770 ucat, 98888777777 GCSEs, 3A* predictions, decent PS and plenty of work experience. But I got band 3 in my SJT, it looks like they really prefer 1 or 2. They say that band 3 are welcome to apply but 1 and 2 will be prioritised. In real terms what does this mean, is there any information on how many Band 3s actually get in?
sumzibadman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by will queens)
I have a good everything else 2770 ucat, 98888777777 GCSEs, 3A* predictions, decent PS and plenty of work experience. But I got band 3 in my SJT, it looks like they really prefer 1 or 2. They say that band 3 are welcome to apply but 1 and 2 will be prioritised. In real terms what does this mean, is there any information on how many Band 3s actually get in?
First of all, well done on smashing your ucat. Im sure the Universities you apply too will overlook your sjt because you tick all the other boxes and some universities such as QMUL don't even look into sjt until the interviews so just Mae sure you research into all your uni's if you're too worried, but honestly, I think with those grades, that score and a good personal statement, you should be fine.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sumzibadman)
First of all, well done on smashing your ucat. Im sure the Universities you apply too will overlook your sjt because you tick all the other boxes and some universities such as QMUL don't even look into sjt until the interviews so just Mae sure you research into all your uni's if you're too worried, but honestly, I think with those grades, that score and a good personal statement, you should be fine.
Well that is rubbish. If a med school uses SJT for selection, they will not overlook it, whatever your other stats
will queens it is likely to mean you go into their holostic route, which is a bit of a lottery, as they do not say how they score it, but mention things like high academics, extra A levels, etc. Even then, they still say they give preference to B1 & 2. YOu have many safer options
sumzibadman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Well that is rubbish. If a med school uses SJT for selection, they will not overlook it, whatever your other stats
will queens it is likely to mean you go into their holostic route, which is a bit of a lottery, as they do not say how they score it, but mention things like high academics, extra A levels, etc. Even then, they still say they give preference to B1 & 2. YOu have many safer options
Well actually it is not 'rubbish'. If you did your research you would see that in terms of ucat and sjt, some universities for med are holistic and look at each section of an application. I know a few people who got band 3 but were still able to get into imperial and kings for med so they may overlook it, hence why I said to do your research
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sumzibadman)
Well actually it is not 'rubbish'. If you did your research you would see that in terms of ucat and sjt, some universities for med are holistic and look at each section of an application. I know a few people who got band 3 but were still able to get into imperial and kings for med so they may overlook it, hence why I said to do your research
They will not overlook it, it may just not have significant weighting to affect whether an applicant receives an interview or not.
No med school is holistic for standard medicine admissions.
Kings use SJT for about 5% of their scoring and Imperial do not look at it at all, as they use BMAT, you could have not sat the UCAT at all, and they would not care!!!!
I think you'll find I have done a fair bit of research around med school admissions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.21%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.2%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.69%
I'm finding things difficult (128)
34.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.58%

Watched Threads