Tory MP wants people that use terms like "white privilege" to be referred to PREVENT

Watch
Poll: Do you agree with him?
Yes (8)
57.14%
No (6)
42.86%
Undecided (0)
0%
HansLuben
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
There is such a thing as selling out/ grifting but there's also such a thing as pragmatism.

In order to achieve things in a large political party you have to compromise if you want to have any hope of power unless you have a directly elected position like Trump or are able to Squeeze into a leadership election like corbyn- but even then you have to be somewhat pragmatic.
It sounds a lot like spinelessness disguised as pragmatism.
TCA2b
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm yet to be convinced much by Patel. Badenoch does seem to be more genuine in her anti woke bent, which is refreshing.
hotpud
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
I hope in social studies that the students are educated about Kriss Donald murder. Not the detail ofcourse but lack of media attention compared to other child murder by strangers or racist murders.
No. It isn't taught. But neither are any other specific murders e.g. Stephen Lawrence and the catalogue of failings from the Metropolitan police. We teach the concepts and ideas of equality and inclusion on a much broader sense - the idea that you can be who you like and that judging others who are perceived to be different is not acceptable.

To use that murder as an example would simply feed young impressionable minds with a false sense of injustice. It doesn't help anything.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by DSilva)
The problem is that eveything, almost by nature, is political.

What people often mean is that they want schools to enforce their own poltics.
Thats true but at the same time you dont eo ipso have to put a political spin on teaching..
Be it changing all the names in maths to those of minorities, for some reason, or, more to the point, turning history and related subjects into political football matches. Take teaching the history of the empire, teachers lecturing students on the evil of it (as opposed to treating it with the nuance it deserves) is rather beyond the pale. The less said about those teaching CRT and related non-subjects the better. I recently read a rather appalling 'academic paper' noting that all whites, by dint of simply being white, are racist whether they like it or not and no matter what they do. Would you really want your children being taught such nonsense? Ironically, by racists.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Thats true but at the same time you dont eo ipso have to put a political spin on teaching..
Be it changing all the names in maths to those of minorities, for some reason, or, more to the point, turning history and related subjects into political football matches. Take teaching the history of the empire, teachers lecturing students on the evil of it (as opposed to treating it with the nuance it deserves) is rather beyond the pale. The less said about those teaching CRT and related non-subjects the better. I recently read a rather appalling 'academic paper' noting that all whites, by dint of simply being white, are racist whether they like it or not and no matter what they do. Would you really want your children being taught such nonsense? Ironically, by racists.
I agree with everything you've said.

But to play devils advocate for a minute, do you accept it's easier for white people to be "nuanced" about things such as the Empire or the founding fathers owning slaves than it is for black Africans or other groups?

I do find it amusing when conservatives act shocked and appalled that immigrants don't like their heroes like Churchill etc and often despise them.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by HansLuben)
Patel talks tough whilst doing nothing.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...w-human-rights
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (42)
12.69%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (90)
27.19%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
18.13%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
8.16%

Watched Threads