Matcccc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys, I’m currently in college in the uk and I think about university from time to time. Could anyone explain how you is work and what you actually do there and for how long? And how do US universities differ from UK?
UnknownsOpinion
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Matcccc)
Hi guys, I’m currently in college in the uk and I think about university from time to time. Could anyone explain how you is work and what you actually do there and for how long? And how do US universities differ from UK?
How the course is run and assessed is completely based on your uni and most information can be found out via their websites.
For my uni and course, we have a blended learning approach, where we do lectures online but seminars and workshops in person (this may change though due to COVID). We also study 6 modules a year, 2 semesters, and an exam semester.
Lectures are where you are taught the subject, seminars are where you talk about the lectures and ask questions regarding the lectures, and workshops are where you do work in smaller groups.

How the work is done is that the lecturers will post the online lectures and the slides along with links to journals, textbooks, or articles that are recommended reading (optional).

There are quite a few differences between the two:
- Application:
Uk - apply via UCAS where you submit your grades and personal statement and can choose your first choice
US - they apply directly to each college separately
- The length of study:
US:
- Bachelors: 4 years
- Masters: 1 year
- PhD: 5-7 years +
UK:
- Bachelors: 3 years
- PhD: 3-4 years +

When studying in the UK you choose the subject you want to study when applying but in the US the first year basically allows you to explore different subjects so by the end of the year you get to choose your major which will be the title of your degree.

For assessment wise the US your final grade is based on a variety of assignments with a final exam making up only a percentage of your total grade. But for UK unis it can vary so you will need to do your own research.

For tuition in the UK it is £9000 ($14'000) per year but in the US it is around $29'000 - $50'000 for 4 years. This does not include living expenses or rent, this will vary from person to person.
Matcccc
Rep:
?
(Original post by UnknownsOpinion)
How the course is run and assessed is completely based on your uni and most information can be found out via their websites.
For my uni and course, we have a blended learning approach, where we do lectures online but seminars and workshops in person (this may change though due to COVID). We also study 6 modules a year, 2 semesters, and an exam semester.
Lectures are where you are taught the subject, seminars are where you talk about the lectures and ask questions regarding the lectures, and workshops are where you do work in smaller groups.

How the work is done is that the lecturers will post the online lectures and the slides along with links to journals, textbooks, or articles that are recommended reading (optional).

There are quite a few differences between the two:
- Application:
Uk - apply via UCAS where you submit your grades and personal statement and can choose your first choice
US - they apply directly to each college separately
- The length of study:
US:
- Bachelors: 4 years
- PhD: 5-7 years +
UK:
- Bachelors: 3 years
- PhD: 3-4 years +

When studying in the UK you choose the subject you want to study when applying but in the US the first year basically allows you to explore different subjects so by the end of the year you get to choose your major which will be the title of your degree.

For assessment wise the US your final grade is based on a variety of assignments with a final exam making up only a percentage of your total grade. But for UK unis it can vary so you will need to do your own research.

For tuition in the UK it is £9000 ($14'000) per year but in the US it is around $29'000 - $50'000 for 4 years. This does not include living expenses or rent, this will vary from person to person.
Thank you, do you know how many courses you are allowed to do in university
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Matcccc)
Thank you, do you know how many courses you are allowed to do in university
Hi!
From what I have read, this is dependent on which university you go to so it may be worth contacting any uni's you are interested in and asking what they allow. Most allow either 1, 2 or 3 courses. Many people choose to go for either 1 course or 2 (a joint honours). This is because uni work is very full on and takes up a lot of your time so studying more than one course would be hard (but possible).
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep
Matcccc
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!
From what I have read, this is dependent on which university you go to so it may be worth contacting any uni's you are interested in and asking what they allow. Most allow either 1, 2 or 3 courses. Many people choose to go for either 1 course or 2 (a joint honours). This is because uni work is very full on and takes up a lot of your time so studying more than one course would be hard (but possible).
Hope this helps!
Michaela - UoP Rep
Thank you
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads