Can you add a 5th choice after october 15th?(For medicine application)

Watch
starlit03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I haven't decided on it yet so I wanted to make sure.
sumzibadman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by starlit03)
Not really sure, but I think you can't so I suggest you just do a university which is quite easy to get into for med and use it as a backup if worse comes to worst
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes you can

Note however you don't have to put down a 5th choice at all and if medicine is your goal it's usually best to not choose a 5th choice and to just reapply in a gap year if you don't get any offers.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
starlit03
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes you can

Note however you don't have to put down a 5th choice at all and if medicine is your goal it's usually best to not choose a 5th choice and to just reapply in a gap year if you don't get any offers.
thank you, I think this year I will as I am already on a gap year lol, but I just need time to think as if I don't make it I will just take my 5th choice this year.
Also, do you know if it has to be medicine-related as I was thinking either psychology or computer science?
Is there anything on UCAS that mentions that we can put it later (just to make sure ), if so please could you send through a link as I couldn't find anything
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thank you, I think this year I will as I am already on a gap year lol, but I just need time to think as if I don't make it I will just take my 5th choice this year.
Also, do you know if it has to be medicine-related as I was thinking either psychology or computer science?
Is there anything on UCAS that mentions that we can put it later (just to make sure ), if so please could you send through a link as I couldn't find anything
It doesn't have to be medicine related but they will receive the same application (with the same PS, which you can't change after submitting with your medicine choices) as the medical schools do, so bear that in mind. Not all unis/courses will consider a medicine personal statement without prejudice; very competitive courses and/or unis don't need to consider extra applicants so may simply bin off an application that is clearly for another subject. However some will accept a medicine PS if the subject is related, and others may permit you to submit an alternate personal statement to them directly. You would need to check with the unis beforehand if they would require (or accept) the latter route; don't assume they will!

UCAS state that you can add more choices in unused "slots" up until 30th of June here (under "adding more choices"): https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...te-application

Note as it states in there you can in practice add choices until that very late date, but the deadline for equal consideration will be the January one so that is what you would normally want to aim for. They do permit late applications but unis don't have to consider them equally with those received before the deadline.
starlit03
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It doesn't have to be medicine related but they will receive the same application (with the same PS, which you can't change after submitting with your medicine choices) as the medical schools do, so bear that in mind. Not all unis/courses will consider a medicine personal statement without prejudice; very competitive courses and/or unis don't need to consider extra applicants so may simply bin off an application that is clearly for another subject. However some will accept a medicine PS if the subject is related, and others may permit you to submit an alternate personal statement to them directly. You would need to check with the unis beforehand if they would require (or accept) the latter route; don't assume they will!

UCAS state that you can add more choices in unused "slots" up until 30th of June here (under "adding more choices"): https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...te-application

Note as it states in there you can in practice add choices until that very late date, but the deadline for equal consideration will be the January one so that is what you would normally want to aim for. They do permit late applications but unis don't have to consider them equally with those received before the deadline.
Thank you very much !!!! I will definitely add it before January .
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No one should pick a 5th, non medicine choice. NEVER EVER do a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive

Finally, if you don't have a 5th choice you may be eligible for Clearing - some medicine courses go into clearing.

Bottom line: don't pick a 5th choice, if unsuccessful just take a gap year and reapply next year... unless you wanted to give up in medicine.

Take 2, 3 gap years if you have to.

(Original post by sumzibadman)
Not really sure, but I think you can't so I suggest you just do a university which is quite easy to get into for med and use it as a backup if worse comes to worst
Lol no med school is "easy to get into". KMMS has AAB requirements, for example, but they are one of the most competitive (in terms of numbers).

If a med school is much, much less competitive than others - the next year it wouldn't be. It's like a "predator-prey cycle" :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.86%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.54%
I'm a bit unsure (64)
17.39%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.7%

Watched Threads