The Student Room Group

Should I even bother applying to uni with such bad grades??!

I’m in S6 and my higher grades in S5 were horrible I got 108 ucas points in total but I really want to biochemistry but I got a no award in it but I got AA in media and English. Obviously I’m planning on retaking chem but I’m not sure if uni’s will consider me with AACD and no award?
Hey,

Your low grades don't necessarily mean you can't do a degree. Deep breath, celebrate your good grades, retake your chemistry and do your best, is all you can do. Re-visit your UCAS points situation after chemistry re-take and see if you can get into a uni through clearing. When are you applying? What do you want to study. I would definitely suggest you search apprenticeships in companies. Schools do a poor job of telling kids about those, there's a stigma that they are just jobs. They are obviously, but with some higher apprenticeships you can actually do a degree at the same time as you get paid - win! They also have lower grade requirements - win again!
Original post by Katie566
I’m in S6 and my higher grades in S5 were horrible I got 108 ucas points in total but I really want to biochemistry but I got a no award in it but I got AA in media and English. Obviously I’m planning on retaking chem but I’m not sure if uni’s will consider me with AACD and no award?

That is quite a competitive course to get into.. I feel like you would get conditional offers. I have a friend who is now studying biochemistry at uni although they had never studied chemistry until s6 and they received conditionals which was mainly dependent on their chemistry grade. Are you studying other subjects in your s6 year as well as chemistry? If so I think you'll be fine. Remember, your personal statement also counts so make sure to make that strong.

Best of Luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending