will queens
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've got like literally less than 8 hours to make this decision so I really hope it finds the right people.

I'm trying to choose my last medical school. For reference my UCAT is 2770 B3, predicted grades are 3A*

With the Exeter scoring system this should get me 98/100 points, which I would hope is a good chance for an interview but after last year who knows. With Plymouth, if I'm right they only really use UCAT and mine should be a pretty much guaranteed interview.

I've never visited either and I really have no idea which one to pick. In my head Exeter is better, purely because outside medicine it is a much better uni but that is not really a consideration here. From pictures though, Exeter seems like a smaller quieter place, a tad boring? I don't really know.

Then there is Plymouth, seems slightly bigger and livelier, but also seems a bit rougher from what people have told me?

Anybody have opinions either way?
SubhanF
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got rejected pre interview from Exeter last year as their UCAT cutoff was like 3030 ,3A*s predicted as well , so it’s worth checking that their cutoff isn’t similar this year
will queens
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SubhanF)
I got rejected pre interview from Exeter last year as their UCAT cutoff was like 3030 ,3A*s predicted as well , so it’s worth checking that their cutoff isn’t similar this year
Yeah I initially discounted Exeter when I heard about that but they've changed it this year. Got rid of the whole tiers thing, predicted grades and achieved grades are equal. They weight UCAT 25%, and Academics 75% to give a score out of 100.

It could very well go insane again knowing them, 100/100 could end up being the cut off, but I feel like 98 isn't unsafe?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by will queens)
I've got like literally less than 8 hours to make this decision so I really hope it finds the right people.

I'm trying to choose my last medical school. For reference my UCAT is 2770 B3, predicted grades are 3A*

With the Exeter scoring system this should get me 98/100 points, which I would hope is a good chance for an interview but after last year who knows. With Plymouth, if I'm right they only really use UCAT and mine should be a pretty much guaranteed interview.

I've never visited either and I really have no idea which one to pick. In my head Exeter is better, purely because outside medicine it is a much better uni but that is not really a consideration here. From pictures though, Exeter seems like a smaller quieter place, a tad boring? I don't really know.

Then there is Plymouth, seems slightly bigger and livelier, but also seems a bit rougher from what people have told me?

Exeter isn't a "better uni" in general, and also it's irrelevant outside of your subject area. Exeter medical school was originally part of Peninsula (Plymouth) medical school as I recall anyway, so I imagine it's going to be fairly similar at both as a result. Bear in mind that both courses are GMC accredited so will meet the same high standards of academic quality in order to receive that accreditation. So it really doesn't matter on that front which you go to.

Outside of admissions considerations, you might want to look and see where placements are and what support you have on those for e.g. commuting, housing etc. I believe for Exeter they send you all across Devon so that might be something to consider. Also consider what it would be like to live in each city for 4 years for the preclinical phase; Plymouth is bigger than Exeter I think, and Exe is fairly "quiet" when it comes to nightlife and entertainment/cultural stuff otherwise.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by will queens)

Plymouth is a far better chance of an interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.21%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.2%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.69%
I'm finding things difficult (128)
34.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.58%

Watched Threads