The Student Room Group

How do you revise ?

question title really. Not asking for someone to tell me how to revise but more so what YOU do when revising. I wanna hear other people’s techniques and see if they work for me
I like how you’re experimenting with all the methods, this shows that you are a smart student because the mistake most students make is that they just stick to one method that someone has told them when it doesn’t really benefit them. We all learn in different ways.

I think that my revision was mainly revolved around Active recall, and visual learning. I never made notes really. I only did when I was in lesson so I didn’t sleep.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by OchreCosmicStar
question title really. Not asking for someone to tell me how to revise but more so what YOU do when revising. I wanna hear other people’s techniques and see if they work for me

Hello there :smile:

What works best for me is to do my reading first, then I create mental maps or I write a short summary. Once I feel kind of confident I meet up with my friends and we explain the topic to each other. I find that is the best way to make sure you are understanding everything.

What about you? What do you do to revise?
Andrea
Hello!

Personally, I think revision is like a three stage process - synthesising, summarising and practicing.So for the former, I do this by finding loads of useful resources I think will help me build detailed notes and then put them on a word document (I don't bother with writing out notes and then doing it because who has the time for that?), ensuring it's all in my own words so that I understand it all. I may then look at these when I have the time, but want to get some detail, say the night before the test.

After that, I make like-cue cards where I have two thirds of a side with knowledge that could be like the basics, context, what I may not get without being told and whatnot, and then a question, which is often linked, but may or may not be connected, and then (of course) the answers at the back and either an extension, shortcut (say for maths) or adding more links. Preferably using the specifications to ensure i have what i need, no waffle. I may review these on the morning of the test or at random points when i have the time. I think this part helps as a 'cue' to all the detailed knowledge if you have reviewed everything correctly and then makes it easier as you go along.

Finally is getting solid practice on the stuff. I copy and paste like loads of questions, sonetimes even making some I think could come up at some point, e.g. defining a key term, and then can print and use these whenever I feel like it, maybe also the night before.

Of course, there are different ways, but I personally think these are three skills you need to revise the very best. Good luck anyone with revising :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending