melbridson
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I’ve been given a task for my homework to write an essay and I’m really struggling with how to answer it.
The essay title is “The concept of conscience is meaningless.” Assess this view.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I could say?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
So I'd be thinking of this in two ways. People that place an emphasis on conscience would say that the concept is not meaningless: people like Augustine (conscience is the voice of God), John henry Newman (conscience is a message from God) - these guys think conscience is intuitive. Aquinas loved conscience but insisted that it is a rational process, and so is different from the other two.

What are the strengths of these positions? Are there any weaknesses?

Contrast this with people that don't care about conscience. I am not sure what spec and board you are doing, so I don't know for sure what you've covered. I'd probably be inclined to use consequentialists and possibly some interpretations of deontology, but you might have covered different approaches - I know that Freud is covered in some, and he thought that conscience is an unconscious thing, arising from prior negative experiences.

it's then a matter of making an argument about which stance you prefer. Which arguments are more convincing? Why/ What are the shortcomings of their alternatives?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.63%
Okay (119)
29.38%
A bit lacking (154)
38.02%
Not good at all (93)
22.96%

Watched Threads