Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Daughter planning to apply to Biology - went to open day and two lecturers said different things about lectures - one said pre-recorded and occasional live online lectures ...the one giving the subject talk said all lectures in lecture theatres face to face. Which is it?
brunabruna
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Daughter planning to apply to Biology - went to open day and two lecturers said different things about lectures - one said pre-recorded and occasional live online lectures ...the one giving the subject talk said all lectures in lecture theatres face to face. Which is it?
Were the lecturers teaching the same module? It is highly likely, given the slow transition from remote to in-person teaching this academic year, that different module leaders will organise their module teachings differently. So it will likely be a mixture of both remote and in-person depending on the module/task. If your daughter has any specific requirements I would suggest discussing this with the lecturers/course leaders so that they are aware, they're usually happy to accommodate if made aware in advance.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by brunabruna)
Were the lecturers teaching the same module? It is highly likely, given the slow transition from remote to in-person teaching this academic year, that different module leaders will organise their module teachings differently. So it will likely be a mixture of both remote and in-person depending on the module/task. If your daughter has any specific requirements I would suggest discussing this with the lecturers/course leaders so that they are aware, they're usually happy to accommodate if made aware in advance.
It was a course lead saying in person for all lectures during the subject talk but afterwards a lecturer saying all his pre-recorded? Hence the query? Some unis are going back to full in person lectures and timetable from this month where as others have large amounts online with covid being used as a reason for continued online. I’m looking at 2022 and it’s clear from many conversations with lecturers and course leads at several unis that in person lectures will resume at some unis and is being abandoned permanently at others. While recording live lectures has been something battled for in the past (especially for those with dyslexia and to allow catch up if ill during term time - appendicitis etc) . Those students want recordings to supplement in person lectures not instead. A lecture should be interactive - lectures should react to the audience adjusting delivery or trying new examples if concepts aren’t going in. Some unis use electronic gadgets or apps to gauge understanding as the lecture progresses. As a social interactive event - the time waiting to go into the lecture and afterwards are opportunities to meet peers and form bonds. 17yr old is keen to have an in person experience . Pre-recorded lectures are the pits as often out of date and no one to ask a question of during it at the end. I wish the unis would have to make written statement about their short and long term plan. Verbally some are saying they will never return to in person lectures.
normaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It was a course lead saying in person for all lectures during the subject talk but afterwards a lecturer saying all his pre-recorded? Hence the query? Some unis are going back to full in person lectures and timetable from this month where as others have large amounts online with covid being used as a reason for continued online. I’m looking at 2022 and it’s clear from many conversations with lecturers and course leads at several unis that in person lectures will resume at some unis and is being abandoned permanently at others. While recording live lectures has been something battled for in the past (especially for those with dyslexia and to allow catch up if ill during term time - appendicitis etc) . Those students want recordings to supplement in person lectures not instead. A lecture should be interactive - lectures should react to the audience adjusting delivery or trying new examples if concepts aren’t going in. Some unis use electronic gadgets or apps to gauge understanding as the lecture progresses. As a social interactive event - the time waiting to go into the lecture and afterwards are opportunities to meet peers and form bonds. 17yr old is keen to have an in person experience . Pre-recorded lectures are the pits as often out of date and no one to ask a question of during it at the end. I wish the unis would have to make written statement about their short and long term plan. Verbally some are saying they will never return to in person lectures.
I would e-mail the department and ask them to clarify. My son has started at Lancaster this year (architecture) and all his lectures are in person. I agree with you - the university experience will be much poorer if the level of interaction between peers and teaching staff is reduced with online teaching.
brunabruna
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Sorry I've taken ages to reply, as normaw suggested, it would be worth emailing them to ask them to clarify (mentioning exactly what you've said here that the information has been confusing and contradicting). I get a feeling they will not be able to tell you how it will be 100%, as universities are following the 'covid aware' guidelines so while they're phasing out remote work they're still keeping an element of things being remote (or can change at any point). However, you'll be able to gauge from the replies which universities and course leaders are welcoming and happier to listen/accommodate.

I started my BA in architecture in 2016, and I'm in my final year of my masters. I speak from my experience of fully in-person, half-and-half, fully remote, and now this limbo of either or. In-person is great for social reasons as well as being able to ask questions quickly, everything remote was awkward and bizarre. I think a mixture where people meet at the start to break the ice and get-to-know then are able to attend short seminars from home is best.

I agree that pre-recorded lectures only are just crap - makes you feel a bit robbed of tuition fee honestly, so try to avoid that. If the university can be at least half in-person or only a small element of remote that is good too (and as I mentioned before modules might be delivered differently), so don't be disheartened. I found that the remote format encouraged lecturers from other uni's or from abroad to deliver their research remotely, which meant we had access to more people because they didn't have to join 'in-person', so sometimes it had its positives. I hope this is insightful and best of luck to your daughter!
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My daughter went to open day in September for Zoology. You get online lecture capture so should you miss a lecture it is recorded so you can watch back in your room. It also is good for people who have social anxieties. She should get live lectures. My eldest studies physics and is in second year. It was online last year due to restrictions,but all of it is in person now.
Last edited by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
My daughter went to open day in September for Zoology. You get online lecture capture so should you miss a lecture it is recorded so you can watch back in your room. It also is good for people who have social anxieties. She should get live lectures. My eldest studies physics and is in second year. It was online last year due to restrictions,but all of it is in person now.
I agree the talk on the open day for biology said in person lectures and lecture capture for catch up but one of the lecturers in the lab tour said his would be permanently pre-recorded going forward as no need for in person as students preferred online? Obviously those comments were at odds with the main talk and were a little concerning. Will get teen to email them today to confirm it will be in person. Thanks for coming back x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by brunabruna)
Hi,

Sorry I've taken ages to reply, as normaw suggested, it would be worth emailing them to ask them to clarify (mentioning exactly what you've said here that the information has been confusing and contradicting). I get a feeling they will not be able to tell you how it will be 100%, as universities are following the 'covid aware' guidelines so while they're phasing out remote work they're still keeping an element of things being remote (or can change at any point). However, you'll be able to gauge from the replies which universities and course leaders are welcoming and happier to listen/accommodate.

I started my BA in architecture in 2016, and I'm in my final year of my masters. I speak from my experience of fully in-person, half-and-half, fully remote, and now this limbo of either or. In-person is great for social reasons as well as being able to ask questions quickly, everything remote was awkward and bizarre. I think a mixture where people meet at the start to break the ice and get-to-know then are able to attend short seminars from home is best.

I agree that pre-recorded lectures only are just crap - makes you feel a bit robbed of tuition fee honestly, so try to avoid that. If the university can be at least half in-person or only a small element of remote that is good too (and as I mentioned before modules might be delivered differently), so don't be disheartened. I found that the remote format encouraged lecturers from other uni's or from abroad to deliver their research remotely, which meant we had access to more people because they didn't have to join 'in-person', so sometimes it had its positives. I hope this is insightful and best of luck to your daughter!
Totally agree with your comments - live lectures online for a couple of sessions ok but pre-recorded is a cop out.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I agree the talk on the open day for biology said in person lectures and lecture capture for catch up but one of the lecturers in the lab tour said his would be permanently pre-recorded going forward as no need for in person as students preferred online? Obviously those comments were at odds with the main talk and were a little concerning. Will get teen to email them today to confirm it will be in person. Thanks for coming back x
Welcome daughters started her second year this week, and its all in person now there. Some students prefer online, but majority prefer in person for the experience. Ill see if anyone has took biology on the 2021 thread and ask them if they are in person for them
Lancaster University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi all,

I am a student under the Lancaster Environment Center (which includes biology, at least in my year). There was mixed feedback from the studying from last year, but from what I have heard it sounds like students had a preference towards in-person lectures. The information we have received from the academics is a mix of in-person and online contact hours for this year, with a favoring towards the in-person (they provided the statistic of around 75% of contact hours being in-person). However, this is very much module specific, I have both modules with all in-person lectures and ones with all online lectures. Either way, all live lectures are recorded, but as said before, you do miss out on the interactive aspects of them - an area most lectures really like to include.

Practicals tend to be in-person, unless they suit online study better (such as data analysis practicals). All Lab practicals require face coverings and Lecturers prefer face covering in lectures too (some make it compulsory) to try and stop the spread. Lab practicals aren't recorded in the same way as lectures are, but if you cannot attend for legitimate reasons the conveners do provide online replacements (not designed for being online like last year).

Personally, I prefer everything in-person, but I understand the positions lecturers are taking and they have make good compromises to get the best of both worlds.

This is the situation I am experiencing this year, It may change further for next year, it may even all be back to "normal".
Hope this helps.

Jake (third year Ecology and Conservation student)
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks Jake Hope the OP gets to see this
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Lancaster University)
Hi all,

I am a student under the Lancaster Environment Center (which includes biology, at least in my year). There was mixed feedback from the studying from last year, but from what I have heard it sounds like students had a preference towards in-person lectures. The information we have received from the academics is a mix of in-person and online contact hours for this year, with a favoring towards the in-person (they provided the statistic of around 75% of contact hours being in-person). However, this is very much module specific, I have both modules with all in-person lectures and ones with all online lectures. Either way, all live lectures are recorded, but as said before, you do miss out on the interactive aspects of them - an area most lectures really like to include.

Practicals tend to be in-person, unless they suit online study better (such as data analysis practicals). All Lab practicals require face coverings and Lecturers prefer face covering in lectures too (some make it compulsory) to try and stop the spread. Lab practicals aren't recorded in the same way as lectures are, but if you cannot attend for legitimate reasons the conveners do provide online replacements (not designed for being online like last year).

Personally, I prefer everything in-person, but I understand the positions lecturers are taking and they have make good compromises to get the best of both worlds.

This is the situation I am experiencing this year, It may change further for next year, it may even all be back to "normal".
Hope this helps.

Jake (third year Ecology and Conservation student)
Hi Jake, Thanks for this! Busy day and only just got on here and this is such a clear answer. So the mixed picture is the reality not 100% in person. I have no issues with lecturers wanting masks on everyone as you can still get COVID even if double vaccinated but I think it's important to be clear to potential new students that online is a possibility for some modules.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi Jake, Thanks for this! Busy day and only just got on here and this is such a clear answer. So the mixed picture is the reality not 100% in person. I have no issues with lecturers wanting masks on everyone as you can still get COVID even if double vaccinated but I think it's important to be clear to potential new students that online is a possibility for some modules.
BTW good luck for your final year! Hope you get to do field trips ad your final year project without disruption xx
Lancaster University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi again,

Thank you!

And yes, the reality is that no one cannot guarantee the situation for next year. After a bit more digging and speaking to some of the other ambassadors, it really does seem like almost everything is in-person, especially for the biological/biomedical sciences - which is probably more similar to biology than my degree.
I also found that my online module is not just COVID related, the module convener is currently on maternity leave which is the main reason for their choice. However, every module convener has the option to run their modules how they want (but biology related module conveners seem to want as much in person as possible) .

Hopefully the governments position on the matter wont change and you can be in-person for all your modules.
All the best.

Jake.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads