Dropped out of a non-medicine course, want to apply for medicine, can I?

Watch
jxmesioannou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My academic journey is a bit complex. Originally, I really wanted to do medicine, however I lacked the confidence in myself and ended up applying for a course that was nothing to do with science, I did in fact end up getting AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Economics.

Anyway, so I'm currently 18, and I started uni last month at a Russel Group uni and hated it, it wasn't the course, but I withdrew after three weeks because it was affecting my physical health, so now I'm basically on a gap year and I'm probably gonna apply for uni next year, for the same course I was on at a closer uni.

So, to the point, I'm weighing up my options and I was kinda considering giving medicine a proper shot and resitting economics in my year off, I'm pretty confident I could get an A* in it if I did, I just did not put enough effort in over sixth form as I was putting a lot more into Chem and Bio, and I know I'd probably have to take a second year off because the deadline for 2022 entry is approaching and I'm no way near ready, I was thinking I could probably get a lot of work experience in this time which probably wouldn't harm my application.

My question is, would I still be considered because I dropped out of another course? Would the fact I never originally applied for medicine limit me?

Am i being stupid by even considering applying?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
izaakha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jxmesioannou)
My academic journey is a bit complex. Originally, I really wanted to do medicine, however I lacked the confidence in myself and ended up applying for a course that was nothing to do with science, I did in fact end up getting AAB in Biology, Chemistry and Economics.

Anyway, so I'm currently 18, and I started uni last month at a Russel Group uni and hated it, it wasn't the course, but I withdrew after three weeks because it was affecting my physical health, so now I'm basically on a gap year and I'm probably gonna apply for uni next year, for the same course I was on at a closer uni.

So, to the point, I'm weighing up my options and I was kinda considering giving medicine a proper shot and resitting economics in my year off, I'm pretty confident I could get an A* in it if I did, I just did not put enough effort in over sixth form as I was putting a lot more into Chem and Bio, and I know I'd probably have to take a second year off because the deadline for 2022 entry is approaching and I'm no way near ready, I was thinking I could probably get a lot of work experience in this time which probably wouldn't harm my application.

My question is, would I still be considered because I dropped out of another course? Would the fact I never originally applied for medicine limit me?

You're defiantly not being stupid - you are striving to reach your dream course. As far as I know universities cannot see if you have dropped out, or even applied to another course previously - obviously they would if you went to that university. I don't see why the fact you didn't originally apply for medicine would affect it, if anything it shows that you really want to study medicine by retaking you economics. Just apply for it, and start preparing for the UCAT to get a high score on that.

Thanks

Izaak
Biomedical Science Student @ University of Manchester
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by izaakha)
You're defiantly not being stupid - you are striving to reach your dream course. As far as I know universities cannot see if you have dropped out, or even applied to another course previously - obviously they would if you went to that university. I don't see why the fact you didn't originally apply for medicine would affect it, if anything it shows that you really want to study medicine by retaking you economics. Just apply for it, and start preparing for the UCAT to get a high score on that.

Thanks

Izaak
Biomedical Science Student @ University of Manchester
They are required to declare their prior study on UCAS or else UCAS can declare their application fraudulent and any unis that made them offers can nullify them.

Some but not all medical schools will not consider applications from students who have previously studied elsewhere but not yet received a degree. So you will need to check with the medical schools you want to apply to beforehand to see if they will consider you. Most don't mind as long as it wasn't a medicine course though, although they usually indicate they would prefer you to complete your current course rather than apply while at another uni - as you've already withdrawn this may not be an issue.
jxmesioannou
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
They are required to declare their prior study on UCAS or else UCAS can declare their application fraudulent and any unis that made them offers can nullify them.

Some but not all medical schools will not consider applications from students who have previously studied elsewhere but not yet received a degree. So you will need to check with the medical schools you want to apply to beforehand to see if they will consider you. Most don't mind as long as it wasn't a medicine course though, although they usually indicate they would prefer you to complete your current course rather than apply while at another uni - as you've already withdrawn this may not be an issue.
Thanks for your response, yeah, what I'm gonna do is check with the schools I'm applying to to find out more about this, I wanna find out as much as I can about this before diving into this as it would involve me taking two gap years instead of one, and I'd wanna know if it significantly reduced my chance of acceptance before deciding to persue medicine or other ventures.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for your response, yeah, what I'm gonna do is check with the schools I'm applying to to find out more about this, I wanna find out as much as I can about this before diving into this as it would involve me taking two gap years instead of one, and I'd wanna know if it significantly reduced my chance of acceptance before deciding to persue medicine or other ventures.
If you dropped out of a medicine course then the chances are most med school wouldn't touch you with a barge pole - but if it's a non-medicine course you may still have a chance.

I would email around med schools and ask if they would consider - you can be anonymous if you like, there's no need to state your full name while doing some preliminary queries.

But as stated, you cannot hide the fact that you dropped out because it would be dishonest.
jxmesioannou
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
If you dropped out of a medicine course then the chances are most med school wouldn't touch you with a barge pole - but if it's a non-medicine course you may still have a chance.

I would email around med schools and ask if they would consider - you can be anonymous if you like, there's no need to state your full name while doing some preliminary queries.

But as stated, you cannot hide the fact that you dropped out because it would be dishonest.
Thanks for replying, that’s exactly what i’m gonna do, i’m at a point where i’m still debating wether or not to give this a shot so I wanna know if this would significantly impact my application before giving it my all.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for replying, that’s exactly what i’m gonna do, i’m at a point where i’m still debating wether or not to give this a shot so I wanna know if this would significantly impact my application before giving it my all.
Absolutely, it wouldn't hurt to do some preliminary queries before deciding on your future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.3%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.17%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.3%

Watched Threads