heart2you
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what is the significance of the -arse in verbs?
e.g. sentar vs sentarse, quedar vs quedarse? I'm really confused and google is not helping.
username5549608
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
hehe it's not the -arse, it's the -se
This means it's a pronominal verb. Depending on the verb, the meaning can be completely changed or just altered slightly. For example: quedarse means to stay, e.g. me quedé en casa durante toda la cuarantena. But quedar is a lovely verb with quite a few different meanings: for example, "solo quedan dos huevos en la nevera" means there are only 2 eggs left in the fridge. There are a few more meanings though, this website does it well:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/que...-quedarse.html

There is another, common type of pronominal verb that you're likely to have seen at KS3 or GCSE. These are reflexive verbs and they also have the -se ending. In this case, the -se means that the subject does the action to themself:
despertarSE (to wake up- but if you were waking up someone else, you would use despertar since you're not doing it to yourSELF)
levantarSE (to get up)
ponerSE
cepillarSE
ducharSE
etc etc.

hope this helped, let me know if you have more qs x
heart2you
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by username5549608)
hehe it's not the -arse, it's the -se
This means it's a pronominal verb. Depending on the verb, the meaning can be completely changed or just altered slightly. For example: quedarse means to stay, e.g. me quedé en casa durante toda la cuarantena. But quedar is a lovely verb with quite a few different meanings: for example, "solo quedan dos huevos en la nevera" means there are only 2 eggs left in the fridge. There are a few more meanings though, this website does it well:
https://study.com/academy/lesson/que...-quedarse.html

There is another, common type of pronominal verb that you're likely to have seen at KS3 or GCSE. These are reflexive verbs and they also have the -se ending. In this case, the -se means that the subject does the action to themself:
despertarSE (to wake up- but if you were waking up someone else, you would use despertar since you're not doing it to yourSELF)
levantarSE (to get up)
ponerSE
cepillarSE
ducharSE
etc etc.

hope this helped, let me know if you have more qs x
wow this is so helpful!!!! Thank you so much! :adore:
so for the verb 'levantarse', if I wanted to say 'I need to get up', is 'necesito levantarse' correct? And then is 'she needs to get up' = 'necesita levantar' correct?
username5549608
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by heart2you)
wow this is so helpful!!!! Thank you so much! :adore:
so for the verb 'levantarse', if I wanted to say 'I need to get up', is 'necesito levantarse' correct? And then is 'she needs to get up' = 'necesita levantar' correct?
aww no worries, I'm glad it helped!

Here are some examples with levantarse, please let me know if this makes sense:

Me levanto = I get up. Te levantas = You get up. Se levanta = he/she/usted gets up. You need both the pronoun and the ending to match the subject.

The same goes for using infinitive constructions, so:

Necesito levantarme = I need to get up. Necesitas levantarte = You need to get up. Necesita levantarse = he/she/usted needs to get up.

The only time you would NOT need the pronoun on the end of the infinitive would be if you are using the normal, non-pronominal form of the verb (which has a different meaning) e.g.

Necesito levantar la mano = I need to raise my hand.
Necesita levantar la mano = He/she/usted needs to raise their hand.

It might help you to think of the non-reflexive version of the verb as a completely different verb.
Hope this helped! Xx (I haven't done Spanish since GCSE so my explanations might be a bit iffy)
Last edited by username5549608; 1 month ago
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username5549608)
The only time you would NOT need the pronoun on the end of the infinitive would be if you are using the normal, non-pronominal form of the verb (which has a different meaning) e.g.

Necesito levantar la mano = I need to raise my hand.
Necesita levantar la mano = He/she/usted needs to raise their hand.

It might help you to think of the non-reflexive version of the verb as a completely different verb.
Hope this helped! Xx (I haven't done Spanish since GCSE so my explanations might be a bit iffy)
In the case of a conjugated verb followed by an infinitive the pronoun can actually go before the conjugated verb. So “I need to get up” can be both “necesito levantarme” and “me necesito levantar”.
username5549608
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
In the case of a conjugated verb followed by an infinitive the pronoun can actually go before the conjugated verb. So “I need to get up” can be both “necesito levantarme” and “me necesito levantar”.
ahh so sorry I forgot that! thank you for the correction <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads