Third time's the charm - A First Year Natural Sciences GYG

Watch
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This is my third time trying to keep one of these up (hopefully I last longer than a week this time ), but now I have actually study to be keeping up with I'm feeling good about it. I've been out of education for over 18 months now, so I'm hoping to catch back up quickly (fingers crossed).

I'm doing first year natural sciences at Lucy Cavendish college, Cambridge - Specifically I'll be doing the Physiology of Organisms, Biology of Cells, Evolution & Behaviour and Mathematical Biology modules. Lectures started on Thursday and so far I think I'm keeping on top of it.

All lectures will be delivered online, so I'm going to be using this blog to try and keep myself to the timetabled times (more or less) and keep on top of supervisions, labs and other work. There's a good chance I'll end up keeping a record of things I have to do somewhere on this page so I know where it is :lol:

Anyway, keep reading for my first post:
Last edited by Theloniouss; 2 weeks ago
Bubbles_1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
good luck!!!
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
I started lectures a week ago and so far they're going pretty well - the stats work for the maths course is very introductory (though I may have to adjust my terminology) so that should be plain sailing for the first week or so, which is nice because it gives me some time to adjust to the workload - the practical we did so far has been very easy because I'm already pretty experienced with R so hopefully that stays easy too.

All other courses have been mostly introductory so far (though if one more lecturer says "forget everything you learned at A level" I think I'll cry, thank goodness I never got round to going over the content - some of the A level content (it turns out) was outright false) and I'm glad to say I'm really enjoying them - slightly nervous about physiology as it's almost all human/human-adjacent physiology in Michaelmas and I don't particularly care for it.

I'd forgotten how much fun evolution is so it's nice to get back into that - I've only watched two lectures and already I'm having a great time with all the content.

Speak to you all tomorrow (tragically there are no Sunday lectures so it should be uneventful).
-Thel
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubbles_1234)
good luck!!!
Thanks
Bubbles_1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
I started lectures a week ago and so far they're going pretty well - the stats work for the maths course is very introductory (though I may have to adjust my terminology) so that should be plain sailing for the first week or so, which is nice because it gives me some time to adjust to the workload - the practical we did so far has been very easy because I'm already pretty experienced with R so hopefully that stays easy too.

All other courses have been mostly introductory so far (though if one more lecturer says "forget everything you learned at A level" I think I'll cry, thank goodness I never got round to going over the content - some of the A level content (it turns out) was outright false) and I'm glad to say I'm really enjoying them - slightly nervous about physiology as it's almost all human/human-adjacent physiology in Michaelmas and I don't particularly care for it.

I'd forgotten how much fun evolution is so it's nice to get back into that - I've only watched two lectures and already I'm having a great time with all the content.

Speak to you all tomorrow (tragically there are no Sunday lectures so it should be uneventful).
-Thel
i'm sure you will be fine and you will do great
flaurie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ayy good luck! If you're making a tag list then feel free to tag me :grin:
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Entry 2

Had my first supervision today, as well as completing some work for another one (who knew counting could make for such difficult maths?). It was a bit awkward, especially as I didn't especially like the question we'd been asked to think about.

I'm ahead of the Maths work which is good, and I've read through the notes for my lectures tomorrow and they all seem perfectly easy.
Little pecker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Will use this thread to vicariously live the life of a smart person.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little pecker)
Will use this thread to vicariously live the life of a smart person.
:lol:
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
In other news, I also got a new tea (a fruity one) today which was very good as well as a Nespresso machine I wasn't expecting (very confusing for half an hour until I figured out what was going on).
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Entry 3

Got out in a boat today, which was great fun (and not as early as I'd been led to believe, either). Cambridge is such a beautiful place to get out on the water and I don't often get the chance to watch sunrise so that was also nice. The essays are now piling up (as is the wider reading I intend to do) so I'm going to have to motivate myself to do those, which I've never been good at :lol:

I've also managed to get some unpleasant illness, which makes me extra glad lectures are online because I don't think I'd make it if they were in person. In more positive news, I plan to (finally) cook myself some food tonight, which I've been putting off for far too long.

I had a good time looking at some Chara cells yesterday as well, who knew there were plant cells large enough to see with the naked eye? I feel like I should have probably been aware of that. See attached below a (not very good) picture of a stentor I spotted.
Stentor

Name:  IMG_20211013_121104.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  68.5 KB
Attached files
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Entry 4

I've been ill (mostly pretty mild) for over a week now and it's really not been fun. I've only just been keeping up with work but I'm staying on top of it so that's always a positive. Had a couple of essays given back to me, as well as my first practical write-up - all went better than expected though I certainly have a long way to go.

Have been burning through my tea rations and the idea of cooking for myself is looking more and more far-fetched as the days pass, but I've (probably) got the budget to eat at hall every day anyway. The workload is definitely beginning to seriously dawn on me, I seem to constantly find myself in the library until near-midnight preparing for lectures and labs.
Last edited by Theloniouss; 3 days ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Watching this thread.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 3 days ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 19 hours ago
Entry 5

Currently sitting in the library with no idea how to write an essay that's due midday tomorrow. Otherwise things are going pretty well, I managed to be the only person in a lab to complete all the work (holds up "applause" card), which was nice because I was never very good at practicals in high school and was seriously worried I'd be massively outclassed by everyone else. I've been getting more used to writing essays generally, which I had also been worried about - though I don't know that I'll ever enjoy writing anything over 1000 words :lol:.

I've been getting involved in clubs and remembering to spend at least some of my time not doing work, though it does feel like there's always work I could be doing. I have a pile of lecture notes I need to work through at some point.

A song that's been getting me through it:
Tutor_della
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 hours ago
Courage and good planning will help you alot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (302)
57.52%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.24%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (44)
8.38%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.95%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.81%

Watched Threads