Leave of absence without evidence??

Watch
powerpuffgorl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I just started university. I caught covid and was knocked out for two weeks. I also changed course at the end of week 2. I want to take a leave of absence because I don’t feel well enough for uni. Even before I caught covid I wasn’t feeling great, I haven’t been eating properly for the past year and it’s really started to affect me. I’m also visually impaired and my vision gets worse the more tired I am. There weren’t any available note takers so lord knows how I’ll access lectures. I already have a lot to catch up with. I can’t concentrate on anything and just the commute to uni is exhausting. Thing is I did a foundation year last year and was fine so I know I can do uni I just need to be healthier.
I don’t have an actual diagnosis for my ill health. I don’t want to go to the gp for my eating because I don’t want my parents to know.
Will uni still let me take a leave of absence even though I can’t really provide much evidence?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by powerpuffgorl)
Hi, I just started university. I caught covid and was knocked out for two weeks. I also changed course at the end of week 2. I want to take a leave of absence because I don’t feel well enough for uni. Even before I caught covid I wasn’t feeling great, I haven’t been eating properly for the past year and it’s really started to affect me. I’m also visually impaired and my vision gets worse the more tired I am. There weren’t any available note takers so lord knows how I’ll access lectures. I already have a lot to catch up with. I can’t concentrate on anything and just the commute to uni is exhausting. Thing is I did a foundation year last year and was fine so I know I can do uni I just need to be healthier.
I don’t have an actual diagnosis for my ill health. I don’t want to go to the gp for my eating because I don’t want my parents to know.
Will uni still let me take a leave of absence even though I can’t really provide much evidence?
You need to provide evidence then they can make reasonable adjustments. How about discussing how you don't want your parents to find out your health issues with University see what they advise.

Contact your University asap, inform them what is happening, there are many disabled students who attend University so don't worry about it. If you have Covid I don't believe for a second the University would want you to go to the campus.

You need to accept there's nothing wrong with being visually impaired, having an eating disorder or any other illness. Once you accept that you should be fine. You need to resolve these issues now in the present and worry less about what the family will think

Your parents won't find out, unless they are the type to open your letters? I know from my experience I didn't want my family to know about me getting mental health support so I made sure they didn't send any letters home but they still did it may be tricky with a GP Practice but it's worth asking as there's a thing as patient confidentiality..
powerpuffgorl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
You need to provide evidence then they can make reasonable adjustments. How about discussing how you don't want your parents to find out your health issues with University see what they advise.

Contact your University asap, inform them what is happening, there are many disabled students who attend University so don't worry about it. If you have Covid I don't believe for a second the University would want you to go to the campus.

You need to accept there's nothing wrong with being visually impaired, having an eating disorder or any other illness. Once you accept that you should be fine. You need to resolve these issues now in the present and worry less about what the family will think

Your parents won't find out, unless they are the type to open your letters? I know from my experience I didn't want my family to know about me getting mental health support so I made sure they didn't send any letters home but they still did it may be tricky with a GP Practice but it's worth asking as there's a thing as patient confidentiality..
Hi thanks for the reply. My parents and uni know I’m visually impaired, I can’t really hide that. I get DSA. Sadly my parents are the nosy/controlling type so if I went to the doctors they’d know about it.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to provide evidence. Register with a GP at uni, or go to the GP on the way too or from Uni without your parents. You are over 18 presumably, make it clear to your GP that you don't want your parents involved in your health issues any more.
username4899406
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The good thing is you already get DSA so are presumably registered with the uni disability service which is already a huge hurdle sorted
But the uni aren't mind readers, if you don't tell them how will they know something is wrong ? Let them know asap so they can try and provide some flexible deadlines etc whilst you get some fresh evidence should the need arise
Also you need to push the DSA adviser /uni re the availability not note takers because that excuse simply isn't good enough seeing as they knew in advance you would need one - this lack of planning by them is a major contributing factor to your current situation as well
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi thanks for the reply. My parents and uni know I’m visually impaired, I can’t really hide that. I get DSA. Sadly my parents are the nosy/controlling type so if I went to the doctors they’d know about it.
How would they know about it unless you told them?
powerpuffgorl
Rep:
?
Thanks to everyone for the replies, it means a lot. I have a meeting with a well-being officer tomorrow I’ll bring up everything then. I’ve also asked the department I’m moving to it I can defer my entry until next year.
I commute so I’m still registered with my family’s gp.
The service that provide note takers have been ignoring my emails, the same thing happened last year. By the time we get a note taker I’ll be quite behind and it already takes me longer than most students to complete work cos of my vision. My heads a mess id rather focus on getting better and start again next year.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks to everyone for the replies, it means a lot. I have a meeting with a well-being officer tomorrow I’ll bring up everything then. I’ve also asked the department I’m moving to it I can defer my entry until next year.
I commute so I’m still registered with my family’s gp.
The service that provide note takers have been ignoring my emails, the same thing happened last year. By the time we get a note taker I’ll be quite behind and it already takes me longer than most students to complete work cos of my vision. My heads a mess id rather focus on getting better and start again next year.
Just because you're still registered with your family GP, that shouldn't make you reluctant to go. They can't communicate anything about other patients to your parents, especially now you are over 18.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed