The Student Room Group

Receding gums at 15

I didn’t realise how much my gums had receded until I looked at my teeth in the mirror. I don’t have disease or anything, I think it’s because I brush my teeth too hard. Is there a way to fix this? I’m panicking, PLEASE HELP
Reply 1
Original post by Iwanttobesmart
I didn’t realise how much my gums had receded until I looked at my teeth in the mirror. I don’t have disease or anything, I think it’s because I brush my teeth too hard. Is there a way to fix this? I’m panicking, PLEASE HELP

The best advice anyone on here can give you is to see your dentist. It is their job to tell you if anything wrong and fix it if it is.
It may be nothing serious but it could be something more more serious like gum disease.
A build up of bacteria in plaque at the base of the exposed tooth can cause your gums to receed so make sure you brush your teeth thoroughly but with soft bristles.
Again, book an appointment with your dentist so they can clarify, they are free with the NHS.
Meanwhile here are some things to try: i doubt you do but if you smoke, stop smoking ideally today. If you are addicted, there are several charities which can wean you off it. Food had a huge impact on dental health. If you eat chocolates, confectionary, lots of white bread and fried foods, that can cause tooth and gum problems, so try and reduce your intake of those things if you can. If when you try and eat healthy foods like salads, vegetables, cooked fish (not fried), healthy fats, you have cravings for junk food, then you know you have a bad diet.
I hope you find the help you need and its nothing serious.
I hope
Reply 2
Original post by Iwanttobesmart

So stop brushing them so hard?

Quick Reply

Latest