my flatmates are unbearably loud

Watch
hurts2hatelo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
note that I know student halls are typically pretty loud and this is something that happens when you live with others, I just want to write this to vent.

I moved in to halls just a little under a month ago. for the first week it was just me and one of my flatmates (who is really quiet) until the other 4 moved in the week after.

at first the biggest problem was the dishes. two of them in particular were awful for doing the dishes and would leave them out for days, both dirty and clean dishes. it's gotten under control a little, but they can still pile up (and lately they pile their baking trays and pans up on the hob for hours or days).

they all went out clubbing and such during freshers, but they never really bothered me too much and were fairly quiet.

but this week it's been just awful. week 2 of classes just finished, and you would've thought things would have settled now that freshers is long over, but its gotten worse!

for the last 5 days in a row my flatmates have gone out and come back anywhere between 10pm-3am and they are SO LOUD. in our flat it's basically just a big long hallway and the kitchen / shared area is right at the end. I'm unfortunately right beside the door, so when they come into the flat I can always hear them in the hallway directly in front of my bedroom door. all the doors are fire doors so they are really heavy and don't close quietly at all, but my flatmates just let them go and slam shut which is extremely loud.

they bring people back who are also very loud, running up and down the hallway. my (quiet) flatmate has a friend in the flat below us who complained about how loud our other flatmates were being the other night!

recently they bought some cheap plastic football and have been obsessed with it. at first they just played with it in the kitchen / shared area and whilst it was a little annoying, it wasn't too bad. but for the past few days they've been playing with it in the hall. as my door is directly at the end of the hall, and not to the side like all of their doors, they frequently kick or throw the ball against my door. I asked two of them to stop on Thursday night at midnight, and then at midnight again last night I had to ask two complete strangers to stop kicking that ****ing ball at my door.

it's like they have no respect for the fact other people are living in this flat too.

it's not that late tonight, not even midnight, but they've been in the hallway for two hours now. slamming doors every two minutes, kicking the ball about, screaming and yelling. it's infuriating. I was trying to sleep because I have an early start tomorrow but they were just too loud, so im watching some TV at the moment.

I don't know how to speak to them about how loud they're being. it's not as bad when it's at the weekend because I understand that to an extent, but throughout the week its frustrating. it might be alright for them to go out all night and wake up at midday to watch their online lectures whenever they please, but ALL of my classes are in person. 4 days a week I have a 9am start and it's difficult when I can't sleep past midnight because they're being so loud all the time...

I know I could get earplugs, and I'm sure people will tell me that, but I also like to listen to ~relaxing~ sounds at night. I suppose that's my fault, though.

I just can't understand how they have no respect for the fact other people live here too. I get up pretty early most days (around 6 or 7 in the morning) but I try to be as quiet as possible. I usually stay in my room until I have to leave for my classes around 8.30am or slightly later. if I do laundry I'll do it early in the morning but I'll close the doors as quietly as possible. My flatmate is the same- gets up at 5am but is incredibly quiet.

Sorry for this rant. I know, I know. this is how living in halls is, I just have to deal with it, yack yack yack. I just want to vent my frustrations aha.
CorporalJin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
By any chance do you live in Leeds?
Because everthing you are saying has been happening on my side here to, instead of a football, I think its a basketball where they were playing in the kitchen like degenerates at 2am. Also same layout, hall way with the rooms, that leads to the kitchen at the end.

And the ''quiet hours'' that we have at till midnight is largely ignored.
yeah I really do not understand those types of people that are completely un-aware that others are living right next door, its not like the walls have sound isolation either. You can literally hear the smallest of sound details from others.

Unfortunately yes, earplugs are your best bet, or if you can, try and search for another accommodation if you have the time which is what im doing on my side of things, Im sure there are better options for around the same price that has a more peaceful/calm environment wherever you live at.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you’ve spoken to them and it’s still ongoing, report them to residential services or the block wardens.

Some people just don’t know how to live with others so you need to get someone with authority involved.
hurts2hatelo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CorporalJin)
By any chance do you live in Leeds?
Because everthing you are saying has been happening on my side here to, instead of a football, I think its a basketball where they were playing in the kitchen like degenerates at 2am. Also same layout, hall way with the rooms, that leads to the kitchen at the end.

And the ''quiet hours'' that we have at till midnight is largely ignored.
yeah I really do not understand those types of people that are completely un-aware that others are living right next door, its not like the walls have sound isolation either. You can literally hear the smallest of sound details from others.

Unfortunately yes, earplugs are your best bet, or if you can, try and search for another accommodation if you have the time which is what im doing on my side of things, Im sure there are better options for around the same price that has a more peaceful/calm environment wherever you live at.
Yeah I’m in Leeds lol. Maybe it’s a Leeds thing? Who knows.

Searching for other accommodation is a possibility, but unfortunately I’m a pretty anxious person and I don’t think moving would be good for my mental health. Its two sides of the same coin, I suppose. I’m hoping that once it gets further into the year they’ll pull their finger out and get to work. What I don’t understand is they’re doing pretty intense degrees, and although they’re all online, they must have a lot of work to do? I have 17 hours of classes a week (14 of which are in person) and spend at least 3 hours studying after classes every day because I have so much to do. I’ve done 5 hours today and it’s Saturday.

I just keep reminding myself that it’s only 9 months.. maybe less depending on how long they go home at Christmas and other holidays to spend with family. At least I’ll get some peace from them then..
CorporalJin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hurts2hatelo)
Yeah I’m in Leeds lol. Maybe it’s a Leeds thing? Who knows.

Searching for other accommodation is a possibility, but unfortunately I’m a pretty anxious person and I don’t think moving would be good for my mental health. Its two sides of the same coin, I suppose. I’m hoping that once it gets further into the year they’ll pull their finger out and get to work. What I don’t understand is they’re doing pretty intense degrees, and although they’re all online, they must have a lot of work to do? I have 17 hours of classes a week (14 of which are in person) and spend at least 3 hours studying after classes every day because I have so much to do. I’ve done 5 hours today and it’s Saturday.

I just keep reminding myself that it’s only 9 months.. maybe less depending on how long they go home at Christmas and other holidays to spend with family. At least I’ll get some peace from them then..
-Moving to a better place might spike your anxiety but will be much better in the long run I promise, espicially if its worth it.
Matter of fact it isn't as hard as you may think it is.

-yeah im not sure what studies they are doing, but just because it may seem like intensive studies, theres always going to be a few pupils that won't take it as seriously and party all through out the year, and hell some might barely pass/ other fail because of it. Maybe only during exam times will the noise die down, but then again people still find ways to party then.
I guess its better to stay optimistic rather then pessimistic of course.
But if the noise levels still remain high through out the upcoming weeks and you can no longer tolerate it, then its probably a best bet to see if you can talk to the reception about moving to another quieter floor, or moving out to another apartment all together, despite your anxiety in iniating it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed