Being a Teenager in the 2000's

Watch
roxy112221
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Anyone who was a teenager in the 2000's was it really iconic as everyone makes it out to be?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Dunno. parts of it were sound, I suppose
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by roxy112221)
Anyone who was a teenager in the 2000's was it really iconic as everyone makes it out to be?
late 90s, yes. the youth was known for thuggishness rather than wokeness but everything was so fun and carefree. early 2000s no, similar to how life is now but it was a transition phase between the 90s and now. the airwaves was dominated by rap music/R&B Slow Jams and London still had nightclubs
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 2 weeks ago
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was definitely better than now imo but then thats because I was from that era. I was from this era I'd probably assume this era is better. Who knows. Theres a lot of advantages for teens now. When I was at school no one had phones, mobiles were only just becoming a thing when I was 15. Now everyone takes one to school. We had to use books to research instead of the internet. And we had to rent out a video if we wanted to watch a film, now you can get everything on Netflix.

On the plus side our school dinners were a lot more unhealthier (in other words tastier) than they are now.
roxy112221
Rep:
?
(Original post by goggleyed)
It was definitely better than now imo but then thats because I was from that era. I was from this era I'd probably assume this era is better. Who knows. Theres a lot of advantages for teens now. When I was at school no one had phones, mobiles were only just becoming a thing when I was 15. Now everyone takes one to school. We had to use books to research instead of the internet. And we had to rent out a video if we wanted to watch a film, now you can get everything on Netflix.

On the plus side our school dinners were a lot more unhealthier (in other words tastier) than they are now.
Tbh in some ways that sounds so much better, these days its like a competition especially with social media and the negativity that comes with it. Also with having all this technology that gets abused and used in bad ways like photo shopping with young people comparing themselves with non reality images. Also I feel like google kinda ruins the whole learning processes in some ways, Like I know for myself sometimes I copy and paste notes from google without actually understanding any of it, however it does have a lot of positives especially with last minute homework lol
So yeah to conclude the 2000's sounds way better lol
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tbh in some ways that sounds so much better, these days its like a competition especially with social media and the negativity that comes with it. Also with having all this technology that gets abused and used in bad ways like photo shopping with young people comparing themselves with non reality images. Also I feel like google kinda ruins the whole learning processes in some ways, Like I know for myself sometimes I copy and paste notes from google without actually understanding any of it, however it does have a lot of positives especially with last minute homework lol
yeah thats the part that sucks and I really don't envy that. I was jealous of famous people when I was young and that was without social media, if I was a teen now and I followed all the celebs I envied I would most definitely have been insecure as hell. and addicted to social media. I do feel sorry for the kids today, they're living in a world that is more obsessed with image than ever before. on the flip side however I think the youth today are a lot more woke and accepting of all people and thats a good thing, thats definitely something i could have done with when i was younger. I was bullied for many things. Perhaps I'd have more people defending me if I was a teen of today.
Last edited by goggleyed; 2 weeks ago
roxy112221
Rep:
?
(Original post by goggleyed)
yeah thats the part that sucks and I really don't envy that. I was jealous of famous people when I was young and that was without social media, if I was a teen now and I followed all the celebs I envied I would most definitely have been insecure as hell. and addicted to social media. I do feel sorry for the kids today, they're living in a world that is more obsessed with image than ever before. on the flip side however I think the youth today are a lot more woke and accepting of all people and thats a good thing, thats definitely something i could have done with when i was younger. I was bullied for many things. Perhaps I'd have more people defending me if I was a teen of today.
As a teenager myself, I can totally agree with all of this. However there are pros like you said where people support people online even without knowing them out of an act of kindness just like this website for example
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
unfortunately life seems to get blander with every passing decade. as a 90s kid i always wish i grew up in the late 60s/early 70s hippie era.

apart from the R&B music thing i've already mentioned if you want to know what it was like being around then i will just tell you to watch early clips of Pop Idol/the X Factor in the early days. it's shocking how out of fashion most of it is now, Simon Cowell would literally bully contestants for their physical appearance or people with mental illnesses who would have delusions of their talent, and we would all enjoy it, not because we were nasty but because things were just more relaxed, but then you had things like Big Brother which was literally the same as Love Island, and for social media we had MySpace, Bebo and early-Facebook which were great because you could click on everyone's photos without necessarily knowing them, but we now have Instagram which is exactly the same, just better-taken photos on the whole. and it makes no difference whether you have smartphones or Motorola Razr/Sony Ericsson or Nokia phones.. we just used to have text instead of apps like whatsapp.

there is one really iconic thing actually that i do miss and that is MSN. no app like whatsapp can capture the magic of MSN. it was life and i curse facebook for destroying it

tl;dr, apart from media, nothing much has changed since the 2000s.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The late 90s and early 2000s was fantastic, yes.

But if you ask people older, they swear that the 60s / 70s / 80s were the best times to be a teenager, so it's possibly just subjective.

I've got to admit though, nowadays everything seems so boring. I'm glad I'm not a teenager now. Sure the digital advancements are brilliant, but the music and fashion scene is so bland.
Where's the individuality? Where's the culture? Where's the sense of "yeah, this song / outfit definitely belongs in this particular decade?"

As A Rolling Stone has said, nothing has changed at all. It's like people stopped making any sort of effort at all.
CorporalJin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im 1996, So I have say in this topic.
I remember clearly the world transitioning to digital in my childhood and teenage hood.

being aged 7-16 I remember most my time was spent outside, then gaming consoles such as the PS2/PS3/ Instagram/Facebook has put a HUGE dent in todays youth where even mentioning hanging out freaks them out is really depressing...

Im 25 and staying at students halls, even communicating with the younger students aged 18 they seem to only want to stay in their rooms and binge video/games instead of heading to the pubs, its dis-heartening and im not surprised why most of them tend to have a negative outlook in life with high depression/anxiety rates... Yeah.

Also as an above comment, this whole wokeness BS is starting to get stupid ridiculous cant say the word ''R3tard'' without some 2000 kid snowflake complaining and snitching to some superior.
Honestly a good punch in the face would do wonders...
Whats ironic is those same types of youth have no problem gloryifing rap music, killing, selling /doing hard drugs, fckinng b!tches. Its entertaning to watch and point out their hypocrisy...

Not saying all 2000s+ peeps are like that, some are actually waking up and have the whole liberal wokeness crap that has been happening the past decade or so..

Also the current trend which im hearing currently is ''acceptance'' for everyone which is Great, but a downside I see immediately is just pure self-entitlement that comes out of it so theres that.

End of the day theres no need to think badly about yourself because you where born in a certain era of time, really in 10 years time you will look back and compare to modern society..

Also agree with Rolling Stone's comment, on social media, Bebo was literally fire, it was 10x better then Facebook, you could customise and have GIF wallpapers on your profile and change profile themes as you would do on your phone's icons for example, and people would see that.
You also had those love things which is basically modern day ''clout''. hard to explain, and Im not even being nostalgic about it either. I always thought Bebo was better then FB/Instagram till this day...
I heard not to long ago about a rehash of Bebo, but it seems it died off completely and I seriously doubt it will ever beat its former glory lol...

I do think people spend wayyy to much time on their screens though compared to 10+ years ago, thats for damn sure!
Last edited by CorporalJin; 2 weeks ago
Talkative Toad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i say that the early 2000s and earlier were the best (wasn't a teen back then) the current generation is pants :shoot:.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lots more time spent outside, just generally 'hanging out' around town. Noone had a mobile so you had to memorise phone numbers and call landlines. Very limited internet access. Multiplayer gaming was done with 4 of us crowded around a single small screen.
CorporalJin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reue)
Lots more time spent outside, just generally 'hanging out' around town. Noone had a mobile so you had to memorise phone numbers and call landlines. Very limited internet access. Multiplayer gaming was done with 4 of us crowded around a single small screen.
Split screen/coop gaming was literally the best times I had in gaming, not saying I don't like current games but nothing beats being with boys until 4am in the same room ****ing around and what not.
RoadtoSuccess
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes the late 90s music was phenomenal compared to the music now that is just straight inappropriate most of the time If I try to click on trending music on youtube now I have to be careful my younger siblings aren't looking at my computer screen because it always has something that is just highly inappropriate and I do not understand why youtube even allows such music videos to exist and vulgar lyrics.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reue)
Man, I remember 4 player Goldeneye with my 3 brothers.

Dial-up :mad:
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I liked it a lot.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, it was a brilliant time.

The big difference for me is that the entertainment (music, television, sport, video games etc) felt authentic. There was a lot more passion and emotion attached to the pop culture of the time. Everything started to feel sanitised, polished and overproduced some time around the early 2010s.

Technological advances have also slowed down slightly in the past few years which is to be expected after 2 decades of rapid change.
janefitzjane
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wasn't all it's cracked up to be. Playing N64 as a kid in the late 90s then spending all evening when I got home from school waiting for my friends to log onto MSN messenger, and you would wait all night for your friends to appear, and they might not.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm all for discussing the late 90s and early 2000s, but we do have to be aware that our brains are wired to look back on previous eras through rose tinted glasses, and accordingly to be overly critical of more recent trends by comparison. I have great memories of the late 90s and early 2000s, but on any objective reading (bearing in mind we're all looking at it mainly subjectively) there are a lot of things about the modern world that are clearly better than back then, and equally an awful lot of things from that era have not aged well. Reminiscing is great and I'm here for that, but any critical assessment of whether certain things were better or worse requires people to step back and not just be swept along by their nostalgia.

There are also quite a few people in this thread getting their timings wrong. People have said there was limited internet access and no or few phones by the 2000s, which isn't right. The Nokia/Snake craze started in 1998. Just about everyone had phones in the early 2000s, and nearly everyone had some sort of internet access by the end of the 90s, albeit it was dial up. It clearly wasn't as accessible as it is now (not by a long shot), but the people painting pictures of mobile and internet free existences are misremembering. That's early to mid 90s, not particularly the late 90s and definitely not the early 2000s. By then MSN Messenger and texting was absolutely massive, which obviously needed nearly everyone to have a phone and internet access.
C1A
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
2020 and 2021 is much better than the 80s, 90s or early 200s. After the New World Order and Great Reset, it will get even better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (40)
88.89%
No (5)
11.11%

Watched Threads