Being a Teenager in the 2000's

Watch
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by black tea)
Suspect it strongly depends on the socio-economic background (and country) you grew up in. My family didn't have internet until around 2002 (and we only had it because my step father worked in IT and needed it for work), and there were other kids in my class at the time and later who didn't have it. I also didn't get my first mobile until 2007 because my family couldn't afford for me to have one and even then, I didn't really use it for anything other than listening to music. So I can confirm that my 90s childhood was indeed Internet and mobile free.
I was going to say something similar too. My mum didn’t get her first mobile phone until 2007 - that was a slim Motorola. The only other one we had in the house was one of those massive brick phones from God knows when but no one used it. We didn’t have internet until maybe 2006/7 so before that, I happily spent my time playing on paint and CD games.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 2 days ago
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I was going to say something similar too. My mum didn’t get her first mobile phone until 2007 - that was a slim Motorola. The only other one we had in the house was one of those massive brick phones from God knows when but no one used it. We didn’t have internet until maybe 2006/7 so before that, I happily spent my time playing on paint and CD games.
The socioeconomic point is a good one, and indeed I think there's been a lack of appreciate across the board (including by me) of the fact that being a teenager in the late 90s or early 2000s basically covers people who were aged anywhere between 13 and 19 within a 10 year period. That covers a huge number of people, who will all have different experiences based on a range of factors, including age, background etc. And indeed, irrespective of those factors the approach of your parents will play a big part in this. If your parents didn't think they needed internet until 2006 (even if they could have afforded it well before then), it's not as if you're going to have much chance of changing that decision as a teenager. I think I was too heavy handed with my first post. I was right about the timescales for mobiles, internet, MSN Messenger etc coming in, but just because I happened to be in the right position in terms of age and circumstances to experience them when or shortly after they came out, it doesn't mean everyone else was.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
Oh, completely misread your last post. In which case I can only fall back on age again. If you were only using MSN in 2006 I assume you weren't at university then, which again can explain some of the discrepancy (assuming I'm right about that, which given my last post there's every chance I'm not).
No, I was in year 10 in 2006
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads