The Student Room Group

Switching to A-level Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

i’ve switched! turns out my school does all of A-level maths in year 12 and all of FM in year 13, but i’ve done IAS maths sans mechanics (although the little content i retain memory of is rusty) so inshaAllah catching up won’t be too big of a pain :biggrin:
Original post by nightingalegend
i’m taking psychology a-level (alongside biology, chemistry and maths) but i’m finding it a bit bland despite the fact that i found the course outline quite interesting and i’m realising that i might just be more hardwired for science. i’ve never considered further maths as a subject choice as i always regarded it as too difficult (i’m not amazingly wonderful at maths, but i do enjoy it to an extent) and i’ve been wondering that maybe FM would have been a better option for me than psychology. the thing is, it’s near the october half-term now and so they will have covered a considerable amount of content.

i was thinking that, if i taught myself everything they’ve covered so far (it’s still somewhat early stages so hopefully this won’t be too difficult?), my school might let me switch. can anyone who takes further maths tell me a bit about the subject and how i can go about self-teaching the content that’s been done so far? is the start of the course (i.e. the first half term) similar to pure or is there a lot of new material? would you recommend that i switch for this reason alone? i don’t want to go to any teachers until i’m certain.

any input from current year 12s and also year 13s would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I think you'll be completely fine with catching it up. I'm in Year 12 and have to essentially teach myself Further Maths (I have online resources like questions paid for by the school but only have about 1.5 hours a week of lessons) and while it can get a bit complex I wouldn't say it's hard, but it just takes some time to get your head around. It's similar to normal Maths A Level in the way that it's just more Maths, slightly harder. If you really want to do it then go for it! I also switched to Physics a month in the course and managed to catch up, so it's not too late to do it since it's only been a few weeks of the course. Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest