a-level subjects for dentistry : advice please!

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(I've already created a similar thread but I'd like advice from dental students or A-level students)
I want to take Chemistry and Biology for A-level however I'm really stuck on what to do for the third subject. The only subjects I'm really considering are Maths or Pyschology.
However, I don't really like Maths at all and I don't want to stress myself with 3 difficult A-levels. I'm also worried that I won't get the A grade I need. At the same time, I don't know if Pyschology is considered an academic subject to take. And would Maths help me in any way considering it's not a requirement?
Can I please get advice from current or previous dental students?
Last edited by RK; 2 weeks ago
Carm15796
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hi! Im in sixth form currently and I take Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. I was in your exact situation, I knew maths was considered to be part of the 'golden trio' of subjects for medicine/dentistry, but I just didn't like it enough to want to do it for 2 years. So I chose psychology instead. All dentistry unis want is chemistry and biology, the third subject can be whatever you like and it wont affect you at all. Psychology is academic and I really enjoy it!
the_pharaoh
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Well for any unis you've looked at what subjects do they recommend for dentistry?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You do not need maths for dentistry and it does not offer any advantage over taking another subject. Do the subject you like the best and think you can get at least an A in.
the_pharaoh
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Dont they recommend more than 1 subject?
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by the_pharaoh)
Dont they recommend more than 1 subject?
Most are biology and chemistry, although at least two say they want biology or chemistry and one other science from biology, chemistry, physics or maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads