Worried about applying for university.

Watch
constantheadache
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have predicted grades of AAB (hopefully going up to A*AA-AAA after these exams with an A/A* in the EPQ) but I still feel like I won't get accepted into any universities I like because I haven't done a 'hard science'.

I currently do Psych, History and Politics and my EPQ is focused on Psychology but I feel like I might get rejected? I've tried really hard on my personal statement and followed all the advice I've been given but this anxious feeling won't go away ever since someone told me Russell Group universities prefer Biology, Chemistry and Maths??

I'm hoping to apply for Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton and I haven't decided on the other two.

Is it true that universities are biased in favour of the hard sciences or do they really only care if you've met the subject and grade requirements? Or would it be good if I try to exceed the entry requirements?

Does anyone have any advice? Or is anyone else applying/has applied for Psychology without the 'hard sciences'? Please help!!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by constantheadache)
I have predicted grades of AAB (hopefully going up to A*AA-AAA after these exams with an A/A* in the EPQ) but I still feel like I won't get accepted into any universities I like because I haven't done a 'hard science'.

I currently do Psych, History and Politics and my EPQ is focused on Psychology but I feel like I might get rejected? I've tried really hard on my personal statement and followed all the advice I've been given but this anxious feeling won't go away ever since someone told me Russell Group universities prefer Biology, Chemistry and Maths??

I'm hoping to apply for Manchester, Birmingham, Southampton and I haven't decided on the other two.

Is it true that universities are biased in favour of the hard sciences or do they really only care if you've met the subject and grade requirements? Or would it be good if I try to exceed the entry requirements?

Does anyone have any advice? Or is anyone else applying/has applied for Psychology without the 'hard sciences'? Please help!!
If they required what you call "hard science" A-levels they would ask for them.

All 3 of the universities you are interested in say they are happy with Psychology A-level as evidence of scientific ability. Two of them even reduce their offer by a grade if you take it (or another science).

Overthinking?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We don’t prefer ‘hard’ sciences and if we had any preferred subjects, these would be stated specifically in our entry requirements for the course.

Don’t listen to hearsay, go directly to the course pages that you are looking at for your information.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bath actually prefers those who have done a wider variety of A level subjects - both 'numerical' (includes Psych) and 'essay based' - https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...course-entries - and many other Unis will consider subects like Geography, Comp Sci etc as a scinece subject because they *want* people who dont all think the same.

Unis *have* to be honest and up front about any required or prefered subjects - no secrets, no information that 'only some people know' etc - if they dont state on the course page that those doing a hard science are 'preferred' then that is what it means.

Apply.
constantheadache
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you! This was very reassuring- I think I let my anxiety get the best of me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (40)
88.89%
No (5)
11.11%

Watched Threads