When to start looking for second year uni accommodation

Watch
Laurencarrington
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve recently started my first year at uni and was just wondering when I should start looking at a place to live for my second year. I’ve heard a lot of people start looking before Christmas or even now (october). I don’t mind of course, but it just seems so soon considering I’ve not long met my flat mates! but I also don’t want to be left with the short straw and limited options.
Royal Agricultural University
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Laurencarrington)
I’ve recently started my first year at uni and was just wondering when I should start looking at a place to live for my second year. I’ve heard a lot of people start looking before Christmas or even now (october). I don’t mind of course, but it just seems so soon considering I’ve not long met my flat mates! but I also don’t want to be left with the short straw and limited options.
Hi Lauren,

As a current second year student, I looked for my house around this time last year! It helps to just have a look at what is out there and have a think about who you would want to move in with. The people I live with now I lived in the same block as last year, and share a course with one of them!

Hope this helps
Emily (RAU Student Ambassador)
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well

This was also a really big shock to me when I moved to Uni as well - because I thought 'surely it can't be that soon!' but it was!

We looked for ours before Christmas, as we all wanted to get it sorted before Christmas time. Usually, student houses become available at the start of October, so it might be worth having a look and seeing if there are any you like. As well, see if your University has a housing fair, as often you can speak to different agencies / landlords which can introduce you to a few homes and let you know about any perks they have (for example, cleaning services).

I hope that's helpful - good luck in your search

Ana
University of Liverpool.
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I am also a first year and I was told to start looking around Christmas time/early next year which is what I am gonna do. I am in halls and its not the best loll but oh well, I was very disorganised when it came to picking my accom, the uni sent out some email like a month or 2 before results day telling us to do our research etc but I did none of that and as a result, when reserving my room I missed out on a lot of the good rooms but yeahh just gotta firm it.

I am planning on either moving into a student house with my mates or getting a studio flat, just a bit undecided rn but I have been looking at the prices for studio flats and its not too bad. I was initially gonna just go for a student house but was then told sometimes bills are not included so might go for studio flat and see if my mates do the same we can try and be in the same block but I shall see how it goes
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Laurencarrington,

It really is dependent on where you are studying and what sort of place you may want. Here at Hull there seems to be more availability than demand, so I tell the current students here not to panic too much, even though a lot of the letting agents are already sending messages that students should start looking now.

If you were after something unusual with 14 of your friends, then okay that is worth booking early, but for most of us I would say take your time, maybe visit some places just to take a look and judge the market.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

I can't speak for every city personally, but it tends to be the case that the good houses start getting taken around Christmas and early new year time. So there is no harm in looking as soon as possible. I wouldn't leave it too late because you may end up with a house in a worse location or of a lower standard than you would like.

The earlier the better i would say!

Hope this helps

Andrew
Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads