The Student Room Group

Changing my A level options?

Hi,

I chose Politics, History, and philosophy for my A levels. I am now a month into my A levels, and I do like some of the options, however, when I think about the future I believe that I won't like any of the Careers that my A-level choices lead to. At first, I wanted to be a lawyer that is why I chose these subjects however, I realised that is not what I want to do. I looked at other options and I always come back to the idea of being a dentist. But there is a problem with this, I don't know if I can do science A levels as I got 5-5 and I did foundation science. I don't want to sound crazy asking to do science levels when I did foundation science. However, I believe that if I put the effort in I can succeed, I have many family members who have degrees in sciences which may help. But I also don't know if I would enjoy doing biology and chemistry. I am really indecisive, Idk what to do. I need to make a decision by today before it's too late.
Reply 1
Hi :smile:

It is NEVER too late to change your options !!!!! i originally wanted to be a journalist and chose options such as english and history and business and then realised i wanted to be a vet !!!!

i ended up changing after a month to business biology and chemistry, and also had to resit my GCSE’s alongside revising for A levels in order to gain the correct entry requirements.

You can absolutely do it if that’s you want to do! Start applying for work experience in a dental clinic and getting volunteering so you can have a strong personal statement, you’ll also need to do well in your year 12 mocks so you can get predicted grades of at least AAA to apply :smile:
Reply 2
First of ngl I'm not the best person here to give his opinoin considering I'm new to A Levels (I was studying in another edu system do I haven't done IGCSE) and I'm in the same situation as well lol. But I take all sciences and math for now and I can say I have a bit of a grip on these subjects.
Although I can't say anything about if you should change or not, I can tell you a bit about the scientific subjects. I could be wrong here but chemistry, biology, and maths is enough for becoming a dentist. The main difference I've realized between doing IGCSE past papers and going through its syllabus and A Levels it's that much of the content is the same, it's just way more in depth and that the way they ask the questions in the exam is a bit different too.
Apart from that looking at the subject content all I can say is it requires a lot of studying just like any other A Levels subject. Biology will involve a lot of memorization and a lot of terminology. Although yes there are places where you can connect dots and make some sort of logic of what you're studying, you're going to be memorizing A LOT of things.
Chemistry is in the middle. Although there's still a lot of memorization here there's much more logic here which makes things much easier.
Maths is well just maths. The most important thing here is practice, practice, and practice. If you don't practice maths you're just not gonna pass.
The thing that you need to keep in mind is that no matter what you do it's all about practice. Search about the subjects and what not and try to understand what they are. And if you do decide to change them don't let impostor syndrome get the best of you. Remember, it's all about the work you put in.
Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by boku0524
Hi,

I chose Politics, History, and philosophy for my A levels. I am now a month into my A levels, and I do like some of the options, however, when I think about the future I believe that I won't like any of the Careers that my A-level choices lead to. At first, I wanted to be a lawyer that is why I chose these subjects however, I realised that is not what I want to do. I looked at other options and I always come back to the idea of being a dentist. But there is a problem with this, I don't know if I can do science A levels as I got 5-5 and I did foundation science. I don't want to sound crazy asking to do science levels when I did foundation science. However, I believe that if I put the effort in I can succeed, I have many family members who have degrees in sciences which may help. But I also don't know if I would enjoy doing biology and chemistry. I am really indecisive, Idk what to do. I need to make a decision by today before it's too late.

You could always look into the gateway to dentistry foundation year ! It’s one extra year in the degree and it’s for people who don’t meet the entry requirements. I think you still need biology or chemistry but you don’t need biology AND chemistry so maybe discuss with your college about options and about maybe trying biology, chemistry and your two favourite a levels out of the choices you originally chose for a couple of weeks to see what you think of the subjects but also you can bare in mind that if you don’t think doing bio AND chem is for you then the gateway year is an option :smile: . Also bare in mind u don’t need bio chem and maths, even though quite a lot of people do maths it isn’t necessary and if you’ll get a better grade in one of the subjects you originally took that you enjoy and are interested in then that’s better. Good luck ! (also pls keep me updated i’m interested now 😂)
Reply 4
Original post by Anas A.
First of ngl I'm not the best person here to give his opinoin considering I'm new to A Levels (I was studying in another edu system do I haven't done IGCSE) and I'm in the same situation as well lol. But I take all sciences and math for now and I can say I have a bit of a grip on these subjects.
Although I can't say anything about if you should change or not, I can tell you a bit about the scientific subjects. I could be wrong here but chemistry, biology, and maths is enough for becoming a dentist. The main difference I've realized between doing IGCSE past papers and going through its syllabus and A Levels it's that much of the content is the same, it's just way more in depth and that the way they ask the questions in the exam is a bit different too.
Apart from that looking at the subject content all I can say is it requires a lot of studying just like any other A Levels subject. Biology will involve a lot of memorization and a lot of terminology. Although yes there are places where you can connect dots and make some sort of logic of what you're studying, you're going to be memorizing A LOT of things.
Chemistry is in the middle. Although there's still a lot of memorization here there's much more logic here which makes things much easier.
Maths is well just maths. The most important thing here is practice, practice, and practice. If you don't practice maths you're just not gonna pass.
The thing that you need to keep in mind is that no matter what you do it's all about practice. Search about the subjects and what not and try to understand what they are. And if you do decide to change them don't let impostor syndrome get the best of you. Remember, it's all about the work you put in.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much
Reply 5
Original post by sototo
You could always look into the gateway to dentistry foundation year ! It’s one extra year in the degree and it’s for people who don’t meet the entry requirements. I think you still need biology or chemistry but you don’t need biology AND chemistry so maybe discuss with your college about options and about maybe trying biology, chemistry and your two favourite a levels out of the choices you originally chose for a couple of weeks to see what you think of the subjects but also you can bare in mind that if you don’t think doing bio AND chem is for you then the gateway year is an option :smile: . Also bare in mind u don’t need bio chem and maths, even though quite a lot of people do maths it isn’t necessary and if you’ll get a better grade in one of the subjects you originally took that you enjoy and are interested in then that’s better. Good luck ! (also pls keep me updated i’m interested now 😂)

Thank you so much, I will :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anas A.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by aliaa03
Hi :smile:

It is NEVER too late to change your options !!!!! i originally wanted to be a journalist and chose options such as english and history and business and then realised i wanted to be a vet !!!!

i ended up changing after a month to business biology and chemistry, and also had to resit my GCSE’s alongside revising for A levels in order to gain the correct entry requirements.

You can absolutely do it if that’s you want to do! Start applying for work experience in a dental clinic and getting volunteering so you can have a strong personal statement, you’ll also need to do well in your year 12 mocks so you can get predicted grades of at least AAA to apply :smile:

Thank you
Reply 8
Thank you so much

No problem! Please keep us updated I'm in a similar situation as well (well in my case I just want to drop physics for sociology but I'm not sure if that'd be even possible)!
Reply 9
But don’t you guys think it will be difficult doing a level sciences when I did foundation at gcse and got a 5
Reply 10
I know that my school suggests a 6 for sciences however if a student seems very keen to do sciences, they make an exception. I'm sure if it's something you're very passionate about and will work hard, you can do it. How did you do in your maths gcse (if you don't mind me asking)?
Reply 11
But don’t you guys think it will be difficult doing a level sciences when I did foundation at gcse and got a 5

It will be difficult but if you work hard and make an effort to bridge the gap and you’re enthusiastic i’m sure you’ll be fine !
Hi,

It's highly unlikely that your school would allow you to do A level sciences if you've only done Foundation at GCSE and your results were 5,5. The attainment and base knowledge from GCSE just isn't there, and you're at a further disadvantage by having missed half a term's work.

Speak to your teachers or HoVIth, but I don't think this feasible, or very advisable actually. Have you thought about subjects allied to dentistry, like dental nursing or something like that? You may also be able to do a level 3 BTEC in applied science.
Reply 13
Hi guys, you wanted to be kept updated, so today I asked the A-level biology and chemistry teacher if I could do biology and chemistry. She said it would be hard but if you're willing to put the effort in you can do it. Then she asked me to speak to the head of the Sixth form to arrange for this to happen. So my dad emailed her but she said to do it ASAP because it might be too late.
Hi guys, you wanted to be kept updated, so today I asked the A-level biology and chemistry teacher if I could do biology and chemistry. She said it would be hard but if you're willing to put the effort in you can do it. Then she asked me to speak to the head of the Sixth form to arrange for this to happen. So my dad emailed her but she said to do it ASAP because it might be too late.

that’s great!! don’t listen to anyones **** about being able to do it or not.

i struggled so badly in gcse sciences and went on to do it for A level as i told the school how badly i needed it for my course. Resat my GCSE’s alongside A levels and came out with a 9-8 in science. A levels are a massive step up for everyone, students who got 9’s in chemistry will start the year with C’s and D’s, but everyone is in the same boat and it DOES get better and will make more sense if you’re willing to study outside lessons and constantly ask your teachers about things you don’t understand.

you CAN do this :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by aliaa03
that’s great!! don’t listen to anyones **** about being able to do it or not.

i struggled so badly in gcse sciences and went on to do it for A level as i told the school how badly i needed it for my course. Resat my GCSE’s alongside A levels and came out with a 9-8 in science. A levels are a massive step up for everyone, students who got 9’s in chemistry will start the year with C’s and D’s, but everyone is in the same boat and it DOES get better and will make more sense if you’re willing to study outside lessons and constantly ask your teachers about things you don’t understand.

you CAN do this :smile:

Thank you so much !!
Yeah tbh I am doing biology chemistry maths and economics.Biology isn't too hard but the amount of content could be overwhelming and the concepts in chemistry definitely isn't easy but yeah basically if you commit to it then you should be fine, its all about work ethic tbh.
Reply 17
I'm doing biology and chemistry now!
Reply 18
I'm doing biology and chemistry now!

amazing ! let me know how it goes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest