considering switching english to computer science

Watch
mitskienjoyer
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi, i've finished my first month of a levels. i ended up picking maths, english, biology and chemistry. i think after my a levels i'm gonna want to go to uni to study computer science and/or biology, but i might change my mind because i'm incredibly indecisive. my favourite subjects when i was at gcse were history, biology and computing. i'd have to drop english to do computer science because of the timetable, and there is no way it could be switched around, otherwise i would've been happy to drop chemistry in favour of computer science. unfortunately, now i've been struggling on what to do. i enjoy both computer science and english as subjects, does anyone have any help?
kxrolina_
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If you want to do computer science at uni maybe you should do computer science. Sorry you can't swap it with chemistry, I've been in a similar situation, but if you enjoy computer science you should be fine and it would honestly fit with your other a levels better anyway.
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
i think i want to do computer science with biology as a degree. i'm feeling so lost to be honest, i don't know what to do. i like literature and i like reading, but i'm also interested in computers. i've started the first 5 weeks of school doing english, so maybe it's too late to switch to computer science - i don't know what to do. i'm too indecisive.
juicygcse
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mitskienjoyer)
i think i want to do computer science with biology as a degree. i'm feeling so lost to be honest, i don't know what to do. i like literature and i like reading, but i'm also interested in computers. i've started the first 5 weeks of school doing english, so maybe it's too late to switch to computer science - i don't know what to do. i'm too indecisive.
For a lot of unis they don't require computer science A-level to take it as a degree, only maths. Having said that, I'd imagine it would help to take it and it's definitely worth looing at unis you're interested in and what their requirements are for their specific course. In terms of catching up, if you did computer science GCSE (is that what you meant by computing?) then it should be manageable, especially if you get it done now and have time over half term to catch up. I can't tell you what you should do, that's down to your personal preferences and decisions you feel are best, but I would just reccommend doing further research into unis and the A-level computer science course that your school offers (aka find out what exam board your school does and go on their website to see the syllabus) and see whether that's something you want to spend 2 years doing
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
(Original post by juicygcse)
For a lot of unis they don't require computer science A-level to take it as a degree, only maths. Having said that, I'd imagine it would help to take it and it's definitely worth looing at unis you're interested in and what their requirements are for their specific course. In terms of catching up, if you did computer science GCSE (is that what you meant by computing?) then it should be manageable, especially if you get it done now and have time over half term to catch up. I can't tell you what you should do, that's down to your personal preferences and decisions you feel are best, but I would just reccommend doing further research into unis and the A-level computer science course that your school offers (aka find out what exam board your school does and go on their website to see the syllabus) and see whether that's something you want to spend 2 years doing
yeah that's what i mean by it, i did computer science gcse and got an 8 in it (which is the same as what i got in english lit and lang). the exam board my school is on is eduqas, and i like the way the course looks but i also like my english course.
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
would i be put at a disadvantage for dropping english? like, i mean if i don't have an essay subject are there repercussions to this
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
would i be put at a disadvantage for dropping english? like, i mean if i don't have an essay subject are there repercussions to this
tbh i'm going to go batshit insane over this decision bc i don't think i'm ever going to decide. should i flip a coin?
Bernsdette
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hi, i've finished my first month of a levels. i ended up picking maths, english, biology and chemistry. i think after my a levels i'm gonna want to go to uni to study computer science and/or biology, but i might change my mind because i'm incredibly indecisive. my favourite subjects when i was at gcse were history, biology and computing. i'd have to drop english to do computer science because of the timetable, and there is no way it could be switched around, otherwise i would've been happy to drop chemistry in favour of computer science. unfortunately, now i've been struggling on what to do. i enjoy both computer science and english as subjects, does anyone have any help?
IS THIS CHLOE?? also if it is im doing english and computer science and i prefer computer science more english is stressful
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
(Original post by bernsdette)
is this chloe?? Also if it is im doing english and computer science and i prefer computer science more english is stressful
help... Hi bern
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
(Original post by Bernsdette)
IS THIS CHLOE?? also if it is im doing english and computer science and i prefer computer science more english is stressful
but yeah bro i like computer science as a hobby and stuff and i'm worried about not having an essay based subject if i drop english. i'm going to propose the idea of dropping english to my english teacher tomorrow and i'll see how she takes it lol kinda scared
Bernsdette
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
but yeah bro i like computer science as a hobby and stuff and i'm worried about not having an essay based subject if i drop english. i'm going to propose the idea of dropping english to my english teacher tomorrow and i'll see how she takes it lol kinda scared
omg I wouldn't actually have thought to see you here or have guessed but yeah it depends what you want to do for uni if you're worried about not having an essay based subject like me for an example I'm taking english lit and english language along side with computer science the reason why is bc I either wanna do law for uni or computer science I'm keeping my options broad for when the time comes..
mitskienjoyer
Rep:
(Original post by Bernsdette)
omg I wouldn't actually have thought to see you here or have guessed but yeah it depends what you want to do for uni if you're worried about not having an essay based subject like me for an example I'm taking english lit and english language along side with computer science the reason why is bc I either wanna do law for uni or computer science I'm keeping my options broad for when the time comes..
yeahh exactly thats why i'm conflicted : (
Bernsdette
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yeahh exactly thats why i'm conflicted : (
it's alright but if I were you I would choose computer science its really fun! I'm currently learning 4 different languages for the subject rn so you better choose quickly or else you'll be so behind unless you already know python, java, css and all that stuff also you'll be a woman in stem (not that you already arent) !!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads