The Student Room Group

Going to the GP for low mood - what will happen ?

I would say I have had fluctuating low mood for roughly the past 4 years and it’s been affecting my life for about 2 years.

Most recently from January - June I found it hard to get out of bed, did no uni work and gained around 20lbs. I felt such a DEEP deep sadness.

Over the summer, this improved a bit. It seemed to be hormonal over summer, which is typical for me, and I’d have about 14 days of low mood a month around my period.

But things are just heading downwards again and have been for the past 1-2months

I’m very very busy so I’m not able to struggle to get out of bed but I just feel awful.
I’ve become really irritable which is SO unlike me completely, to the point I’m giving dirty looks to strangers whenever I go out. I’m avoiding any social situation which doesn’t include alcohol because I hate myself too much to be present sober. I’m also very tearful whenever I’m at home, pretty much on the verge of tears at all times

I’m also starting to have some bad thoughts about s***de but no intentions at the moment. I have had family members attempt and know the pain it causes so I couldn’t go through with it or tell my family because they’ve suffered enough but I feel very despondent about the fact that I’m going to have to stay alive to suffer this pain.

I want to go the gp because I’m really starting to struggle but I don’t have anyone to talk to. I don’t know what solutions they could provide though, I know there’s pretty much not going to be any chance of talking therapy and I don’t want to go on antidepressants so is there any point to actually going ?
Why don't you think there's a chance of talking therapy? I'd say that's the most likely outcome.

They'll refer you on probably.

It's definitely worth going in any case. More chance of getting better if you seek help than if not.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ashtolga23
Why don't you think there's a chance of talking therapy? I'd say that's the most likely outcome.

They'll refer you on probably.

Surely the wait time now is well over a year, I don’t see the point really
Original post by Anonymous
Surely the wait time now is well over a year, I don’t see the point really

That will depend on you area and the availability and their assessment of you.

Is there a specific reason you don’t want to go on anti depressants?

It’s good to go and see what your options for treatment are instead of writing them off because you don’t think they will be available.
Reply 4
Original post by GabiAbi84
That will depend on you area and the availability and their assessment of you.

Is there a specific reason you don’t want to go on anti depressants?

It’s good to go and see what your options for treatment are instead of writing them off because you don’t think they will be available.

To be honest one of the main reasons I don’t want to go on anti depressants is i want to lose the weight I’ve put on and I know they can affect this.
My weight really affects my mood so it’s quite important to me
Hi, please do go to your GP. They can help in more ways than just antidepressants and putting you on a waitlist (and there might not even be a waitlist for you). They could refer you to other people, find local charities that offer help whilst looking for longer-term support and suggest lifestyle changes that they then help you to do as well as many other things that I don't really know about. Even little things help and talking to someone about it will definitely help.
I can't lie I didn't have a good experience with going to my GP when I was in the same situation just last year.

My GP talked through my issues with me and recommended downloading Headspace. I wasn't directly referred to therapy but was asked to contact Birmingham healthy minds which is a great service in theory but waiting times for appointments can be up to 6 months.

I was very lucky at the time to have access to a private healthcare service where I was given some medication due to the severity of how I felt and referred to therapy with AXA. If this is an option I would really recommend this over going through NHS. NHS is great for most things but unfortunately I don't think they have to budget to deal with the increase in mental health cases.

I think you should definitely try as a starting point with your normal GP but consider going private.

Please don't give in to any thoughts.

Every one is different so what worked for me may mean nothing to you. I removed my self from the stressful situation and took some leave from work and had some alone time to practise self care. For me this was lying in at first and having more control over my time. I started journalling and taking more care over my health by trying to fit in a walk at least once every few days even it was just a few minutes. I was on medication for a few months before I stopped as I didn't want to become reliant on them. I still have my dark days but I feel like this is normal for most people and I find I can get back to my normal structure eventually.
To be honest one of the main reasons I don’t want to go on anti depressants is i want to lose the weight I’ve put on and I know they can affect this.

Antidepressants Can make you put on weight-they can also make you lose your appetite or have no effect on it whatsoever.
But they could help you get into a healthier headspace which will help you have the motivation and will power to be able to do something about your weight gain- it’s a bit of a two way street.
I do understand your hesitation as most if not all ADs have possible side effects but there are so many different possible options these days that your doctor should be able to find you something that will help without giving you severe side effects.
Even with a long waiting list trust me you'll be glad you went on it, when the times comes around (time will fly) you will be grateful for it. Most commonly they refer people for CBT. Until then, there are other resources like support groups offering free or pay-what-you-can counselling for particular needs e.g. DA, single mums, or lgbtq coommunities. The online silver cloud platform (could ask wellbeing service if they can sign you up for that while you wait).

Surely it is better to be bigger than you would prefer but alive and happy, than miserable or worse, not here?

If things are this bad and you are starting to struggle, it may be best to at least speak to your GP to see what the options are rather than to just assume that there won't be any suitable options? CBT can be done over the phone and even online so it may well be an option. Things will just continue to get worse if you don't ask for help and it will be even harder to ask for help at that point.

Quick Reply

Latest