The Student Room Group

Volunteering for Law

I've managed to get volunteering at a local charity shop however, my careers advisor said that it would be far preferable to do it at a place that is at a court or law firm. However, I know no one that could help me get a place to volunteer at a law firm and none are accepting. (im at sixth form)

Does anyone know where you can volunteer specifically that would look best on your personal statement for Law.
Hi there,

As you mention, it can be really very difficult to get any volunteer or work experience places at law firms, this being because they are incredibly competitive and are generally kept for those already studying a law degree in the form of Vacation Schemes.

Most employability services at universities will assure you that some experience is better than no experience, and for a sixth former especially. I would not worry too much about the kind of volunteer work you are doing at the moment, and more make the most of the experience you can get.

There are many ways that you can use the experience you do have to look good on a personal statement. For example, volunteering at a charity shop can help suggest an interest in pro bono work and working for a greater cause, something that definitely will look good on a personal statement for any subject but especially for law.

I hope this helps!

Leah :smile:
UEA Law
OP work exp. isn’t relevant for a PS. Read some books, develop some thoughts on an aspect of the law, write it down.

Quick Reply

Latest