So I’m getting constantly shouted at by my mother at school for my messy shirt etc

Watch
Stan56
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve just recently started y11 and my mum is always shouting at me telling for me to do up my top button, tighten my tie, tuck in my shirt and put my blazer on. However I’ve been dressing like this messily since I joined and most teachers couldn’t care less.

I’m a set 1 and 2 student in most subjects anyway so don’t see the problem in the way I wear my uniform as long as I am actually wearing it. Hopefully I can prove to my mum that it is normal and doesn’t look too bad.

Thanks
SummerStrawberry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a good habit to be in - you'd be surprised how far looking presentable will take you in just about any career you might want to join in the future.

Should it be like that, that people are judged on how they look before they're judged on what they do? No, probably not. But it's the truth of the matter.

Your Mum's right.
Stan56
Rep:
?
(Original post by SummerStrawberry)
It's a good habit to be in - you'd be surprised how far looking presentable will take you in just about any career you might want to join in the future.

Should it be like that, that people are judged on how they look before they're judged on what they do? No, probably not. But it's the truth of the matter.

Your Mum's right.
But I’m in a school not a workplace
0ptics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stan56)
I’ve just recently started y11 and my mum is always shouting at me telling for me to do up my top button, tighten my tie, tuck in my shirt and put my blazer on. However I’ve been dressing like this messily since I joined and most teachers couldn’t care less.

I’m a set 1 and 2 student in most subjects anyway so don’t see the problem in the way I wear my uniform as long as I am actually wearing it. Hopefully I can prove to my mum that it is normal and doesn’t look too bad.

Thanks
I think the problem here is the impression that messy clothing could portray as opposed to non-messy clothing. Or maybe it could be due to the fact that your mum thinks that the way you’re dressing is against school’s policy? I can’t really speak for your situation because when I was in high school, it was mandatory to do the opposite of what you’ve just described and teachers actually cared if I didn’t tighten my tie etc.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your mum is prob ashamed that the school staff think she sends you to school looking like that/approves. What you do reflects on your home.
Stan56
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0ptics)
I think the problem here is the impression that messy clothing could portray as opposed to non-messy clothing. Or maybe it could be due to the fact that your mum thinks that the way you’re dressing is against school’s policy? I can’t really speak for your situation because when I was in high school, it was mandatory to do the opposite of what you’ve just described and teachers actually cared if I didn’t tighten my tie etc.
Why should I dress so smart. I could of sworn it was normal for an untucked shirt, top button undone, loose tie and no blazer. Only person who really cares is my head teacher who’s given me a lot of detentions since the year he’s been here. But I’m a top student so don’t see the problem. I was hoping this would prove to my mum that how I dress is normal?
0ptics
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why should I dress so smart.
I don’t know, that’s not my position. I’m neutral on this topic and merely stating why your mother could consider you to not dress smart.
I could of sworn it was normal for an untucked shirt, top button undone, loose tie and no blazer.
I don’t know, maybe other schools are laid back with how students can dress? Mine certainly wasn’t.

Only person who really cares is my head teacher who’s given me a lot of detentions since the year he’s been here.
To me, it seems strange that only your head teacher (in school) seems to care about the way that students dress. Does your mum get notified about detentions? Because, if so, I’m eager to bet (0 pounds) that is why your mum is annoyed at the current way that you dress.
But I’m a top student so don’t see the problem. I was hoping this would prove to my mum that how I dress is normal?
I don’t see how being a top student = normal clothes tbh. A person could have a skilled job yet could wear primitive clothing (that would be a rare sight indeed, but it could happen!). Personally, I think that it’s the detention that’s annoying your mum, as stated in another point.
Stan56
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0ptics)
I don’t know, that’s not my position. I’m neutral on this topic and merely stating why your mother could consider you to not dress smart.

I don’t know, maybe other schools are laid back with how students can dress? Mine certainly wasn’t.

To me, it seems strange that only your head teacher (in school) seems to care about the way that students dress. Does your mum get notified about detentions? Because, if so, I’m eager to bet (0 pounds) that is why your mum is annoyed at the current way that you dress.

I don’t see how being a top student = normal clothes tbh. A person could have a skilled job yet could wear primitive clothing (that would be a rare sight indeed, but it could happen!). Personally, I think that it’s the detention that’s annoying your mum, as stated in another point.
Nah she just thinks I look really scruffy and messy. Idk why?
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your mum is right.
There is nothing cool about looking scruffy. It's not hard to dress properly.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Spoiler: You’re not a top student if you’ve had multiple detentions within a year.
Stan56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Spoiler: You’re not a top student if you’ve had multiple detentions within a year.
I’m in high sets. And detentions are mostly for uniform infringements.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m in high sets. And detentions are mostly for uniform infringements.
Yes, exactly. You have a poor disciplinary record. Not a top student.
Stan56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Yes, exactly. You have a poor disciplinary record. Not a top student.
Not for bad reasons though. Only for an untucked shirt and all that
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not for bad reasons though. Only for an untucked shirt and all that
Those are bad reasons, you don't take a telling and have become a disciplinary problem, further embarrassing your mum.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not for bad reasons though.
Your school disagrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads