History vs Combined Honours in Social Sciences

Watch this thread
Jason03
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Looking at both courses I feel like the history course may be too narrow and not allow much opportunity to study aspects that I would really enjoy that I could get in a history and politics (and also maybe economics as a third) degree.

However, the website says little about the overall structure of the degree of Combined Honours in Social Sciences and I was wondering if it is structured way worse and with fewer options (in the individual subjects) than a normal degree?
I was also worried as to how this degree title would seem to an employer (i.e. law firms) in relation to just a pure history degree in reputation
wise?

(I have a guaranteed offer from completing the summer school, so it's just a case of choosing which course - I had thought they offered a history and politics course for some reason, which they don't )
2021HisPol
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Jason03)
Looking at both courses I feel like the history course may be too narrow and not allow much opportunity to study aspects that I would really enjoy that I could get in a history and politics (and also maybe economics as a third) degree.

However, the website says little about the overall structure of the degree of Combined Honours in Social Sciences and I was wondering if it is structured way worse and with fewer options (in the individual subjects) than a normal degree?
I was also worried as to how this degree title would seem to an employer (i.e. law firms) in relation to just a pure history degree in reputation
wise?

(I have a guaranteed offer from completing the summer school, so it's just a case of choosing which course - I had thought they offered a history and politics course for some reason, which they don't )
Yh, I was gonna apply for history but now im glad I didnt since the modules choices for first year were very narrow (for me, since I like Eastern history more than Western History). The modules running do change every year tho so keep that in mind. CHSS/Lib Arts, module choice wise (in my opinion) are quite broad and you are more likely to find something you like but depts at durham handle things slightly differently so do go in expecting the politics dept. to be "history dept but w/o hist content" . Reputation wise I think History has a better reputation but then again im not sure the employer will be nitpicky enough for that to be the distinguishing factor.
Last edited by 2021HisPol; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago

wise?

Hi!
I'm a first year History student at Durham, and I was in a similar position to you where I was unsure about doing History or History and Politics.
I ultimately chose to do single honours History because I didn't want to feel like I was half doing 2 degrees. There is a lot of politics in History and vice versa, but I feel like you can discuss politics, albeit contemporary, more in History than the other way round.
Your first year modules are quite broad for single honours History, but they do get more specific and narrowed for second and third year. You might also want to consider whether you enjoy reading about Politics, rather than it being something that you are willing to study at undergraduate level.
Durham Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago

wise?

Hello Jason03

Congratulations on the guaranteed offer - hope you will be joining the Durham community soon.

There are many pros and cons to doing History or Combined Honour in Social Sciences. I'm in my 3rd year of my History degree and I chose History because I wanted to study a wide range of history so I had to study modules on the Medieval, Early Modern and Modern period. My friend chose combined honours because they only really had an interest in Modern history and didn't want to study the other periods. Moreover my friend wanted the chance to have additional modules from different departments so he did a Geography module in first year. I would recommend Combine Honours if you want a variety of subject modules and choice over what you study and what you don't study. I would recommend History if you have a genuine passion and interest in the discipline no matter the topic or period.

The Combined Honours degree is amazing and prestigious in its own right so don't worry about about potential employers. Hope this was helpful!

-Lamesha (Official DU Rep)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads