The Student Room Group

English literature A-Level for medicine

Hi!

I'm currently doing four A levels (Bio, chem, psych and English lit) and I'm in year 12. I plan on dropping either English or psych in the next few weeks because I'm struggling with the workload and my bio and chem are suffering. I know psych is pretty much always the third option for bio and chem so I thought maybe English lit would help me stand out? But yeah, I'd like advice on whether psych or English is better for medicine, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I would suppose psychology is more relevant for medicine, but universities very rarely mind what your third subject is.
In fact, i thought the most common 3rd subject was maths haha.

Basically, choose what you're more likely to get better grades in.
Reply 2
Original post by kcsjeo
I would suppose psychology is more relevant for medicine, but universities very rarely mind what your third subject is.
In fact, i thought the most common 3rd subject was maths haha.

Basically, choose what you're more likely to get better grades in.

It probably is maths tbh, most people I know are doing Bio, chem and psych which is where I got the idea. Right now I'd say I'm doing better in psych but enjoy it way less than English lit. I think I'll speak to a careers advisor at school.
Reply 3
Thank you! Do you think med schools would prefer psych over English if they haven't specified what they want your 3rd a level to be or it really doesn't matter as long as you meet the grades they're asking for?
Just pick whichever subject you like more. Cambridge is the only medical school that requires biology, chemistry and maths or physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending