The Student Room Group

Civil service fast steam

Hi guys

Does anyone know where civil service fast stream is based? Do you get to choose where you are?

& If for example it's at London would it only be in one location in London for example just Central London? And is there any option to work remotely permanently
Reply 1
Original post by Tee100x
Hi guys

Does anyone know where civil service fast stream is based? Do you get to choose where you are?

& If for example it's at London would it only be in one location in London for example just Central London? And is there any option to work remotely permanently

What I've read and been informed of so far is that the postings tend to be focused purely in London or Kilbride, especially for the 1st year. In recent years, I believe that they have and are continuing to diversify the locations outside of London, but its still very London-centric.

You don't have a choice over the location of your placement or the office/department, certainly for the first year anyway. There may be a limited degree of choice if you're reassigned in the 2nd/3rd/4th years, but don't assume that's always the case.

For some schemes, such as the Generalist, the location can vary throughout the placement and there's no one location that all Generalists are assigned to. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but some placements include working for councils outside of London, for example.

For other placements, it's effectively impossible to work outside of London. Such as the Diplomatic or Parliament schemes, it is entirely London based during those years. You may be lucky enough to go on a week-long excursion elsewhere in the UK or abroad, but that's a rare treat.

At the end of the day, the location is dependent on what scheme you choose. Vast majority of postings are London based, and unless its working for a local council or authority in London, it's pretty safe to assume its Central London based too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by KangNa
What I've read and been informed of so far is that the postings tend to be focused purely in London or Kilbride, especially for the 1st year. In recent years, I believe that they have and are continuing to diversify the locations outside of London, but its still very London-centric.

You don't have a choice over the location of your placement or the office/department, certainly for the first year anyway. There may be a limited degree of choice if you're reassigned in the 2nd/3rd/4th years, but don't assume that's always the case.

For some schemes, such as the Generalist, the location can vary throughout the placement and there's no one location that all Generalists are assigned to. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but some placements include working for councils outside of London, for example.

For other placements, it's effectively impossible to work outside of London. Such as the Diplomatic or Parliament schemes, it is entirely London based during those years. You may be lucky enough to go on a week-long excursion elsewhere in the UK or abroad, but that's a rare treat.

At the end of the day, the location is dependent on what scheme you choose. Vast majority of postings are London based, and unless its working for a local council or authority in London, it's pretty safe to assume its Central London based too.

London or East Kilbride is only for diplomatic and development.

For most streams, other than HoP or DiploDev, you can be posted pretty much anywhere. You do actually have some choice over your location and department in your first posting. I put down London as my first choice and got it but most fast streamers I know are elsewhere. The postings team do take your preference into account. Also, postings outside London might not be at local councils. Most government departments have offices outside of London. This will likely continue as the government continues to level up the regions.

And for diplo, pre-Covid I know there was quite a lot of international travel for fast streamers, with up to eight trips abroad for one fast streamer I know.

Overall, I'd say the scheme isn't as London centric anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending