Am I better off taking Psychology at uni as opposed to English to become a therapist?

Watch
Kiwimuncher28
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My initial plan was to study psychology and take the necessary measures to get onto the training course, however, I have spent the past year studying A-level English (which I initially had reservations about as I kind of 'had to do it) and I really engaged with it.

I guess my question is if I were to take English at uni, would it be an extra hassle to take a psychology conversion course? If I do take it, would I need to complete further studies after that? Or could I be able to bypass that and take a master's degree in psychology?

Any responses will be much appreciated!
succubus666
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know how the conversion course for psychology works but i would suggest you take psychology as a degree, but also what are your other a level subjects as some unis might require science based subjects to study psychology
Kiwimuncher28
Rep:
?
(Original post by succubus666)
I don’t know how the conversion course for psychology works but i would suggest you take psychology as a degree, but also what are your other a level subjects as some unis might require science based subjects to study psychology
My A-levels are Psychology, English Lit, Sociology and History
sgreen0502
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’d take psychology, since it opens doors to psychology experience routes more than English would. But for all the experience you can get singularly in psychology, English does open doors to a wider group of other places, just not as condensed as Psychology would be. You already have an English Lit a-level anyways
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kiwimuncher28)
My initial plan was to study psychology and take the necessary measures to get onto the training course, however, I have spent the past year studying A-level English (which I initially had reservations about as I kind of 'had to do it) and I really engaged with it.

I guess my question is if I were to take English at uni, would it be an extra hassle to take a psychology conversion course? If I do take it, would I need to complete further studies after that? Or could I be able to bypass that and take a master's degree in psychology?

Any responses will be much appreciated!
I guess you have to consider what you want to do after university. What would be your reason for taking English rather than Psychology?

If you study English at university, but decide you want to go into a career in psychology, you would need to take a BPS-accredited conversion course. You could use a student loan to fund this, but you would not get further funding if you wanted to do another MSc after this.

Also, have a look at the requirements for different therapist and psychology roles, as they are all different. There are many different types of therapists and psychologists, so make sure you are getting the right experience for the role(s) you are interested in.
succubus666
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My A-levels are Psychology, English Lit, Sociology and History
Yeah i think you should apply for psychology but also which unis are you thinking of?
Kiwimuncher28
Rep:
?
I think one of the reasons for thinking about taking English purely comes from the fact that the content on the course seems really engaging, the same can be said for psychology but some aspects of the course don't seem to spark that excitement anymore. I'm aware that when it comes to uni that thinking about the long term is important, but a part of me feels that taking a course that really interests me will yield much better results as opposed to taking Psychology in the hopes of becoming a therapist when there are alternative routes to get there. I guess I'm just asking about the practicality...I didn't know that I wouldn't be eligible for further funding if I were to take a conversion course.

Thank you for your input, it's given me factors that I didn't initially think about!
Kiwimuncher28
Rep:
?
Well initially I was thinking about Manchester, Glasgow, Sussex, Kings and I don't know about the potential fifth choice!
TheLetterZ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think one of the reasons for thinking about taking English purely comes from the fact that the content on the course seems really engaging, the same can be said for psychology but some aspects of the course don't seem to spark that excitement anymore. I'm aware that when it comes to uni that thinking about the long term is important, but a part of me feels that taking a course that really interests me will yield much better results as opposed to taking Psychology in the hopes of becoming a therapist when there are alternative routes to get there. I guess I'm just asking about the practicality...I didn't know that I wouldn't be eligible for further funding if I were to take a conversion course.

Thank you for your input, it's given me factors that I didn't initially think about!
Having an interest in the subject you study is important, but you should not study a subject just because you are interested in it. Think about it. Do you want to study English literature because you like fiction and reading fiction and thinking about fiction? If so, you can do that on your own time without going into £27,000 of debt. Or do you want to study English literature because doing so will help you fulfil your needs and achieve your goals? That's a different story.

I think you seem to be experiencing a tension that many young people experience: that between what excites you more and between that which is more "practical". I suggest giving both subjects more time and thinking in both the short-term and long-term. After all, psychology is very broad: chances are the really exciting stuff is waiting to be found!
Last edited by TheLetterZ; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (184)
55.76%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (46)
13.94%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (36)
10.91%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.39%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.55%

Watched Threads