i need to switch back to fluoxetine/prozac asap, any advice please?

Watch
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i'm currently on sertraline, i've only been on it for a week or two. a couple days ago my doctor increased my dose, but today's like only my second day on the higher dose. within 40mins - 1h of taking it, something weird happened. it's like i'm suddenly partially (like maybe 30 - 40%? it's noticeable) deaf in one ear. i know this sounds crazy af and my doctor probably won't even believe me if i tell him.

but it's true and there's no way i'm ever taking sertaline again. i mean surely my hearing will return to its former glory once that crap is out of my system but i'm too scared to ever take it again.

my question is -i 've got lots of leftover fluoxetine/prozac - can i switch back to it tomorrow? do i need to wait a few days? despite all the issues i had with it, i'm willing to give it another go, i have a feeling nothing bad will happen this time, and i'd rather be sleepy all the time, than freaking deaf. i don't want to experiment with antidepressants anymore
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should probably speak your doctor about your ear - it may not even be related to the sertraline. As for switching between antidepressants, again, you really need to speak to your doctor - it's not as easy as just stopping one and taking the other one the next day, they usually need to be cross tapered and you may need a washout period. Please don't experiment with this on your own and seek advice from a health professional.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
You should probably speak your doctor about your ear - it may not even be related to the sertraline. As for switching between antidepressants, again, you really need to speak to your doctor - it's not as easy as just stopping one and taking the other one the next day, they usually need to be cross tapered and you may need a washout period. Please don't experiment with this on your own and seek advice from a health professional.
but i've only been on sertaline for like less than two weeks.
i really don't want to see my doctor again, i mean not anytime soon :<
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
but i've only been on sertaline for like less than two weeks.
i really don't want to see my doctor again, i mean not anytime soon :<
It will have still built up in your system and you will need a period of time for your body to metabolise it so it is safe to start taking another SSRI. Could you speak to them on the phone?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
It will have still built up in your system and you will need a period of time for your body to metabolise it so it is safe to start taking another SSRI. Could you speak to them on the phone?
idk maybe. but he will probably think i'm crazy if i tell him about the hearing loss thing.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
idk maybe. but he will probably think i'm crazy if i tell him about the hearing loss thing.
you don't have to tell him about the hearing loss thing, you could just say you've decided you felt better on the fluoxetine or something (though you probably should mention the hearing thing in case it is unrelated and needs further tests)
Ciel.
Rep:
?
you don't have to tell him about the hearing loss thing, you could just say you've decided you felt better on the fluoxetine or something (though you probably should mention the hearing thing in case it is unrelated and needs further tests)
maybe i'll just get my boyfriend to call him for me. i really just can't deal with doctors today, eh
Ciel.
Rep:
?
update, my hearing is back to normal
my doctor doesn't want me to switch back to fluoexetine tho :< as if that's his choice to make, ;///////
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (126)
57.01%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (25)
11.31%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (27)
12.22%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.6%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
4.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed