aliciaporterx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I would love to go into primary education after uni but I'm currently doing an undergrad Biology degree. I have a decent amount of work experience in Schools and a bit of voluntary work but I'm worried that I won't look favourable to employers if my degree is in Biology rather than Education? Obviously after my degree I would take a primary PGCE, however I don't want to get my hopes up if its a big issue that I'm not on the Education degree path.

Can anyone advise?
Thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aliciaporterx)
I would love to go into primary education after uni but I'm currently doing an undergrad Biology degree. I have a decent amount of work experience in Schools and a bit of voluntary work but I'm worried that I won't look favourable to employers if my degree is in Biology rather than Education? Obviously after my degree I would take a primary PGCE, however I don't want to get my hopes up if its a big issue that I'm not on the Education degree path.

Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Biology would be fine as a first degree and it's likely you would appeal to schools as people with a science background are rare in primary. Primary teaching is more competitive than secondary teaching, but if you're a good teacher, you'll find jobs.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It will be fine. PGCE courses are relatively easy to gain access too with any good degree and if you have an aptitude for primary teaching getting work will be no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (75)
14.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.41%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.86%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed