gabriel001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Are some law schools/departments weaker in ensuring consistency in marking?

Are markers supposed to give marks according to the correct things (cases, points, argument) the student has written, or is it right for the marker to find fault with the essay and minus off marks for every single thing he/she doesn't agree with, or rather, doesn't know enough to be able to understand?

Is such a 'fault finding' marking method what the universities are doing now in order to prune off the excess students they accepted because of the pandemic?

Anybody experiencing the same thing? Like when you're expecting a first for an assignment or perhaps worst case scenario a second upper and then yet you get slapped with a 50+? And you find that the marker is finding fault unreasonably? For instance, saying that oh no you cannot write "it is submitted that", you must write "it is likely"? Am I in a parallel universe or does "it is submitted that" not mean "I argue that (just so you won't accuse me of sitting on the fence)"?

Or is it just my luck for ending up in this university?
Last edited by gabriel001; 1 week ago
Joleee
Badges: 19
?
Report 1 week ago
why do you think any marker would dock points for something they don't agree with? that's not a thing why do you think the marker wouldn't know enough on a subject to be able to mark the work? surely the student has sourced their work and so the marker can just look it up?

are you sure the markers at your uni are docking points for mistakes students have made in their work? like have you actually asked a lecturer who has confirmed this? that doesn't happen at my uni; you can make all kinds of mistakes and not lose marks. marks can only be earned; so you may get a first, for instance, if you've made enough accurate points, covered enough areas, plugged enough holes, demonstrated enough research. you won't lose a few marks tho for getting a few cases wrong.

fyi you shouldn't be writing your work in the first person; that's not academic writing, so maybe that's why the marker pointed it out to you?
Last edited by Joleee; 1 week ago
gabriel001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Am I sure? If I said it, then I'm sure! I'm not an idiot spouting nonsense am I? If there isn't a problem I wouldn't be *****ing about it would I? If I did only one quarter work would I feel its unfair if I only get one quarter marks?

Why are you trying to gaslight me, making me question my own experience? What for? Are you like a teacher's pet student representative or what? Are there ever so many people who are unsure of their own experience or is it just because you yourself are young and green and naive?

And WHY do I have to elaborate and justify myself to you? If you can't believe what I say then you must be a very unimaginative person why do I have to paint everything out for you?

If all the cases were applied and all articles used and an unwavering argument was made, or simply put, if the content was a first class essay, ought matters like whether I WROTE IN THE FIRST PERSON (which I did not), reduce it from a first class to second lower class???????! Maybe just shave a few points off, but two classes down?

I am inviting people to share their experiences similar or otherwise. Do me a favour don't come casting doubt on my post okay?
Last edited by gabriel001; 1 week ago
Gmaster1980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gabriel001)
Am I sure? If I said it, then I'm sure! I'm not an idiot spouting nonsense am I? If there isn't a problem I wouldn't be *****ing about it would I? If I did only one quarter work would I feel its unfair if I only get one quarter marks?

Why are you trying to gaslight me, making me question my own experience? What for? Are you like a teacher's pet student representative or what? Are there ever so many people who are unsure of their own experience or is it just because you yourself are young and green and naive?

And WHY do I have to elaborate and justify myself to you? If you can't believe what I say then you must be a very unimaginative person why do I have to paint everything out for you?

If all the cases were applied and all articles used and an unwavering argument was made, or simply put, if the content was a first class essay, ought matters like whether I WROTE IN THE FIRST PERSON (which I did not), reduce it from a first class to second lower class???????! Maybe just shave a few points off, but two classes down?

I am inviting people to share their experiences similar or otherwise. Do me a favour don't come casting doubt on my post okay?
Lol you definitely earned the result you got. Instead of coming on TSR and complaining, talk to your professor and see how you can improve next time.
3Engineer141592
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Lol. Deffo see why they got the mark they got hahaha. Snowflake
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s hard to say as mostly my marks were all similar bar one 52 for an essay which I knocked off in a weekend. Exams too all had similar marks.

But friends did report wildly different marks on say tort exams -68/65 then a 52. Which seemed like a different person marking one from the comments about style choices.

All you can do is maybe share with a friend who got good marks and see the differences. It is submitted sounds a bit too formal but I think plenty of the non English native speakers on my course would use that phrase.
legalhelp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

If the style, tone and content of these posts are anything to go by, then it is not remotely surprising that you got the mark you did!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is absolutely hilarious to me that you have the hubris to think an expert in their 'doesn't know enough' to understand the point you're making. That's seriously gold.

The comedic gold just keeps coming. Have you asked the marker for their feedback at all? The paragraphs of you crying like a child when questioned suggests you haven't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (188)
55.95%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (46)
13.69%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (38)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.23%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise