b447m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
If I were to get a first in the Maths and Physics OU course, would I have a chance at getting into Oxford for a Masters in theoretical physics?
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I noticed your other post, but may as well just answer on here.

There have been people who have studied the Q77 Mathematics and Physics degree, going on to study Cambridge's Maths Part III - which is probably one of the hardest maths courses in the UK, if not the world! So I don't see any issues with getting into Oxford Theoretical Physics.
b447m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by NovaeSci)
I noticed your other post, but may as well just answer on here.

There have been people who have studied the Q77 Mathematics and Physics degree, going on to study Cambridge's Maths Part III - which is probably one of the hardest maths courses in the UK, if not the world! So I don't see any issues with getting into Oxford Theoretical Physics.
Thanks so much for your reply, I noticed you've replied to my other post too, I'm ideally wanting to study my masters in theoretical physics at a good uni and I'm stuck which OU Batchelors to take because of the whole thing with degrees needing to be IOP accredited? I'm scared that I'll get my batchelors and then because it's missing some sort of accreditation I won't be able to do my masters do you have any advice/info? I looked at the OU physics degree but I'm worried it's not maths heavy enough, but the physics and mathematics degree is apparently not fully IOP accredited? I'm feeling a bit stuck
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
IoP accreditation is only if you want to become a "chartered" physicist. But even then, it's still possible by later study, or even time spent working within the field of Physics, so I wouldn't worry.

The only thing that makes the R51 degree accredited over the Q77 is the practical modules, which you could easily study on the side. Also, if studying for a Masters, you can even use that experience to promote your BSc to be accredited. Most Physics masters are accreditted anyway, especially from Oxford. So, it's not going to really affect you.

If it's theoretical physics you want to do, then the Mathematics and Physics degree from the OU will provide you with a solid foundation due to the extra maths modules. As I mentioned in the other thread, students have gone on to Cambridge's Maths III Tripos, which isn't for the faint of heart.

I have previously had this conversation with the admissions and Physics department at Oxford, and either degree is accepted, subject to good grades.

If you want to study an Astro module at Level 3, along with doing a practical module at Level 2 and a Dissertation at Level 3, then go for the straight Physics. However, if you want to study mathematics in more depth at Level 2, along with even more maths at Level 3, then go for the Mathematics and Physics course.

Either way, both will hold you in good steed. Just remember, that if you chose the Physics pathway and you worry about it not being as maths heavy, then try to realise that even though you may not cover as many certain maths topics, you will still have learned very advanced maths, along with showing you are capable of a very high level of mathematics by just passing the Quantum Physics and Electromagnetism modules, alone. You aren't expected to go into a Masters with total mastery and knowledge of Maths. Passing the modules I previously mentioned will be clear proof you are able to learn mathematics at a very high level, which will show them you can learn and catch up with any other branches of maths you need to. It would be literally impossible to teach every branch of mathematics as an undergraduate, required to understand everything at Masters. A Masters in Physics can go in many directions, which in turn, require different topics of maths. Even PhD students in Theoretical Physics are constantly having to teach themselves new maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (45)
13.24%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
27.35%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.65%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
32.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed