Flatmates Studying in the Kitchen

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I started uni a couple weeks ago, and my flatmates started out great. However, since Freshers ended most of them have taken up studying together in the kitchen. This would be fine if they weren't so apparently hostile about people using the kitchen while they study. They have started glaring at me when I come in to get a snack/watch TV/make food, and as a result I've started staying in my room and putting off making food. When they're not studying in there, they are perfectly nice people. I've already been having a lot of trouble with starting uni and making friends, and now I feel as though the people I live with already don't like me. However, I feel like since the kitchen/living area is a communal space I should be able to go about my business without being glared at for making my dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this?
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe it just looks like it. Unless they actually tell you off or say something then just keep doing what you're doing. If you're really bothered about it, you can tell them to not glare at you as it makes you uncomfortable and makes you think youre annoying them. It's a kitchen and that's what it should be used for, anything drink or food related. But it can be used for studying if they like
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I started uni a couple weeks ago, and my flatmates started out great. However, since Freshers ended most of them have taken up studying together in the kitchen. This would be fine if they weren't so apparently hostile about people using the kitchen while they study. They have started glaring at me when I come in to get a snack/watch TV/make food, and as a result I've started staying in my room and putting off making food. When they're not studying in there, they are perfectly nice people. I've already been having a lot of trouble with starting uni and making friends, and now I feel as though the people I live with already don't like me. However, I feel like since the kitchen/living area is a communal space I should be able to go about my business without being glared at for making my dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this?
I'd just try to ignore it I had a couple in my second year house who would have the most graphic sexually charged conversations ever just to make me uncomfortable while I was trying to make my self lunch (the boy friend was there so much that he should have paid rent we even had a house meeting about it but he never did as far as I know) I mean hell I live here if you want to talk about your sex life could you not hold off until I'm done I just want to eat it felt like they were kind of trying to chase me out of the kitchen which wasn't fair seeing as one of them virtually moved in but didn't pay any rent as far as I know.

As I say unless they actually say something ignore it if they do say anything just point out you live there too and should be able to make food if you want to or leave some little passive aggressive notes around not saying you wrote them of course.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just ignore them. You have every right to use the kitchen for its intended purpose (i.e. making and eating food); if they are annoyed by that, there are many other spaces specifically dedicated to studying.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would probably start a tv Rota -who wants to watch stuff when (as you can’t all watch different things) and agree study group only is okay until day 6 and after that tv goes on. I’d probably happily cook quietly during the daytime if they are studying then as a compromise.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
I would probably start a tv Rota -who wants to watch stuff when (as you can’t all watch different things) and agree study group only is okay until day 6 and after that tv goes on. I’d probably happily cook quietly during the daytime if they are studying then as a compromise.
Or get a TV card for your PC.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True. Though I remember as a new fresher, people coming into my room to watch neighbours (on at lunchtime and 5.30 back in 1991) as I had the only tv (black and white!) was a nice way to bond with people to have a regular “gather at this time to watch x”
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Kitchens are for preparing food in.
Libraries are for studying in.
Bedrooms are for sleeping and having fun in.

I suggest you remind your flatmates of these very basic concepts, if they clearly are objecting to you coming into the kitchen to make a meal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads