The Student Room Group

What is the FDM Group salary for graduates?

I am at the end of the recruitment process and was wondering what the salary is in 2021? I've noticed they now pay you a salary during your training period, too. Is this true? Anyone who has received an offer from there or is currently working there... would be appreciated. thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lawstudent10167
I am at the end of the recruitment process and was wondering what the salary is in 2021? I've noticed they now pay you a salary during your training period, too. Is this true? Anyone who has received an offer from there or is currently working there... would be appreciated. thanks!

I don't know. I didn't go through the process with them, but I did with Sparta Global, which works in similar way. Make you ask them to clarify any questions you may have before you sign your contract. I've never known these companies to pay for the training period, so make sure you clarify this and double check that it is in the contract. Typically the salaries aren't very high and will depend on location. The big thing to usually remember is that you must complete your commitment with them, which will include taking assignments at one of their partner companies wherever they are located. If you fail to complete your commitment, you will liable to excessively high fees for the bootcamp they put you through. At Sparta, this was like £15k. If you have the flexibility and no responsibilities keeping you in a single location, then it's not a bad way to get your foot in the door. They train you because they make a good fee for placing you with one of their partners. Once your contract is done, you may be lucky and get a perm contract directly with one of their partners.

My experience above is based on the software engineer roles. If you're going into a different area, then it could be completely different. But since you didn't clarify, I thought I'd share my experience based on that with a similar company.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lawstudent10167

They do offer you a salary during the training period, for the UK branch only. A recruiter told me its 18k during training and up until your first placement when it increases to 24k in your first year and 26k in your second. Despite the negative feedback in previous years, when I've been chatting to the recruiters they've been extremely helpful and actually want you to get in (I assume they make commission). For the tech graduates, they're dying for new graduates as theres a huge gap in the market, not so much for the business side.
Reply 3
Hi, I went through the FDM process earlier this year, so I hope my response helps. The FDM process for me was very positive, I received my offer for the graduate scheme in April 2020 and began my training in January 2021 (my start date was delayed due to COVID, they didn't want too many people signed off and no placements as when COVID first hit a lot of consultants were beached). By the time I started in January, apparently FDM were in their best spot with placements and on-site consultants, I think a lot of companies and industries realised the areas they were weak in and there was a huge market demand (especially for the technical streams). I know you hear horror stories surrounding FDM but for me and the rest of my training cohort, 90% of us had secured placements before even finishing our training. In terms of salary, it depends on whether your location is in or outside of London. They have started paying consultants once they have finished their training and awaiting a placement (I believe this was around 300£ per week). Once you have been placed, if you are in London- your salary is 25K in your first year and 27.5K in your second year. If you are outside of London then your salary is around the 23 mark and goes up to 26 in your second year if I remember rightly. You can also become a CPS mentor on site too and I believe that's an extra £100 per month. Once you have finished your 2 year contract with FDM, you can either go perm, contract or stay as a consultant with FDM. If you choose to stay as a consultant in your third year, your salary jumps massively. I can't give an exact figure as it varies on your client, role etc but I know it increases nearly 2 fold. I know you hear horror stories surrounding FDM, but I overall had a good experience. I think they are training back in the office now, I trained online so had a different experience but you form a good bond with your fellow trainees. I am glad they have started paying their signed off trainees now though as I have heard people during COVID were signed off for 3 months before finding a placement. With that being said, I don't think anybody will be waiting for a placement for long and everyone else I have spoken to who has also recently gone through the programme has said that all of their cohort were placed very quickly too due to the market shortage of consultants (especially tech). The last thing I would say is that whilst I would recommend FDM to people who are looking to get a foot in the door and break into the banking industry, placements can be a little bit hit or miss. If you choose to go through the programme, make sure you stand your ground with account managers as a lot of them can be very pushy and will put you forward for roles and industries that you may not want. I was lucky with my placement and really enjoy it, however they tried to make me go for a role in Birmingham originally (I am based in London)- so make sure you go in and know what you are looking for!Sorry for the long message but I tried to give you as best insight as I could!
Reply 4
Original post by TommyCov
Hi, I went through the FDM process earlier this year, so I hope my response helps. The FDM process for me was very positive, I received my offer for the graduate scheme in April 2020 and began my training in January 2021 (my start date was delayed due to COVID, they didn't want too many people signed off and no placements as when COVID first hit a lot of consultants were beached). By the time I started in January, apparently FDM were in their best spot with placements and on-site consultants, I think a lot of companies and industries realised the areas they were weak in and there was a huge market demand (especially for the technical streams). I know you hear horror stories surrounding FDM but for me and the rest of my training cohort, 90% of us had secured placements before even finishing our training. In terms of salary, it depends on whether your location is in or outside of London. They have started paying consultants once they have finished their training and awaiting a placement (I believe this was around 300£ per week). Once you have been placed, if you are in London- your salary is 25K in your first year and 27.5K in your second year. If you are outside of London then your salary is around the 23 mark and goes up to 26 in your second year if I remember rightly. You can also become a CPS mentor on site too and I believe that's an extra £100 per month. Once you have finished your 2 year contract with FDM, you can either go perm, contract or stay as a consultant with FDM. If you choose to stay as a consultant in your third year, your salary jumps massively. I can't give an exact figure as it varies on your client, role etc but I know it increases nearly 2 fold. I know you hear horror stories surrounding FDM, but I overall had a good experience. I think they are training back in the office now, I trained online so had a different experience but you form a good bond with your fellow trainees. I am glad they have started paying their signed off trainees now though as I have heard people during COVID were signed off for 3 months before finding a placement. With that being said, I don't think anybody will be waiting for a placement for long and everyone else I have spoken to who has also recently gone through the programme has said that all of their cohort were placed very quickly too due to the market shortage of consultants (especially tech). The last thing I would say is that whilst I would recommend FDM to people who are looking to get a foot in the door and break into the banking industry, placements can be a little bit hit or miss. If you choose to go through the programme, make sure you stand your ground with account managers as a lot of them can be very pushy and will put you forward for roles and industries that you may not want. I was lucky with my placement and really enjoy it, however they tried to make me go for a role in Birmingham originally (I am based in London)- so make sure you go in and know what you are looking for!Sorry for the long message but I tried to give you as best insight as I could!

Little late here but I'm London based and have just been offerred a role on FDM's software development stream. You say you managed to push for a London placement but how much agency do you really have in where you get placed? My recruiter keeps reassuring me that most tech clients are London based so I needn't worry about relocating, but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt...
Were most of your colleagues wanting London placements also given London placements or did you get lucky?
Was anyone forced to relocate?
Thanks for any insights!
Avoid these "training" companies - apply directly to companies for junior/graduate positions and cut out the middleman. You can learn most of the skills they teach at these bootcamps yourself during you free time if you actually have a passion/willingness to break into these careers and pass an interview.

The pay also looks awful.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hmay001
Little late here but I'm London based and have just been offerred a role on FDM's software development stream. You say you managed to push for a London placement but how much agency do you really have in where you get placed? My recruiter keeps reassuring me that most tech clients are London based so I needn't worry about relocating, but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt...
Were most of your colleagues wanting London placements also given London placements or did you get lucky?
Was anyone forced to relocate?
Thanks for any insights!

If you are a CS grad, especially one with an internship, definitely at other companies first. There a few programmes like this out there and they are okay to get your foot in the door if you don't have any commitments and can move about. You are tied into a 2 year contract. If they are putting you through their bootcamp, you will be charged a hefty fee (higher than was most coding bootcamps charge) to leave before that contract is up. I got an offer at Sparta Global, which is very similar. I was quoted £15k for the bootcamp if I left the contract early. I was also told they could guarantee a London placement (my son was 1 year old and we owned in SE London, so anywhere else wasn't possible). However, London placement usually means greater London. I was made aware that many of their clients were in Slough and Guildford, so for me that wasn't happening. I would never be able to get back in time to collect my son from nursery. My partner was the Chief Product Officer at a tech startup working crazy hours, so could do drop-offs by not collections. Needless to say, I turned it down. But had it been pre-child when I didn't own, then would've seriously considered it. But I was a career changer looking for a foot in the door after learning how to code on my own.

Refusal to go where you are needed could cause contract issues. These companies also aren't great about ensuring a positive working environment. It's a risk.

Here are a few links to some articles of note. Just so you can go in with your eyes wide open if there are no other options. Note that they faced legal action back in 2018 and nothing has changes with the other articles from 2021:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/01/capita-and-fdm-group-face-legal-action-from-former-employees-over-exit-fees
https://graduatefog.co.uk/2021/6632/trapped-by-exit-fees-at-fdm-a-graduates-story/
https://graduatefog.co.uk/2021/6796/exit-fees-campaign-ep5-big-brands-poised-to-dump-fdm-and-co/
(edited 1 year ago)
I have big problem , I apply for this company 2 time and before interview , I rejected!I'm software engineer and I studied software and web developer in college in 2021Do you know how can I create resume for accept ! Now I work as a digital marketer , but I like to work as a software developer
Use resume.IO

Quick Reply