Third year is making me miserable

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've given 3rd year a chance, 2 weeks in and I feel like crap. I'm trying to push through as I have two years left but 2 years of misery it feels like. I have a meeting with a counsellor tomorrow and my tutor has been ignoring me and it's been months. I feel so helpless and no idea what to do at this point.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've given 3rd year a chance, 2 weeks in and I feel like crap. I'm trying to push through as I have two years left but 2 years of misery it feels like. I have a meeting with a counsellor tomorrow and my tutor has been ignoring me and it's been months. I feel so helpless and no idea what to do at this point.
Hey Anonymous, so sorry to hear you're feeling this way It's not fair that your tutor isn't getting back to you. Is there anyone else on your course you could contact for academic support? Maybe an Advisor of Studies?

You're doing the right thing reaching out for a bit of extra help. I know it can feel so tough and students have been through such a tough couple of years lately. It's completely normal that you're feeling like this though so try to be kind to yourself. You can only do so much and push yourself so far. Have you always felt rubbish about your course or has is begun in your 3rd year? What is it that you study and do you still have an interest/passion for the area?

Hope you start to feel better soon and that chatting to someone today helps. Feel free to reach out if yo need to :hugs:

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey Anonymous, so sorry to hear you're feeling this way It's not fair that your tutor isn't getting back to you. Is there anyone else on your course you could contact for academic support? Maybe an Advisor of Studies?

You're doing the right thing reaching out for a bit of extra help. I know it can feel so tough and students have been through such a tough couple of years lately. It's completely normal that you're feeling like this though so try to be kind to yourself. You can only do so much and push yourself so far. Have you always felt rubbish about your course or has is begun in your 3rd year? What is it that you study and do you still have an interest/passion for the area?

Hope you start to feel better soon and that chatting to someone today helps. Feel free to reach out if yo need to :hugs:

- Caitlin
I don't have any advisors in my year I know of, and lecturers tend to shift the responsbility to contact other lecturers instead for help in general. It's later today, the meeting, so I hope I can get some piece of mind from the counselling session. Not hearing from my tutor is extra worry on me.

Thank you for your kind words, honestly there has been so much pressure and for me I've started feeling this since last year. Lock down hasn't been extremely helpful for mental health. I just feel demotivated and low all the time now, I hope I can get some reassurance today too.

Also thank you, I really appreciate it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I’m right there with you, lecturers have this habit of just saying contact xyz even if the question revolves around their modules. My tutor too has been silent with me would rather not answer emails however, I’m one to bring it up during group meetings and say it as it is “as you never responded to my email that I sent a few weeks ago I will ask you these questions here…” and I couldn’t care less about exposing them to the rest of the students as lazy bigoted careless individuals
Anonymous #1
I’m right there with you, lecturers have this habit of just saying contact xyz even if the question revolves around their modules. My tutor too has been silent with me would rather not answer emails however, I’m one to bring it up during group meetings and say it as it is “as you never responded to my email that I sent a few weeks ago I will ask you these questions here…” and I couldn’t care less about exposing them to the rest of the students as lazy bigoted careless individuals
It's actually good you did that because they can't keep getting away with neglecting students. Mine has not responded in 2 months. I'm going to bring it up in my counselling session as well. We pay far too much to let them do that to us. We are the ones who need guidance but they couldn't care less because 'they have proper jobs too' like, you signed up for this.
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey!

I just wanted to check in and see how it went today with the counsellor?

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling miserable, and hope your university experience improves dramatically for you. It's understandable that lockdown has caused such a detriment impact for many students, but please be proud of yourself for getting through such a terrible time and trying your hardest with your studies - it's really commendable!

Is there any other teams at your uni you can contact, such as the support services, if your tutor is not replying to you?

Becky
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey both,

I think you're both reasonable in bringing this up however you can in your classes - as long as you're polite and respectful as you can be Otherwise there's a chance nothing will change. I think you're right in that sometimes they have a lot of other things on their plate, but I'd hope that once it's brought to their attention (and particularly with others in the class) they'd want to address it.

Let us know how you get on! Good luck with it :crossedf:

- Caitlin
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Bradford)
Hey!

I just wanted to check in and see how it went today with the counsellor?

I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling miserable, and hope your university experience improves dramatically for you. It's understandable that lockdown has caused such a detriment impact for many students, but please be proud of yourself for getting through such a terrible time and trying your hardest with your studies - it's really commendable!

Is there any other teams at your uni you can contact, such as the support services, if your tutor is not replying to you?

Becky
At yesterday's session they said I could get support within the course but honestly the lecturers are good for nothing. It's hard for them to answer a simple question and make us feel stupid for asking. They have other mental health services but I don't feel comfortable.

Thank you I really appreciate that, since lockdown they've just expected us to adjust to the heavy content and weird exam system. It's a mess.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey both,

I think you're both reasonable in bringing this up however you can in your classes - as long as you're polite and respectful as you can be Otherwise there's a chance nothing will change. I think you're right in that sometimes they have a lot of other things on their plate, but I'd hope that once it's brought to their attention (and particularly with others in the class) they'd want to address it.

Let us know how you get on! Good luck with it :crossedf:

- Caitlin
Thank you, I really tried to be civil and made what I said less aggressive and less filled with rude words. Honestly I don't know how students are coping with this and feel like an outsider compared to the rest of my course. It feels like you can't talk to lecturers or leaders without backlash or feeling stupid for asking.

I really hope it does get better, but honestly can't wait to finish the degree and leave.

I appreciate the support truly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads